The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Detailing

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Detailing The art of having gleam and sparkle in your ride and pride. From fixing an abused finish to keeping your perfect one that way.

View Poll Results: Here's My Vote On Corvette Detailing
I'm a Serious Detailer with Serious Equipment 12 63.16%
I Use Wal*Mart Available Detailing Products e.g Maguiars 6 31.58%
I Regularly Pay for A Quality, Commericial, Detailer 0 0%
I Think All My Detailing Can Be Done At A Gas Station 0 0%
Why Detail, Only Going to Get Dirty Again 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 05-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
jpalamaro

Name :
jpalamaro has disabled reputation
Default DIY Detailers Poll and Questions?

Ok, I'm a detailing fanatic, likely to the point where a psycho-Doc could get rich on me. Chances are I will not be cured and might even sway the Doc to my way of thinking. Simply said, when detailing a vehicle, get great satisfaction. Who knows why for sure. Perhaps it's something as simple as: Ugly/Dirty before, Beautiful/Clean after. Running an IT business nowhere near as gratifying. But I'm bush league, with Maguiar's products, etc. and would like to get into the power buffing, clay, sand, grit, whatever. I have my wife's old 2002 ML500 in Navy Blue to practice on prior to even thinking of my BLACK/BLACK/BLACK '09 convertible. which is always covered in my 'toy' garage.

So, any real detailers out there? Equipment, products, how'd ya learn, etc?
jpalamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
TR6speed

Name :
TR6speed is on a distinguished road

My wife says I am annal when it comes to detailing the Corvette. Besides the paint, engine compartment and interior, I also polish the aluminum suspension and wash the underside of the car.
TR6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Yea I can't just wash and dry the car, I have to get in every nook and cranny to get evrey piece of dirt and water out of the car. A "quick wash" turns into 2-3 hours... LOL
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
jpalamaro

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
Yea I can't just wash and dry the car, I have to get in every nook and cranny to get evrey piece of dirt and water out of the car. A "quick wash" turns into 2-3 hours... LOL
You know you are a sicko if Johnson Q-tips, a leaf blower, a de-ionized water system, are just part of your equipment!
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road

I think if my paint was pristine like most vettes i would detail more often, but it was obvious when i bought it; it was a daily driver and it's my current daily driver... it's got so many scrathes on it, i think i full detail would just make me more upset of its paint condition than happy! as it sits i haven't washed it in about a month. plus i have no garage so 2 days after a wash it's dirty again.
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

You do not need to mortgage the homestead to have every little gizmo and widget out there to keep your car clean...All my cleaning and detailing supplies are can be found @ Wal/Kmart, Target and believe it or not some of the same products are found @ Big Lots for much less $$...For normal driving use, I usually wash and do an overall fast detail (1-1.5 hours) but when preparing for show I thouroughly detail what is visible (2-3 hours)...I must admit I do use a leaf blower for drying (same one I use for garden work) for easier drying...
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

For black cars best wax to use IMO from it being used on my car and seen on other black cars....Pinnacle Souveran.

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/souveran.html

Heres a pic thats 2mths old from the previous detail job Rob did for me. This is a raw photo, no editing. Only thing Im not a fan of is the paint job a shop did on the front bumper, seems dull compared to rest of body.

I really want to repaint the whole car something else, black is just to much to deal with down in florida with all the pollen, dust, other crap. Im leaning towards a lambo/new viper green possibly lol...time will tell.
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
jpalamaro

Name :
Default I Almost Traded . . .

When I got the black/black/black and saw what it took, if not for losing about 20,000 bucks, I was going to get a white one with tan top. My wife has an MB ML550 in white, so, so easy to keep looking good.

My black, fogs (in the garage) and the overhead fluorescent lights I see every detail. Glad to know there are some crazies out here also! Misery loves company? Even with a paint job, still left with the black interior, ah well, the pain we crazies must endure?

And, there's gotta be a special place in hell (below the lawyers) for the sprinkler systems that run in the road to muck up a clean car!
Unread 05-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
XQIZT
Defender of the C4's

Name :
XQIZT is on a distinguished road

Washing and waxing is great. BUT what about your swirl marks? For a true WOW experience you need to polish with a machine. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Adam's products. They do not attempt to hide swirls etc in the paint...they REMOVE them. You will NEVER see a better finish on your car.

I have really gotten into detailing since owning and have tried a lot of products...trust me, Adam's is the only stuff I use anymore.

Adamspolishes.com - check out Junkman2008 there...or feel free to ask me any questions here...and no, I don't work for them and receive no compensation from them.
Unread 05-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
jpalamaro

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
Washing and waxing is great. BUT what about your swirl marks? For a true WOW experience you need to polish with a machine. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Adam's products. They do not attempt to hide swirls etc in the paint...they REMOVE them. You will NEVER see a better finish on your car.

I have really gotten into detailing since owning and have tried a lot of products...trust me, Adam's is the only stuff I use anymore.

Adamspolishes.com - check out Junkman2008 there...or feel free to ask me any questions here...and no, I don't work for them and receive no compensation from them.
Exactly why I've started this thread. I've not touched the Vette yet...tried some topical stuff, local brand here is Topcoat. It has since been done by a pro detailer and has not been even in the rain since! Black has got to be the worst of worst.