The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 07-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation
Default Deputy killed

Okaloosa county lost one of theirs. Apparently he was killed trying to help a mentally ill man who walked out of a medical facility. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

http://http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/one_9616___article.html/sheriff_office.html
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Another one And so senseless!

I've seen this time and time again Usually not out of a SWAT team, but it happens:

Quote:
Rohlman had barricaded himself in the house, armed with a shotgun. Neighbors said the home had been vacant for months and the phone disconnected after Walter Rohlman, the shooter's father, died in late December 2007.
Whats the hurry to make an entry? To keep him from killing himself?

Quote:
Some of Rohlman's family members arrived at the home early Tuesday and told deputies they thought he was inside and unstable.
Really? What was thier first clue?

Quote:
Florida Department of Law Enforcement Assistant Special Agent Steve Desposito, said the SRT team decided to go in to prevent Rohlman from harming himself, or someone else.
Let him harm himself. It's better than killing someone else. Based upon his previous actions, it's apparent that he's hell bent on doing it anyway!

Quote:
"At some point you have to make that decision," Desposito said.
Sure you do, but you don't walk in the front Freakin' door with a key!

Damn son! Use your flash bangs! Some distraction techniques, something to keep him from fixating on killing you bro

I mean hell! It was an abanoned house! Gas his ass out!

My heart goes out to this young deputy, his friends and family. God rest his soul.

And may the perp burn in....well...you get my drift....
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

What surprises me is, this guy walked out of the hospital not once, but twice. While being transported to the hospital, he kicked out the window of the patrol car. If he's in the hospital under court order, shouldn't he be under guard, or at least increased watch? It should never have gotten to the point where he was in a position to harm or kill someone.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dalton View Post
What surprises me is, this guy walked out of the hospital not once, but twice. While being transported to the hospital, he kicked out the window of the patrol car. If he's in the hospital under court order, shouldn't he be under guard, or at least increased watch? It should never have gotten to the point where he was in a position to harm or kill someone.
Amen Mark
Unread 07-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

I'm not an SRT member, but who called that play? One of the first things taught in the academy was that time is on OUR side.....
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
I'm not an SRT member, but who called that play? One of the first things taught in the academy was that time is on OUR side.....
That's exactly what I was thinking brother

Time, intell, the fact that he was ALONE in an abandoned house...!!

I hate to say it, but prior to that point, the only one that was likely to be injured/killed...was the nutjob! I know it says "to serve and protect" and we all want to save a life. That said, there was still no reason after only three (3) hours, for an entry.

If you do need to enter, most teams have an arsenal of measures at thier disposal. It was an abandoned house...chemicals? flash bangs? Distraction?

Even the APC if necessary...but NOT a damned key in the front door!!!!!

That whole scenario just upsets me

I mean you know man, we all mess up. God knows I have over the years. Sometimes we're lucky and other times not so. It's certainly not fair to monday morning quarterback; however, some things, just as you mentioned, are just glaringly obvious!!

In the L/E community, we absolutely must critcally review these matters so they NEVER happen again!

Hopefully, there will be a "serious" review of the tactics employed, and command structure and thought processes, so this will never happen again!

I Just don't want to take anything away from the Deputy that lost his life. He was just doing what he apparently loved to do, was instructed to do, and the best he could do it with what he was given to work with

R.I.P. YOUNG WARRIOR.