The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 03-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road
Default LS2 Limits.

So my next endeavor is to boost the vette. I had planned on swapping out different heads(Livernois has a nice setup, for a good price) to help compensate the boost. Stage 2 heads specs...

New GM 243 casting
5 axis CNC machined
Fully assembled
220cc Intake Runner
Intake Flow Rate 305 CFM
Exhaust Flow Rate 235 CFM
New 2.000 intake valves / 1.550 exhaust valves
GM valve seals and locks
Livernois dual coil valve springs good to ~ .690 lift
Manley titanium retainers
No core required
----For 1449.00, and 300 core refund.

I was also told to use forged pistons and rods, understandable.

Tonight at a meet, Tim had mentioned since the heads will be coming off to throw in a blower cam. So it had me thinking of also adding a cam now, cause i love the sound of a lopy V8, specially with a s/c whine.

With adding forged pistons/rods, and putting in a torque converter(25 or 26 hundred), could the motor/tranny handle that additional power without going kaboom? As of now im putting out 362whp/367tq on CAI, Fast90, 90mm t/b, Dynatech 1 7/8" LT's, Magnaflow 3" catback.

Ive been told by a few people that the motor is only good for 550hp, and tranny for the same. Yet ive seen a few threads with guys making 600+ and not mentioning fully builtup motor and nothing wrong with motor after x amount of miles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thought id ask here before posting on the other vette forum and have my head ripped off for asking a serious question.
Unread 03-09-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
coolassbrad

Name :
coolassbrad is on a distinguished road

well if your going that far with a motor I would build a tranny and add a gear and add a heavy duty rear
coolassbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

From what i hear from the non-bs people, is that the 6L80E is a bullet proof tranny, just the tc would need to be upgraded to handle the power. but i like to hear from other people who had work done, or do the work "wink wink" vendors lol.

stock rear is the 8.8 correct?, if so thatll hold. i shouldnt be making more then 650hp and 580-600 tq.
Unread 03-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

It probably depends on how you plan on driving the car. If you plan on taking it to the drag strip and running a bunch of quarter mile runs with sticky drag radials on the rear, yeah, you will probably break things by boosting the motor and not beefing up the rest of the drivetrain.

But if you are just DRIVING the car with occasional punches to the accelerator while in motion, instead of from a dead stop, the shock to the drivetrain should be minimal and you should be OK. Even dead stop launches will be pretty much OK if you are using street tires and try to avoid wheel hop. With wheel hop, your drivetrain experiences a rapid series of transitions from no load to full load and can easily cause some impressive damage.

The thing that breaks drivetrain components is a transition from no load to full load ABRUPTLY and SUDDENLY. Your rear tires are normally the safety fuse and the smoke they make is them saving something else from going *pop*. So if you drive in such a manner as to keep wheel spin to a minimum, you are also driving in such a way that will keep those transitional forces from tearing things up.
Unread 03-09-2008, 12:40 AM   #5
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

The car is my daily driver. It gets the occasional punchs on I275 going to tampa for school, but other then that nothing heavy. i havent even taken it to the track nor do i plan to in the future(dont wanna install a massive roll cage to find out how fast i run a 1/4, not worth it). I rarely punch it off the line, i roll into first when i know theres enough spin then ill punch it. and i have some kdw2's waitin to go on, so no crappy traction uses like the stock runcraps.

This is all ive found.

Type: Six-speed RWD / AWD, electronically controlled automatic overdrive transmission with torque converter clutch. Clutch-to-clutch architecture, with integral Electro / Hydraulic Controls Module
Maximum engine power: 413 bhp (308 kW)
Maximum engine torque: 430 lb-ft (583 Nm)
Maximum gearbox torque: 664 lb-ft (900 Nm)

Important number pertaining to my question is the gearbox number correct? Cause i came across some other sites with the hummer h2 producing 415 engine torque. and if headers/exhaust were done it would surpass the engine torque limits.
Unread 03-09-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
Dick
My two boo's \/

Name :
Dick has disabled reputation

are the pistons in that engine cast or forged and whats the compression ratio?
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

As mentioned, if it's a regular drag car, then you'll need to upgrade the rear and the trans significantly.

If it see's the occasional track day and regular street driving, then you should be ok

You can hit the track once without a roll bar and get you're #'s.

They'll warn you if you're under a certain time, or tell you to lave until you've installed the bar/cage.

What kind of SC are you using?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

I guess ill make one pass when everything is done.

And im gonna go with the procharger p1sc.

Dick, i believe they are cast. and the compression ratio is a 10.9
Unread 03-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

If you're going FI, ported heads are nice, but not very cost-effective. A pound of boost will equal a head upgrade.

The conventional wisdom on the Corvette 6L80E is that it is not bulletproof, quite the contrary. 500 rwhp is considered the upper limit. It is not the same unit as is in the trucks. A search at CF in the C6 FI section should reveal all. Or call the Corvette transmission gurus at RPM Transmissions and ask Rodney. Or talk to Next Level Performance, EnglandGreen, or any of the other Florida tuners with a lot of PROVEN Corvette C6 FI experience (it's not everyone).

The maximum engine torque is your number of concern. The maximum gearbox torque allows for the torque multiplication of the torque converter.

"Built motor" in this context generally means forged pistons. All the other stock components are capable of handling 800 rwhp, although most guys change to an aftermarket rod when they're in there. The stock rods should have the bolts replaced, and by the time you get them resized, etc., it just as cheap to go to a forged rod. You will need stronger valve springs to compensate for the boost pressure on the backside of the valve.

Most FI cam recommendations will come down on the "not lopey" side. EnglandGreen has a lot of experience with centri superchargers and lopey to extremely lopey cams. Let him spec one for you.

Oh, and consider the ECS Paxton blower setup.

The best way to do this, I think, is to work with a proven FI tuner/builder and follow their recommendations. Learn from the "blown" motors that have gone before you.

Good luck with your project!
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet View Post
If you're going FI, ported heads are nice, but not very cost-effective. A pound of boost will equal a head upgrade.

The conventional wisdom on the Corvette 6L80E is that it is not bulletproof, quite the contrary. 500 rwhp is considered the upper limit. It is not the same unit as is in the trucks. A search at CF in the C6 FI section should reveal all. Or call the Corvette transmission gurus at RPM Transmissions and ask Rodney. Or talk to Next Level Performance, EnglandGreen, or any of the other Florida tuners with a lot of PROVEN Corvette C6 FI experience (it's not everyone).

The maximum engine torque is your number of concern. The maximum gearbox torque allows for the torque multiplication of the torque converter.

"Built motor" in this context generally means forged pistons. All the other stock components are capable of handling 800 rwhp, although most guys change to an aftermarket rod when they're in there. The stock rods should have the bolts replaced, and by the time you get them resized, etc., it just as cheap to go to a forged rod. You will need stronger valve springs to compensate for the boost pressure on the backside of the valve.

The best way to do this, I think, is to work with a proven FI tuner/builder and follow their recommendations. Learn from the "blown" motors that have gone before you.

Good luck with your project!
Corey, There's a trmendous amount of wisdom here. I'd take this info very seriously if I were you.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote