The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 07-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough
Default God! I hate auto dealerships!!!

As some know, I'm in the market for a new work vehicle. Started out looking for a Prius since fuel economy is priority one for me followed by ease of entry/exit and storage space in that order.

A year or so back they couldn't give those ugly bastitches away but of course now that the fuel prices are astronomical, Toyota has seen fit to gouge the market. I understand the whole supply and demand thing, but Nissan (at least the one in New Port Richey) said they weren't going to gouge customers at a time like this and have not raised thier prices

Anyway, on to the story...

I've been looking at a new Scion XD. Ths thing has all the bells and whistles, very comfortable, great gas mileage (for an IC only engine) and plenty of room. Brand new with a warranty.

The prices are fixed by Scion and non-negotiable and the bottom line was well within what I needed for a work car (won't go in debt over a work car).

So far so good.

Tonight I was headed up Dale Mabry on the way home and decided to stop by STADIUM TOYOTA (where I've been working with a wonderful young car sales lady) to take one last look at the car before having her do the deed.

As I pull onto the lot, I see a used Prius on the used car side. This would be a much better deal for me simply because I wouldn't feel the "hit" in depreciation as soon as I drove off the lot, and since I drive a LOT, I wouldn't be upside down in it in a year.

I stop and ask the salesman the price...2004, 49000 miles, bare bones base model mind you...not even a back up camera (which is standard on the rentals)..$14???.00

Sweet! Get the key and lets go for a ride. We continue to talk and discuss the car while we ride and decide that if the numbers were right, we'd likely close the deal tonight.

Called the wife the salesman is SITTING NEXT TO ME in the car and tell her the asking price.

She gets in her car, drives all the way from Northern Carrollwood to Dale Mabry and Hillsborough in a torrential thunderstorm (this is not the 1st time I've bought a car in the rain) and we take a look together.

So far so good.

We go inside. I've already told this guy that I'm NOT one for the "let's talk to the manager" game. Lets make this quick, painless, good for everyone and go home.

He's gone a while, comes back with a sales quote.....$21700.00 before any additions. Final price was over $24k!!

I said..WTF? Where did the 21k come from? He say's that's the asking price.

What happened to the 14k?

"I never said that!"

I beg to differ my friend. Not to mention that he had an opportunity again to correct me in the car while I was talking to the wife.

Then he say's "I said $17k"....Ok, now we can't get our damned stories straight can we?

I told him I could live with the 17k and we'd just "assume" that I misunderstood him (I am getting older you know), but there was no way in hell I was paying 4k over that!

He starts all the car sales BS....hottest car on the market, fuel economy....blah blah blah.....

I remind him that in Bradenton yesterday I found one a year newer, less mileage and FULLY EQUIPT including nav, etc, for this price, and that this one is a base model.

Not to mention, tit for tat, I can get a brand new base model (just like this only WITH the backup camera) for 23-24 with the total 7 year 100k waranty!

Then I ask about the $490.00 dealership fee?

He says it's for delivery and prep.

Boy! The original owner brought the car TO YOU as a trade in. You didn't have it "delivered" from anywhere

And prep? There's still stains, on the seats (don't ask), coffe/tea/soda stains in the cup holders and what appears to be crumbs in the front cup holders and trayWhat damned "detail?"

This time he had to agree.....

Said he needed to go back to his "manager"...here we go again.....

Comes back a few minutes later and says the manager won't budge.

No biggie bro....as they say, there's one born every minute and I'm sure he/she will be walking through that door any time now.....I'm outta here.....

Did I mention I hate car salesmen?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road

[

Did I mention I hate car salesmen?[/quote] They R a Work of Art
Unread 07-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Now Gordon, if you would have pulled the good ole Ninja Turtle routine, you'd been out the door with that car and they'd paid you to leave.
Seriously though, not only did they lose a sale but also all future sales with you and people you know. The car sales crap will never get better because the dealers (most) are concerned with today's profit and not thinking long term.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
MRS. XTREME

Name :
MRS. XTREME is on a distinguished road

WOW

THAT SUCKS!!!!! So sorry to hear that!!!!
MRS. XTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

You should have pretended to reluctantly agree to his price. Let him go through the trouble of getting all the paperwork done and counting the commission he was going to get. Then when he put the paperwork in front of you for signatures, walked out the door. Tit for tat sort of thing.
Unread 07-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
You should have pretended to reluctantly agree to his price. Let him go through the trouble of getting all the paperwork done and counting the commission he was going to get. Then when he put the paperwork in front of you for signatures, walked out the door. Tit for tat sort of thing.
Dang! You're good man!

Wish I'd thought of that
Unread 07-10-2008, 01:23 AM   #7
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

Heh Cox Chevy pulled something on me like that. They had a 06 vert was silver, but got tired of driving everywhere to see outrageous prices on the C6's. I had a check in my hand for more then they were asking but didnt tell them. Asked them if i could test drive it cause if i like it ill buy it tonight. They told me until i gave them a deposit and signed some papers i couldnt test drive it(was right at the end of the showroom floor..open two bay doors an bam its outside).

I said fine, pulled the check out and said guess ill spend this money somewhere else, then it was ooh ooh ooh wait, you know blah blah blah...sorry pal you screwed up a cash money sale good bye.

Now i enjoy bringing that beast in there, and making them do all these warranty services on the car for free. specially having the 2k dollar headlights replaced.

Im kinda in the same boat, but for different reasons. Trying to find me a beater car to drive to an from tampa so im not racking up the miles on my car. Given the motor is under 2k miles, odometer shows 25.5k, which is slightly high for a 1y/o car. I just dont wanna deal with idiot salesman again.
Unread 07-10-2008, 04:51 AM   #8
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I'm looking for the same type of work vehicle .I hate the same things you do.I've been buying Fords from a dealership that their bottom price is on the car.No dickering thats it take it or leave it.I find the vehicle and they all have keys in them -I drive it down to the sales room -tell Millie i'll take it -heres the check -15 mins i'm gone.

I'm also looking at Hondas .And VW will have a diesle that gets 60 mpg later this summer.The longer you wait the more brand options and modles will be on the market.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 06:38 AM   #9
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by vett boy View Post
I'm looking for the same type of work vehicle .I hate the same things you do.I've been buying Fords from a dealership that their bottom price is on the car.No dickering thats it take it or leave it.I find the vehicle and they all have keys in them -I drive it down to the sales room -tell Millie i'll take it -heres the check -15 mins i'm gone.

I'm also looking at Hondas .And VW will have a diesle that gets 60 mpg later this summer.The longer you wait the more brand options and modles will be on the market.
I've been hearing about the diesel that's supposed to be out from VW later. Sounds great and no batteries to fool with. One thing I like about the Prius is how QUIET and smooth it is. Very nice ride (and fairly peppy) for the kind of car it is.

We usually buy from the local CarMax here simply because they have the same "no-dickering" policy, prices are marked and I don't take the depreciation hit

So far so good. This would be the 1st new car I've bought in years (since about 85 actually).

I wish I could afford to wait but can't.

I drive 100-300+ miles under all weather contions and roadways (and even a few non-roadways). I currently do this either in the 89 Landcruiser (FJ62) @ 9.5 mpg or the vette.

I'm tired of driving the vette because there's so many places I can't get into, these things really are not built for the kind of abuse I give a car daily, and it's hard to get in and out of 20-40 times a day (it's an 87).

As you can imagine, my fuel bill is one of my larger expenses each month.

The fuel bill reduction alone will more than make up for the car payment

Probably going to go with the XD and wait until next year to see what comes out.

I have to give credit to the sales lady on the new car side at Stadium

She's been great! No pressure, willing to check out and compare pricing even on cars she might not sell me, and just a consumate professional!!

If they had more like her, the industry could change it's image quickly
Unread 07-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #10
vette653

Name :
vette653 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a new Toyota Matrix from Sun Toyota in NPR was a pretty straight forward deal (although I did have to haggle a bit) went in knowing what I wanted and how much I would pay. I really like it getting about 26 around town and 32 on highway which is way better than the Jeep Cherokee I had. Hybrids too expensive right now takes a lot of fuel savings to make up $5k more in price.
vette653 is offline   Reply With Quote