The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 06-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #101
Coastal

Name :
Coastal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Now, that being said, I will grant the point that the Corvette Clubs section has been pretty much a complete failure. I investigated as many Florida based Corvette club web pages as I could find, and in nearly all cases, NONE of them had an interactive forum available for their members. So I thought it would be a benefit to them to offer such a forum here, free of charge, for them to use for such a purpose without having to set up a forum on their own sites. Not only are those forums pretty much stagnant, for the most part, the offerings to the clubs themselves were basically snubbed without even the courtesy of some reply. But I tried it anyway. Perhaps it is getting to be time to think about reclaiming that screen real estate and subsequent bandwidth that is just going to waste every time the main forum page is loaded.

So yes, that section may very well go away for lack of use or interest. I had hoped the various clubs would see the benefit of having a public place where their members could interface with members of other clubs easily and perhaps generate more interest in their own clubs from remote members, but perhaps I was hoping for too much and the clubs just don't have an interest in such things. Be that as it may, I thought it was worth giving it a shot.

I can't for the life of me understand why a club would not take advantage of this offer!! What a deal and it's a win win for EVERYONE! Maybe it's clicks, maybe unknown to the members of the club, maybe like other forums, they are waiting for someone else to go first. Whatever it is, it's a shame that such a great form of (two way) communication goes unused.

As far as post go here, I believe it's just a matter of numbers. The more members the more posts the more posts, the more people find something to reply to and on & on it goes. A big membership allows for members to not post for a whole host of reasons while other keep the activity up for the rest.

I'm going to go have another father's day beer now
Unread 06-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #102
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Is there any way we can be done with this thread?

Aside from useless, it's boeocming redundant and counter productive (JMHO).

Thanks.
Seems we had some hurt feelings in this tread, if people wanna get mad and take their ball home thats fine. I dont understand how people get so upset over tiny stuff on the forums.

I like this site and will be here for long run.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #103
Psychotic Avian

Name :
Psychotic Avian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet View Post
Just FYI Psychotic: I may post here, or I may not, and I really, truly don't GAF what you think about it, or me.
Yeah you do, or you would not have responded to my post. Welcome back to the Ranting Room.
Quote:
Be that as it may, Dave, from what I interpretted, my moving your thread was an event that appeared to be the catalyst that caused you to decide to leave this site. I sent you a PM explaining my reasoning and you never even bothered to reply.

Here's the PM I sent you at that time:

Why did moving that thread of yours even "mildly irritate" you? I didn't realize nor intend for it to be taken as a personal slap in the face of any kind. But it appears to me that is how you took it.

I have to move threads here and on my other sites every day. Even though I have taken the trouble to post a rough guideline of what each forum is basically designed to hold, there are still people who will post threads that are certainly more appropriately placed in another forum. I move them, then leave a redirect for 2 or 3 days so the original author and other viewers can easily find the thread and take note of it's new location. Certainly just throwing my hands up in the air in resignation and leaving them where they are posted is certainly an option. Is that what you and everyone else really wants around here?

Sorry, but I have been a database programmer for a spell, and I find that I like to have things categorized in such a way that the "data" is logically arranged and presented in an orderly fashion for easy access later on. Lord knows I have been on mine and other sites more times than I can remember trying to find a thread or post I remember reading years ago, and I ALWAYS checked the forums where it would most logically be located. Threads contain information and I do hope such information will be of as much use to the person posting it NOW as it will be to someone else looking for that same information three years from now. So I'm trying to make it easy on them to find it. Heck, how many times do you see someone post a reply to someone's query on OTHER sites saying something to the effect "DO A SEARCH! IT'S ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED HERE!" Yeah, probably so, but unless a forum site imposes some structure, it would make it all the more difficult for that poor soul to FIND that info before getting slammed about not looking for it. And I SERIOUSLY doubt that other sites do not move threads as well.

Again, that was not intended as a personal affront to you, and I'm sorry that you apparently took it that way.
Yep, you were Grandstanding, Gannet. Spare me. Get over yourself.

Yeah, funny how you dissed the Admin and didn't even reply to his message.

That speaks volumes.

Last edited by Psychotic Avian; 06-15-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Psychotic Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #104
Psychotic Avian

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Is there any way we can be done with this thread?

Aside from useless, it's boeocming redundant and counter productive (JMHO).

Thanks.
My vote is no. Read the sign on the door.

Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk to Ray about it!

If you start closing threads in a "ranting room" then you might as well take Gannet's advice and shut down this entire section.

PS. Learn how to f'ing spell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
Seems we had some hurt feelings in this tread, if people wanna get mad and take their ball home thats fine. I dont understand how people get so upset over tiny stuff on the forums.

I like this site and will be here for long run.
Most intelligent post in this thread thus far.

It's a ranting room for crying out loud. Why folks get a riled up over a section like this is beyond reason.
Unread 06-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #105
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

I think every forum site should have a hash and bash section where members can hash it out without being locked.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #106
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

Quote:
I missed a cookout at Anti Venoms? I never knew anything about it.
This was a last minute minute thing planned one week in advance. The post was made in the events section within two hours of it's conception and was usually the top post throughout the week. I also saw it posted at Corvette Forum, so eventhough short on planning, plenty of notice.
Any more comments about lack of publicity will have to be directed to the king of the Hob Nob Crew, though I'm not sure who that may be

Quote:
All registered members can post such events in the calendar, so I'm sure everyone would greatly appreciate more attentiveness at keeping it accurate and uptodate.
I myself rarely look at the calender and this is why I probably don't list things there. I always "assumed" the Events and Happening section was one of the most viewed areas so that's were I drop things
Unread 06-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #107
Psychotic Avian

Name :

Quote:
I think every forum site should have a hash and bash section where members can hash it out without being locked.
Wow! This guy really is on par here.

There is one at the Valley that makes it feel like as if you were tossed in a pride of lions.
Unread 06-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #108
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My vote is no. Read the sign on the door.
Who said you get a vote?

Quote:
Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk to Ray about it!
Yeah, but after a while, it just gets

Quote:
If you start closing threads in a "ranting room" then you might as well take Gannet's advice and shut down this entire section.
True, but sometimes things outlive thier usefulness and become a festering pot of

Quote:
PS. Learn how to f'ing spell.
I know to f'in' spell. You just need to learn how to read intoxicated

Hey!!! birdboy! Don't you have a forum to ruin, I mean run

TTYL, got work to do

Happy fathers day to all you muthas!
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #109
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I agree, but how long do you leave it open? When does it outlive it's usefulness?

JMHO....no biggie.....
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #110
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

One point about using the calendar (both posting events and checking it for future reference) is that you can set up a notification to be sent to you via email to remind you of the event. This certainly helps to keep you from missing the events you may be interested in that are several weeks in the future and likely to be forgotten about. Of course, you DO need to make certain that your email address in your registration record is current.