The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 10-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Now that's a garage.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, I might need to put this back on the front burner. Took my C5Z to Chris yesterday to get some minor things done, and while I was there, I asked him to look into my fuel pressure gauge not working. Yeah, some rodent had chewed through the wire. Guess I need to get a rodent proof garage built to keep this sort of crap from happening again......

We had some vehicles get torn up several years ago. Cost us a lot of money getting them rewired to fix the damage. Plus the generator outside got hit as well. Been putting out poison, but it's only a matter of time before they learn to avoid that stuff.
Unread 02-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #13
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Crawfordville is about 20 minutes south of Tallahassee. I've been pricing metal buildings, since I thought that might be the best way to go about it. But heck, maybe not....... I've got a 42x20 foot concrete building for my animals that was built around 17 years ago and cost me somewhere near $30K back then. The size of the garage I've been getting prices on is 50x30 inside dimensions with 12 foot ceiling and two 16 foot wide doors.

Kind of like this........
Hey Rich, just a thought. In another thread you said you were planning on selling the business. Maybe a conversion of the 42 X 20 might be an idea and cost would have to be way better then the clearing, permits, ET. AL. Might take a little longer to achieve but..........
Unread 02-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
Hey Rich, just a thought. In another thread you said you were planning on selling the business. Maybe a conversion of the 42 X 20 might be an idea and cost would have to be way better then the clearing, permits, ET. AL. Might take a little longer to achieve but..........
Yeah, I've been eyeballing the building with that in mind, but it's made out of concrete block, so it would be probably more expensive trying to cut in garage doors and re-arrange interior walls than to just build a metal building from scratch. And the generator I have would have to be relocated. Plus 20 foot is really not deep enough to park Connie's truck. Then there is the matter of my work room, and tons of crap that would have to go SOMEWHERE... I don't think Connie would go for a milling machine sitting in the living room... Wish it would work, but it sure doesn't seem so.....
Unread 02-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #15
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well, I might need to put this back on the front burner. Took my C5Z to Chris yesterday to get some minor things done, and while I was there, I asked him to look into my fuel pressure gauge not working. Yeah, some rodent had chewed through the wire. Guess I need to get a rodent proof garage built to keep this sort of crap from happening again......

We had some vehicles get torn up several years ago. Cost us a lot of money getting them rewired to fix the damage. Plus the generator outside got hit as well. Been putting out poison, but it's only a matter of time before they learn to avoid that stuff.
That's what happens when you live in the stix....
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
That's what happens when you live in the stix....
Yeah, no doubt. This country living isn't all it's cracked up to be. Nature can be downright unfriendly at times.
Unread 03-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #17
TwistedFun

Name :
TwistedFun has disabled reputation

i just had a 25x50X14 insulated steel building put in. i had it built for a lift. all you have to do is pick your lift and when they are doing the layout for the pad, give the crew the specs on the lift and have them dig that area slightly deeper (6" will be plenty). with a very wide driveway, building, slab,electrical, 36" exhaust fan, two remote controlled 10x10 roll up doors, one side steel door, two windows, and a 9000lbs two post lift installed. i have about $45,000 invested. best money i have spent at the house. the building is rated at 140 mph.
Unread 03-09-2009, 01:41 AM   #18
Rich Z

I don't think I'm going to worry about getting a lift. For the few things I may think I may need it for, with Xtreme moving into Tallahassee sometime and being much closer than being out in Blountstown, it will just be easier to take the cars to Chris and ask him to do the stuff needed. So that will mean a building that is not as tall as first projected.

A friend of mine with a tractor offered to help with the land clearing. Just need to mark off the area. Which is surprisingly tough to do since we've put in plants just about everywhere. Not sure some of those will be able to survive being dug up and transplanted now. I just need to measure everything off to see what I need to put in four vehicles comfortably, so I can put them in and be able to open the doors without worrying about banging into everything. Hope I can get by substantially cheaper than $45K though, or that will torpedo my getting a new Z06.

Shouldn't be all that tough, though. Here's the stages needed as far as I can figure.
  • Design garage
    1. Four single car doors, or two wider two car doors(?)
    2. One walk in door
    3. No windows (for security)
  • Get permit
  • Clear and prepare land
  • Figure out where to put water line for hose
  • Get someone to pour the slab
    1. Underneath garage
    2. 16 to 20 ft in front of garage and extending into carport to the side.
  • Purchase building and have it delivered and erected on the slab
  • Get electricians to run electrical
    1. Lights
    2. Electrical outlets
    3. Exhaust fan(s)
  • Figure out everything that I wish I had thought of beforehand...

Problem is that this time of year is just tough to spread myself out on something else going on. These things rarely go smoothly (at least for me), and I'm already just a hair's breadth from a nervous breakdown when July rolls around.

Well, we'll see, I guess.
Unread 03-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #19
SebringBill
Car Parking Attendant

Name :
SebringBill is on a distinguished road

Awright, Rich. If ya got some time go see what I've done:http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...e-started.html

But no drooling on the floor - it's not done yet! Maybe I can answer some questions/comments/etc after April 15th as I'm a little busy now...

"Sebring"Bill Herron
2 Vettes -- 11 speeds
1957 #3143 (2nd owner - driven like I stole it!)
1997 #0993 (Jim Schefter's original ACAR)
Down the Road: 2000 #1090 (Kerbeck's least favorite Vette)
NCM Lifetime #49 ~ SACC #229 ~ NCRS #4638 ~ C5R #Y4418

Last edited by SebringBill; 03-10-2009 at 02:36 AM.
SebringBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #20
Rich Z

Sorry, but that link doesn't work for me...........