The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 07-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Router died today...

Damn... had a hellacious storm blow through late this afternoon. Power went out for a few hours and when it came back on, I found that my router was dead. I unplugged the Comcast cable from the cable modem, since I lost network stuff before from that source of electrical turbulence. But to no avail this time. The router is dead as a brick for some reason. So I have to plug my system directly into the cable modem to get internet access to it. Guess I have to trace the cable for my email system so I can download emails as well. Of course, I can't print anything, because I have both printers hooked up as network devices. I probably could switch one of them to a USB connect, but something tells me if I do that, the system may never recognize it again as a networked device.

BTW, does anyone know the max distance of an ethernet cable run? I would like to run a cable to the ex-reptile building and put a switch in there so I can move at least one system over there, but still have access to the local network I have in the house. Unless there is a way to get a gigabit connection via wireless and have a range of about 150 feet.

Sigh... guess I've got to run out tomorrow to find another D-Link router to swap out the dead one. Since both CompUSA and Circuit City went kaput in Tallahassee, there are very few options to find computer paraphernalia locally any longer. There is a Best Buy that has a fair selection, but I often walk out of there empty handed, it seems. And an HHGregg that is pretty much useless. Office Depot is SUPPOSED to have them in stock, but we'll see.... If I don't find one locally, then I will have to overnight one in from mail order or be stuck over the weekend in limp mode.
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Very bad lightning storm! A house about two miles from you took a direct hit and burned. It hit a pine tree about twenty feet from my house and split it to the ground!
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Curacao
Island in the Caribbean.

Name : Timothy Halley
Curacao is on a distinguished road

The maximum allowed length of a Cat-6 cable is 100 meters (330 ft) when used for 10/100/1000BASE-T. This consists of 90 meters (300 ft) of solid "horizontal" cabling between the patch panel and the wall jack, plus 10 meters (33 ft) of stranded patch cable between each jack and the attached device. Since stranded cable has higher attenuation than solid cable, exceeding 10 metres of patch cabling will reduce the permissible length of horizontal cable.

When used for 10GBASE-T, Cat-6 cable's maximum length is 55 meters (180 ft) in a favourable alien crosstalk environment, but only 37 meters (121 ft) in a hostile alien crosstalk environment such as when many cables are bundled together. 10GBASE-T runs of up to 100 meters (330 ft) are permissible using Cat-6a.

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

-----
Curacao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curacao View Post
The maximum allowed length of a Cat-6 cable is 100 meters (330 ft) when used for 10/100/1000BASE-T. This consists of 90 meters (300 ft) of solid "horizontal" cabling between the patch panel and the wall jack, plus 10 meters (33 ft) of stranded patch cable between each jack and the attached device. Since stranded cable has higher attenuation than solid cable, exceeding 10 metres of patch cabling will reduce the permissible length of horizontal cable.

When used for 10GBASE-T, Cat-6 cable's maximum length is 55 meters (180 ft) in a favourable alien crosstalk environment, but only 37 meters (121 ft) in a hostile alien crosstalk environment such as when many cables are bundled together. 10GBASE-T runs of up to 100 meters (330 ft) are permissible using Cat-6a.

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable
Thanks! That should be more than enough for my needs. All I need to do then is to punch a hole through the floor, bury the cable across the yard, then punch a hole through the concrete wall of the building and put in a jack panel. Piece of cake...