The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 05-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Vettephysician

Name :
Vettephysician has disabled reputation
Cool Radar/Laser Detector Ban in FL??

Hello guys. Just a quick question about the legality of radar/laser detectors here in Florida. I know they are still legal, but there have been rumblings about the legislature banning them. If so, and if the ban goes through, are there any detectors that are "invisible" to the cops, should one choose to keep on using one? Thanks!
Vettephysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

They've been yacking about that for years. As far as I'm concerned, if the detector goes off and one slows down, then the purpose of traffic enforcement has been fulfilled, that being compliance, safety and awareness

I'd even go as far as hiding emitters at various locations along the highways and let the people with detectors figure out which ones are real and which ones are memorex

As for your question, if they become illegal, then you're going to be on your own finding a place to conceal it. There are several on the market that claim various degrees of concealability. The big thing is hiding the wiring and the receiver in such a fashion that it still picks up the signal.

Oh, and to the site. How did you find us? It's a great place to hang out and the best Florida based site on the internet bar none!

Rich, our administrator is from your neck of the woods.

Post some pics of your car and give a little in the intro section.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
Vettephysician

Name :

Probably most of the legislators carry one in their own vehicles, LOL! What I was wondering, was not so much the concealment of the unit, but the cop's ability to detect them, ie. a detector-detector if you will. Thanks for the reply.
Unread 05-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Vettephysician

Name :

I will post some pics soon, Shadow. I found the site purely by accident, surfing around corvette sites. I have an '03 coupe (torch red). Love that car! Paid about 4.15/gal for premium (Chevron) here in Tally today (just topped off the tank). Toyed with the idea of topping her off with 89 octane, but decided not to (owner's manual says premium only). Oh well, it's worth it driving a machine like a vette. Thanks for the welcome Shadow. I look forward to visiting here often.
Unread 05-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
xtrememotorsports

Name :
xtrememotorsports is on a distinguished road
Default WELCOME!!!!!

I live in Tallahassee too, but my shop is in Blountstown.

Nice to have you on this site.

Lots of good people here!!
xtrememotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
Curacao
Island in the Caribbean.

Name : Timothy Halley
Curacao is on a distinguished road
Talking Beltronics STi Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettephysician View Post
Hello guys. Just a quick question about the legality of radar/laser detectors here in Florida. I know they are still legal, but there have been rumblings about the legislature banning them. If so, and if the ban goes through, are there any detectors that are "invisible" to the cops, should one choose to keep on using one? Thanks!
This is the unit I'm using Beltronics STi Driver = Exclusive TotalShield™ Technology = Complete VG-2 Immunity

Beltronics STi Driver Review

-----
Curacao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I heard the same rumblings which is why I got my Valentine recently. Might be difficult to get one if Florida went onto a "do not sell to" list. Plus there could be the possibility that currently owned units may be grandfathered in if the issue of an ex post facto law gets raised.

As for concealability, the Valentine has an optional remote display that I put down in the cigarette tray recess so that the lighted display is not visible from the rear. Also, I mount the main unit from the sun visor and ran the cables underneath the inside moulding so it is rather difficult to see under casual inspection.

I can't really say it has saved me from any tickets, as I don't normally push the speed limits much. But it does help to keep me alert to my surroundings moreso than before I had a detector. Which certainly can't be a bad thing.

Anyway, welcome to the site. If you see a LOUD blue C5 Z06 cruising around town with bold lettering CORVETTEFLORIDA.COM across the windshield and rear window, that's me.
Unread 05-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettephysician View Post
Probably most of the legislators carry one in their own vehicles, LOL! What I was wondering, was not so much the concealment of the unit, but the cop's ability to detect them, ie. a detector-detector if you will. Thanks for the reply.
I don't know of any agencies that have a "detector-detector", but in all honesty, it's usually quite easy for LEO's that are experienced with radar to know when a vehicle has a detector in use. We have a visual screen that monitors your numeric speed as well as a doppler tone that signifys speed by audio pitch. A well tuned radar unit, under optimum conditions, has an effective range of up to a mile, though most units I have used are closer to 1/2-3/4. Obviously it would be difficult to visually identify a traffic unit at that distance, especially at night, or if the unit is unmarked or hidden from view. When the LEO monitors your speed (remember, we don't all leave the unit on, I leave mine on standby until I see the vehicle approaching) it will give the speed you are traveling at before you can physically react to slow down. (the radar beam travels at the speed of light) When you hit the brakes, the doppler tone drops significantly, and the numeric display drops in the same manner, but the unit already has your speed locked on the display. The newer units even "talk" to you, identifying where your vehicle is in relationship to the traffic unit and which direction you're traveling! By being cognizant of your vehicle slowing down to the speed limit quickly, before you have the opportunity to identify the traffic unit (we pretty well know when we're hidden from view), we can tell who has the radar detectors.

I stopped a guy in a Porshe on highway 98 a few years ago in the manner mentioned above. When I asked him if he had a radar detector he told me, "No". I was pretty sure he was lying to me. I had a trainee with me. I told him to wait until I got back up to the driver and to hit the radar on button. An electronic chime started eminating from his console area. I asked him what that was? He said it was his phone. I said, "Aren't you going to answer it?" He said "No, it's just my wife". I said "It's a shame she didn't call you BEFORE you came around that curve" and gave him the citation. He just grimaced. I guess he didn't think to turn it off.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 11:14 PM   #9
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I stopped a guy in a Porshe on highway 98 a few years ago in the manner mentioned above. When I asked him if he had a radar detector he told me, "No". I was pretty sure he was lying to me. I had a trainee with me. I told him to wait until I got back up to the driver and to hit the radar on button. An electronic chime started eminating from his console area. I asked him what that was? He said it was his phone. I said, "Aren't you going to answer it?" He said "No, it's just my wife". I said "It's a shame she didn't call you BEFORE you came around that curve" and gave him the citation
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2008, 11:13 PM   #10
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
I don't know of any agencies that have a "detector-detector", but in all honesty, it's usually quite easy for LEO's that are experienced with radar to know when a vehicle has a detector in use. We have a visual screen that monitors your numeric speed as well as a doppler tone that signifys speed by audio pitch. A well tuned radar unit, under optimum conditions, has an effective range of up to a mile, though most units I have used are closer to 1/2-3/4. Obviously it would be difficult to visually identify a traffic unit at that distance, especially at night, or if the unit is unmarked or hidden from view. When the LEO monitors your speed (remember, we don't all leave the unit on, I leave mine on standby until I see the vehicle approaching) it will give the speed you are traveling at before you can physically react to slow down. (the radar beam travels at the speed of light) When you hit the brakes, the doppler tone drops significantly, and the numeric display drops in the same manner, but the unit already has your speed locked on the display. The newer units even "talk" to you, identifying where your vehicle is in relationship to the traffic unit and which direction you're traveling! By being cognizant of your vehicle slowing down to the speed limit quickly, before you have the opportunity to identify the traffic unit (we pretty well know when we're hidden from view), we can tell who has the radar detectors.

I stopped a guy in a Porshe on highway 98 a few years ago in the manner mentioned above. When I asked him if he had a radar detector he told me, "No". I was pretty sure he was lying to me. I had a trainee with me. I told him to wait until I got back up to the driver and to hit the radar on button. An electronic chime started eminating from his console area. I asked him what that was? He said it was his phone. I said, "Aren't you going to answer it?" He said "No, it's just my wife". I said "It's a shame she didn't call you BEFORE you came around that curve" and gave him the citation. He just grimaced. I guess he didn't think to turn it off.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote