The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 01-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Classy
Car Arts Auto Detailing

Name :
Classy has disabled reputation
Default competitve mood?

Hello everyone,This may be a stupid ?,But I'm alittle confused about what actully happens to my 02 coupe when I press the button to competitive mood?What I mean,is what on the car pysically happens,full posi?stuff like that.Does it affect the power in the car?Any help will do.sorry if this is a dumb ?,my first vette.thank you for any help.
Classy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Assuming you meant Comp Mode..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------EDIT:I tried clicking the links and NOTHING... but you can type it into your search engine.
~Ray

Does anyone know what competative driving mode is? If I hold down the TC button for 5 seconds it shuts off TC and AH. If I push the button once it shuts off TC. If I push the button twice it enters competative driving mode. Push the button again and everything is back on. I've read and been told that CDM is just TC off and AH on which makes no sense since you get that with TC off (push button once).
Thanks

goatts
View Public Profile
Send a private message to goatts
Find More Posts by goatts
Add goatts to Your Buddy List

12-24-2006, 08:43 PM #2
CessnaDriver
CF Senior Member

My Corvette Photos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Active handling is less invasive in comp mode.

CessnaDriver
View Public Profile
Send a private message to CessnaDriver
Send email to CessnaDriver
Find More Posts by CessnaDriver
Add CessnaDriver to Your Buddy List

12-24-2006, 09:30 PM #3
TrackNoob
CF Senior Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatts
Does anyone know what competative driving mode is? If I hold down the TC button for 5 seconds it shuts off TC and AH. If I push the button once it shuts off TC. If I push the button twice it enters competative driving mode. Push the button again and everything is back on. I've read and been told that CDM is just TC off and AH on which makes no sense since you get that with TC off (push button once).
Thanks

First, the links will give you the answer to your question.

Second, though, I hope the next time someone tells his buds that using the computer is for wimps (not refering to you, goatts; just have heard argument before and figure this is a way to just point to the 'experts' view), they can come to this post and quickly listen to what the real experienced drivers who have been to the school of hard knocks with their own (fast!) cars say in just these couple of links. Lot of combined wisdom there! :

Four Modes:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...15&postcount=3

Competitive mode:

The Owner's Manual:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1&postcount=18

Ranger:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...00&postcount=6

MyHardtop:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...9&postcount=30

billywallstreet73:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...51&postcount=5

Bill Curlee:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...82&postcount=7

Fast & Lazy:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...4&postcount=21

Last edited by TrackNoob : 12-24-2006 at 09:51 PM.

TrackNoob
View Public Profile
Send a private message to TrackNoob
Find More Posts by TrackNoob
Add TrackNoob to Your Buddy List

12-24-2006, 10:35 PM #4
goatts
CF Member

Great info TrackNoob! Thanks. One of the reasons I asked this question was that I went to the drags for the first time last weekend and I left TC on for all passes since I had heard horror stories and I did not have any experience driving with TC off. Everyone was telling me to turn it off but I did not want the dragstrip to be my first practice session with TC off. Think I'll turn it off at the autox though and see what happens there. No walls to hit on the runway. Then I may try it at the drags. Think like I'll leave AH on though.

goatts
View Public Profile
Send a private message to goatts
Find More Posts by goatts
Add goatts to Your Buddy List

12-24-2006, 10:39 PM #5
06C6Z
CF Senior Member

[the drags. Think like I'll leave AH on though.[/quote]

06C6Z
View Public Profile
Send a private message to 06C6Z
Send email to 06C6Z
Find More Posts by 06C6Z
Add 06C6Z to Your Buddy List

12-25-2006, 08:37 AM #6
black05c6z51
CF Senior Member

in cdm yu will never see the system kick in unless it is saving yur a$$! it backs the perimiters off enough to let the back end to come out about a foot. i never turn off a.c.

black05c6z51
View Public Profile
Send a private message to black05c6z51
Send email to black05c6z51
Find More Posts by black05c6z51
Add black05c6z51 to Your Buddy List

Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - ???? > C6 Tech/Performance
Competative Driving Mode
Unread 01-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
Default classy

I found this information...
---------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what the owner's manual states:

"Competitive Driving Mode allows the driver to have full control of the rear wheels while the Active Handling System helps steer the vehicle by selective brake application. The instrument cluster light will not be on. The Traction Control System will not be operating. Adjust your driving accordingly."
Unread 01-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Classy
Car Arts Auto Detailing

Name :

Yes that's what i meant,pushing the button until your in competive driving ,but what actully happens to the car?does it effect the power in any ways?Does the car go into full posi?stuff like that.Thanks all for all the info.
Unread 01-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
Default Another post on the subject...

There have been TOOOOOOO many C5 and C6 drivers that thought that they didnt need the help of "ACTIVE HANDLING" and just turned the entire traction control system to OFF!

Then you read the post "TOTALED MY CAR LAST NIGHT" I was a dumb ass and turned my TRACTION CONTROM/AH to OFF I wish i would have left it on or in COMP MODE!!

Unless you have hit to LOTO and have lots of cash and 9 lives, select COMP MODE or leave it in TC/AH ON. You may think your a good driver but when the rear end starts to swap ends with the front end, it's way too late and far too expensive and then sometimes DEADLY!:

I agree with CYA-Vett Get some empty parking lot or driving course expierence before you go in un-protected! AH isnt fail safe (you can't out smart the laws of physics ) but it will help keep you out of the ditch or away from a tree!

Have you read you owners manual or watched the owners video or CD tape that comes with the car. That explains everything you ever wanted to know about the way the car handles using various traction control system modes!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And Another post:
vette-oholic is exactly right.

I make passes at the drag strip in Traction control System Off, the message that appears in the DIC after one push of the console button. This allows wheel spin while protecting the car via the most aggressive form of Active Handling should the rear get loose under acceleration.

On my C5Z06s the rear end came loose on two of 500 passes, and Active Handling saved me both times. Conversely, I've seen five C5s hit the wall at the drags and all had the active handling computer turned off. Very dumb driver error. AH-Off is all risk and no reward at the drag strip. People that say TC-off is slower in the 1320' are FOS.
Unread 01-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Classy
Car Arts Auto Detailing

Name :

Thanks for the help,I have push the button only once,and that was in the driveway,Safety First for me,I was just curios,and yes I have read the manual a bunch of times and watch my video,love that thing.Never planning to race her,just wanted to know what actually takes place in that mode.Thanks to all,I love this Forum,awesome info about all things on Vettes.
Unread 01-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

If you push the button once, it turns off AH and TC. Push it again and AH and TC are back on. Push the button and hold it for 3-5 seconds and the DIC displays "competitive driving". Comp mode means that AH is on and TC is off. I've never noticed that it affected power at all.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #8
SRQC5
The Self-Proclaimed King

Name :
SRQC5 is on a distinguished road

didnt they change it in 2001 so that you can do it put it in comp mode while moving?
Build Plant : 1Y5Y - BOWLING GREEN Halltech stinger, LS6 Intake, 3.15 gears, Dynatech headers, Procats, X-pipe, Borla stingers, MSD 8.5mm wires, drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic brakes, Dyno tune/HP Tuners.
SRQC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 01:33 AM   #9
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

With my '02 Z06 (C5), the sequence for the Active Handling button goes like this:
  1. Automatically put TC and AH on when you start the car.
  2. Press AH button once - turns off AH and TC.
  3. Hold down AH button for about 5 seconds - turns off TC, but leaves AH on (Competitive Mode).

Apparently they changed the button sequence in the C6 model.
  1. Automatically put TC and AH on when you start the car.
  2. Press AH button once - turns off TC only. AH is still on.
  3. Press AH button and hold for 5 seconds - turns off AH and TC.
  4. Press AH button button twice within 5 seconds - turns off TC but AH is still on (Competitive Mode).
The above is as it is described in my Corvette 2007 User Manual, pages 279 thru 283. And it makes no sense to me at all. There is no indication of what the difference is between #2 and #4, as they BOTH disable TC and have AH active.

As for the posi-traction (limited slip) that is ALWAYS on regardless of what mode you are in.

I have never heard anyone claim that AH and TC mode affect anything else on the car, especially power delivery, but I have to make an observation here that may simply be all my imagination. It feels to me that I have BETTER low end throttle response when AH and TC are enabled on my C5Z, rather than having the car in Competitive Mode. I have tried this several times, and it certainly does feel like that to me. Which, of course, doesn't really make sense to me. I could understand it somewhat if I had an automatic transmission and some voodoo was taking place in torque management, but not sure why I am feeling this difference with a manual transmission. Although, some people DO claim that there is torque management taking place even with the manual transmission.....
Unread 01-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQC5
didnt they change it in 2001 so that you can do it put it in comp mode while moving?
That's very possible. I've done it while moving or sitting still. My Z is an '02.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote