The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 05-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
silverback

Name :
silverback has disabled reputation
Default the 10% methanol

Is anyone else having problems with their custom engine tunes and the 10% methanol, since the third tankful, my car seems like it is flat in the lower RPM ranges.
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
xtrememotorsports

Name :
xtrememotorsports is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
Is anyone else having problems with their custom engine tunes and the 10% methanol, since the third tankful, my car seems like it is flat in the lower RPM ranges.

Yes,I have had the same problem with my head and cam cars.It seems to idle really ruff.The power will also become a little flat on low end.I am thinking of enabling the flex fuel option in the newer cars to see what happens.
xtrememotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
zzzona

Name :
zzzona has disabled reputation

My brother works in the petroleum industry and he said some stations are having problems with ethanol. Seems as though ethanol is a solvent, and when stations convert over to using ethanol it can clean any residue built up on the walls of the fuel tanks, and it ends up in the fuel. Also ethanol is what helps give the fuel its octain rating. You can start out with gas that has an 82 octain rating and with the proper mix of ethanol it bumps it up to 87 or higher. The problem is if that mixture gets messed up you may not be getting 93 octain.
Unless they do an about face eventually every gas station in Florida will be ethanol based..

Last edited by zzzona; 05-21-2008 at 07:25 AM.
zzzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well the REAL problem with biofuels is that they are robbing Peter to pay Paul. Yeah, maybe gas prices will be a bit cheaper.... But better squeeze those pennies you save, because you're going to need them when you get to the grocery store and see how high FOOD prices have become as a direct result. Why can't they use something like kudzu or some other noxious weed instead of FOOD to generate ethanol? Or better yet, mosquitoes and lovebugs!
Unread 05-21-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
fletcher4u

Name : Bob Fletcher
fletcher4u has disabled reputation

here here I need fuel for me more than the car !
fletcher4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Does anyone know of any gas stations that do not have an ethanol mix? It seems that they all have it posted on their pumps now, or at least Shell, BP, Hess and Speedway.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
zzzona

Name :
zzzona has disabled reputation

Joe the last time I filled up at Chevron it did not have ethanol added, but I believe all stations will have it eventually. .....
zzzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 01:01 AM   #8
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road

The only one down here that I have seen with that corn garbage in it is Racetrac.

I have noticed sometimes after pumping at Racetrac too much the car does seem to be missing a small umph to it. Ethanol sucks! The car runs like crap on it and it costs more to make then gas. Look how much the damn price of rice, corn and wheat have gone up recently. For this garbage we might as well be pi$sing in our gastanks!

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 01:33 AM   #9
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

So the whole idea, as I understand it, was for the ethanol to help supplement the gasoline supply? But it gives less power per throttle position, so you have to give it MORE throttle (meaning burning more fuel) to get the same acceleration straight gasoline would give. Which probably means overall gas mileage is worse, which means you are using MORE ethanol laced fuel for every mile you drive.

They say the line between genius and insanity is VERY thin, and I think the geniuses in Washington D.C. that came up with this plan fell LOTS of lines short of hitting the genius side of the line.....

Or someone with friends in high places is making some serious money off of this boondoggle.
Unread 05-30-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
So the whole idea, as I understand it, was for the ethanol to help supplement the gasoline supply? But it gives less power per throttle position, so you have to give it MORE throttle (meaning burning more fuel) to get the same acceleration straight gasoline would give. Which probably means overall gas mileage is worse, which means you are using MORE ethanol laced fuel for every mile you drive.

They say the line between genius and insanity is VERY thin, and I think the geniuses in Washington D.C. that came up with this plan fell LOTS of lines short of hitting the genius side of the line.....

Or someone with friends in high places is making some serious money off of this boondoggle.
No s#!t!!!!!!! Everything I've read says it's gas mileage is not only worse but it eats your fuel lines for any car not equiped with it stock. Great huh?

Ethanol once again, is garbage!!!!!!!!! Maybe now is the time to start considering spiking the gas with pure acetone to offset the crummie ethanol!!!!

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote