The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 12-20-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road
Angry This Rant Has Been Two Weeks In The Making

First of all, I want to thank Ray for providing us with place to blow a gasket without any peripheral damage taking place...

This tale begins back in April of this year when I brought my 05 Coupe to the dealer so that they could see for themselves the deteriorating finish on my polished aluminum wheels. Since the time I had purchased the vehicle, small spider web like lines had formed on the surface of the wheels on the inside as well as the outside surfaces. Upon inspection, they immediately agreed with me that there was a problem with the wheels but in the same breath refused to call it a defect in the wheels. When they inquired what I was using to clean them, I replied that I was using the same products being used on the car's body. They then took pics of the wheels and supposedly conferred with their "Engineers" in Detroit. Shortly thereafter they came back and told me that there was nothing they could do since no TSB's were in effect regarding the wheels. My work order states very clearly that possible cause was caused by brake dust etching the wheels.

On the following day, I contacted the General's crack team at customer support in Detroit and explained my dilemma to them. After several calls back and forth, they to came to the same conclusion that issue was not defect related.

A couple of weeks later, I filed a complaint against GM with the BBB. A few days later GM called me and tried to buy me off with a free oil change (I have a maintenance plan in force) and after I refused, countered with free car payment (granted car is paid off). They then told me that since my problem was of an "environmental" type, there was nothing they were willing to do. Despites my many requests made for an explanation of "environmental" that they were using, I never got a clear answer.

After several weeks of paperwork shuffling back and forth between the BBB and myself, an arbitration hearing took place. GM customer spokeswomen attended the hearing via teleconference. She had no technical knowledge whatsoever regarding the issue at hand and I am afraid the arbitrator was no better. My presentation lasted approx. 20 minutes, GM's presentation was less than 5 minutes. Arbitrator inspected wheels and doodled on his pad. No clear explanations were made by GM at the hearing. I gave them three options that I would consider: 1-wheel replacement, 2- reimbursement of wheels or repair of wheels.

Ruling came in against me. Arbitrator's wording mirrored that of GM which left a very bad taste in my mouth. It was as if the BBB was the General's mouthpiece. The only option I have now is to fork over another $1500 and buy wheels, thus the reason for my ranting...

Thanks again to Ray...
Unread 12-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road

sorry to hear of your ordeal...

i think getting the wheels re-plated or refinished or whatever the process is would be a little cheaper than new wheels.
Unread 12-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Certainly sounds like the BBB had some backdoor pressure applied. Money talks..........

Is the arbitration binding? Not all of them are. If not you could file a small claims court lawsuit against GM.
Unread 12-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

THis is a real bummer. It's not like you didn't try the normal channels and bust your butt. In the aftermath, I wonder if your wheels could somehow be painted or polished to avoid having to buy new wheels. Iwonder what black wheels would like like on your silver vette. It might actually look pretty Cool. I know that several yellow ones have opted for all black wheels. Just a thought. Good luck and thanks for sharing your story. And by the way, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #5
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mte.smiles View Post
THis is a real bummer. It's not like you didn't try the normal channels and bust your butt. In the aftermath, I wonder if your wheels could somehow be painted or polished to avoid having to buy new wheels. Iwonder what black wheels would like like on your silver vette. It might actually look pretty Cool. I know that several yellow ones have opted for all black wheels. Just a thought. Good luck and thanks for sharing your story. And by the way, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too.
something like this
Unread 12-20-2007, 11:16 PM   #6
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris308 View Post
something like this
Very Nice.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #7
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Wow, I like those black wheels.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Certainly sounds like the BBB had some backdoor pressure applied. Money talks..........

Is the arbitration binding? Not all of them are. If not you could file a small claims court lawsuit against GM.
Arbitration is binding on the manufacturer and it is contingent on whether I accept or not, which I have not...
Unread 12-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Hey Als,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Certainly sounds like the BBB had some backdoor pressure applied. Money talks.......... you could file a small claims court lawsuit against GM.

With Richz. Looks like you've put some time and effort into this thus far and if you aren't ready to give up...why not?.

Good Luck with your endeavor

Happy Holidays to ya!!!
Unread 12-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
LEJ ZO6
LEJ ZO6

Name :
LEJ ZO6 has disabled reputation

I have corrosion on the inside of a chrome front wheel on a C5. I didn't go as far as you did. I didn't go to arbitration. I did have the service department at Ferman tell me it was a "cosmetic" problem, not a structural problem and that it is not covered under the GMPP extended warranty.

One of these factory wheels costs over $800. I'm not happy with their decision. I feel they should make good on my claim just to increase customer satisfaction if nothing else.

They did replace a rear wheel that had fracture cracks at one of the spokes and was leaking air. That was truly a defect.
LEJ ZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote