The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 12-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road
Default I got a problem with my C6

Looks like i have a problem with my 06 a6 C6.

Anytime i nail it from a slow roll say 10mph to 30mph my car will take a hard dive to the left and i mean a full 90 degree hard dive!

This last saturday i picked a wide five lane road with no traffic within a mile, i was doing about 30mph and nailed it, the car took a hard dive to the left, i just about lost it. It took me the full five lanes to recover, a very scary thing!

This is the first time i gave it full WOT from a roll, at other times i would nail it from a roll i would let off the gas as soon as i started to feel the car take a left dive. If i roll into the power or just drive normal the car acts fine, but i don't think it's normal at all for the car to take a 90 degree left dive when i nail it form a roll.

I am taking the car to Antivenom this coming weekend i hope Greg will know whats going on.

Some people say it's my Z06 swaybars, others say it could be the rearend.
I have the Z06 swaybars with the stock shocks and springs, i have a base 1LT C6.

Anyone have a guess what the hell is going on?
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

That's wierd,I don't think it's the rearend,because when the wheels spin and the engine rotates,if any thing it should pull to the right,engine rotates to the right.Sort of sounds like a ball joint,I only say that because when I had my 70 nova which was a drag car,after I installed a 4 link in the rear it would pull [turn]to the left[driver side],I had the 4 link not perfectly adjusted and it worn down my ball joint,I'm not comparing yours to the 70 nova.I would rip the front wheels off and check for loose or broken parts,worth a try.
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Are the rear tires breaking loose? Is active handling and/or traction control disengaged? Generally, from what I have seen, when the rear tires break loose under full power, the rear end will swing around to the right, pointing the front end to the left, which is where you will go unless active handling (or good sense) kicks in quick enough to stop it. Which is why if you are racing someone who you think is inexperienced, depending on what side you are of him/her will tell you which part of THEIR car you have to be wary of. If you are right of them, watch out for the rear end swinging your way. If you are to the left of them, watch out for the front to swing in your direction.

You may need someone watching from the outside to see what is happening. Seems to me that these tires on the vettes really don't make a lot of noise when they start burning.

I have heard some people say that the Z06 sways on a stock C6 can make the car "rear end happy" which could very well be what you are experiencing. Guess I am VERY interested to hear if that is the case, because I have a set of Z06 sways in the work room waiting to get installed on our C6. No way I would want to put them on if that is the case and have Connie lose control one day. Active handling SHOULD help stop that from happening, though. But one problem with failsafe systems is that you never really know if they are working until you need them. And I know for a fact that my reaction times are not anywhere near what they were several years ago.....
Unread 12-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

I should have said in my post i was driving with T/C off and in S mode without using the paddles. I hope to have Greg take the car for a spin, he would know alot more than myself whats going on and i'm sure he is a better driver.
Unread 12-31-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Yes the tires are breaking loose, as soon i nail it from a roll just for a split second the car kinda floats as the tires spin, then it hooks and does a hard dive to the left.

This is something you dont wanna do in traffic!
Unread 12-31-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
Rich Z

If active handling screwed up and applied the brake on the left front wheel, this is pretty much the result you would get.
Unread 12-31-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

I had T/C off when i did this.
Unread 12-31-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
Rich Z

Traction Control and Active Handling are two separate and distinct functions. If you were in Competitive Mode, that is traction control OFF, and active handling ON.

I can't remember the correct sequence of pressing the button on how to select each mode, since the C6 changed it from how it worked on the C5. But there are three different modes you can select via that button:
  • TC and AH ON
  • TC and AH OFF
  • TC OFF and AH ON (Competitive Mode}

What option did you have selected when this problem took place?
Unread 12-31-2007, 11:23 PM   #9
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Backyard Mechanic" View Post
That's wierd,I don't think it's the rearend,because when the wheels spin and the engine rotates,if any thing it should pull to the right,engine rotates to the right.Sort of sounds like a ball joint,I only say that because when I had my 70 nova which was a drag car,after I installed a 4 link in the rear it would pull [turn]to the left[driver side],I had the 4 link not perfectly adjusted and it worn down my ball joint,I'm not comparing yours to the 70 nova.I would rip the front wheels off and check for loose or broken parts,worth a try.
Rob, tell the truth, your steering wheel was up-side down.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Traction Control and Active Handling are two separate and distinct functions. If you were in Competitive Mode, that is traction control OFF, and active handling ON.

I can't remember the correct sequence of pressing the button on how to select each mode, since the C6 changed it from how it worked on the C5. But there are three different modes you can select via that button:
  • TC and AH ON
  • TC and AH OFF
  • TC OFF and AH ON (Competitive Mode}

What option did you have selected when this problem took place?
I had just pushed the button once, T/C off, to turn it all off you hold down the button for 5 secs, i never turn the whole thing off.

This morning i played with my C6 in D- mode with T/C off only, at least in D mode i can control the car, it will slide a little left then rite which seems normal to me, not the hard left dive like in S- mode.