Welcome Room Member introductions

Unread 09-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
FOOTR1
Barefoot Skier

Name :
FOOTR1 has disabled reputation
Default Moving to FL, looking for home and Vetters

Hi Guys:
As you can see, I'm brand new to the site. The company has offered me the transfer to FL and my wife and I are looking at the Bradenton/Sarasota area or near by. We want to live somewhere with water access to the gulf (boating).
Looking for nice community or neighborhood. No jammed cookie cutter type houses for us. Would also like to connect with fellow Vette owners.
Home price range $600-800K. Needs to have great garage or potential for creating one. I detail sports cars in my spare time, mostly Vettes & Porsches. I'm not sure if I'll continue that practice after I move. Depends on how ugly my friends Vette are! LOL
Any suggestions on areas to look? The internet has my looking all over the place and I'm now confused a bit. I'm 53 and want this to be a long term place to live. Being able to water ski in "clam" water would be a big bonus. I don't not want to live on an inland lake, but would be willing to travel to get to one!
Thanks for any help.
Ross
FOOTR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
Mannings

Name : Rick Manning
Mannings is on a distinguished road

Hey FOOTR1, not sure where your office will be but I live in Nokomis, about 20miles south of Sarasota. I travel daily up to the Bradenton/Sarasota line just off University Parkway, about 30 minutes in the Vette.

If convient look south of Sarasota (Nokomis, Venice) plenty of water, a lot less populated and an all around great area. I believe the local Vette Club has about 200+/- members now.
Mannings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
FOOTR1
Barefoot Skier

Name :
FOOTR1 has disabled reputation

Thanks Mannings:
I'll be working from my home office so no daily drive concerns. The info you gave is the kind I'm looking for. I have faith in Vette people!
Keep the suggestions coming.
Thanks,
FOOTR1
FOOTR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Ther's a house for sale next door to me well within your price range. Our lots run just under an acre. We have a community dock soon to be extended to include boat lifts for each home. We are located in Northwest Bradenton on Palma Sola Bay. I am 55 and would welcome a vette neighbor.
ps: Palma Sola is perfect Clam water for skiing. Send me a pm if you want more info and I'll be glad to help in any way I can.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
RelentlessNiSMo

Name :
RelentlessNiSMo has disabled reputation

Either way!!1 Welcome to the site....great people in here!!!
RelentlessNiSMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

I'm a bit far north to help with your housing questions but welcome to the site anyway! I think you're gonna enjoy Florida and the folks here.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation

Welcome!

I can't help you too much since I live in the middle of the state, but I spend a decent amount of time in St. Pete and that's a nice place. Most of the houses are those cookie cutter settlements since it is pretty much a college town. But I have seen some very nice properties not very far from the beach. It may or may not be too close to Tampa for your tastes, and it's right off the interstate.
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
MRS. XTREME

Name :
MRS. XTREME is on a distinguished road

You have a bunch of choices here in FLA we have water everywhere

GOOD LUCK with your findings ...with the economy the way it is I am sure you can get a house no problem with that price range

So glad you joined us here..FLA is beautiful you will LOVE IT !!

~Keli~
MRS. XTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 01:44 AM   #9
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Since this is pretty much a "welcome" thread from you, I felt it more appropriately moved to the Welcome Room forum. Hope you don't mind.

Take some time and explore as much of Florida as you can before deciding to move here. There are a lot of really nice areas, so certainly you will find the perfect place for you if you look around a bit.

But in the meantime, just make yourself at home here. This will be a great place to make some lasting friends with like interests.

Good luck on your search!
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

aboard my friend and happy to have a new arrival to the state

As both Mannings and Thor mentioned, if you want to stay in the Sarasota/Bradenton area, there are a lot of choices.

With the real estate market being what it is for now, you should be able to find exactly what you want in that price range.

Venice, Nakomis, Naples, Port Charlotte, depends on how far south you want to go?

Left up to me, with your "resources", I'd be in one of those area as we write

Marks area is beautiful ane Manatee County has some of the best waterfront areas (IMO) in the area for single family, non-tract homesites

As a native here, and close to your age at 53 (in october), there are a few things you might want to keep in mind when looking for a place to roost:

1) We occassionally get our a$$es handed to us by hurricanes.
Living near or on the water is going to require that you evacuate when a storm approaches. Sometimes it in the form of a "suggestion" and at others, it's in the form of a "mandate." They're not going to force you out of your home. But if the crap hits the fan, you're on your own until or if rescue personnel can get to you.

Our Airboat Rescue Team (fl3ASAR) is in the process of working out an agreement (MOU) with the Manatee County Sheriff's Office, to assist them with hurricane, flooding and other shallow water rescue, patrol and recovery work, as well as "other needs" as required. We use airboats and amphibious tracked vehicles areas unreacheable quickly by conventional means.

Anyway, once the storm passes and you are finally allowed back into your neighborhood/home, you may then be confronted by the fact that you may not have a home
This is one of the hazards of living on/near the water in Florida. I wouldn't let that stop me because the percentage of risk (depending on where you live in the state) and the benefits I feel far outweigh the alternative.

I live inland in Tampa (about 15 minutes north of the closest open water area (Tampa Bay) and I'd move in a minute if I could!

2) Insurance- The insurance industry sucks here in Florida! You'll need flood as well as homeowners insurance, and good luck once the crap hits the fan, in getting the carrier to pay or pay in full and timely!

You can still see some "blue tarps" in the Venice/Port Charlotte area from years back

3) Check the flood maps for "local flooding" area. These are areas that flood when it clouds up. Seriously, there are some ares that flood with just a couple of hours of hard rain, which we generally get during the summer months. This will effect your insurance as well as possibly your ingress/egress to your home.

4) Check the crime stats.

Bradenton/Sarasota are starting to become more of a haven for some of the gang bangers and wanna be types. Most here have a solution for the problem, but we'd need to change the thinking of the courts and the "hand wringers" and, oh yes, buy more ammunition!

Anyway, check the stats for the area you're looking at to see what you're up against.

Finally, look into future planning boards agendas.

I've seen great areas that in 5-10 years, were nothing more than condos, apartments and other stuff, built among the once single family non-tract houses

Don't mean to be a downer, but just want you to be happy with your choices.

I'm a native here (when I leave I'm taking the flag with me!!! Oh yeah! I "ain't leavin'!) and retired LEO. I'm in Bradenton and Sarasota frequently on business so I stay pretty well in touch with the goings on down that way.
Also have a friend whose still a LEO with the Manatee Co. S.O.

If there's anything I can help you research, please feel free to ask here or pm me.

Welcome again

Gordon

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote