The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 10-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Been watching and reading this thread and feel for your daughter.

When I was a kid I was picked on a lot by a couple of guys in my school.

It wasn't until I (out of know where) punched one in the face at a halloween carnival we had at school and stabbed the other one (small would, it'll heal), that they (and all the other wannabe bad asses), left me alone

Unfortunately, just like Rays daughter, we all have a abad side. Hopefully, you'll never see it. If you do, then hopefully you'll never see it again

FWIW Rachelle, if you'd like, I teach a FREE self defense course every Thursday night from 8-9 pm at a local gym.

It's "based" on the principles of American Kenpo Karate, but has influences from the various styles I've studied over the years, Aikido, Aiki-Ju-Jutsu, TKD, Hapkido, and of course, a good dose of just plain ole' street style ass whippin;(too many years on the street in LE).

I've taught for the USCG, Law Enforcement and Security organizations and a few corporations (to name a few) over the years, and generally, do not teach children. We do a lot of weapon disarmament, and releases/defenses from various grabs, chokes, holds, armbars, traps and groundings.

I'd make an exception for you and yours if you're interested? If need be, maybe we could do a "short course" just for the 3-4 of you?

One thing I can say with absolute certainty. "formal" martial arts are not for everyone, generally don't work in real life scenarios (as they're taught in schools) and you can't MAKE your child like them.

My son and I trained hard for several years together as a child, but when he hit his teens, his interests changed and I couldn't get him interested to save my butt! he was probationary black in TKD at a well respected school here in the area at the time.

later, he took up Aikido, but again, kind of wained away

All of a sudden, at the age of 20 he decided to go back???

Now at 22, he's an advanced rank in a modified version of American Kenpo, and trains several times a week in Ju-Jitsu and MMA...go figure....

Bottom line is, he knows that what you learn in the dojo/jojang is much different from what one needs on the street to survive

Finally, don't depend on the schools to take much action.

Between being hamstrung politically, and pussified admininstratively, you're pretty much on your own. To the school districts that have anti bullying policies that work...CONGRATULATIONS I applaud them.

Here in Hillsborough County, they won't even discuss a martial based self defense program in the schools...even for the staff

They'd rather bring in counselors and "talk about it"

If there's anything i can do for you or your family (this goes out to all the Corvetteflorida family), please let me know. The doors always open

Gordon
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #12
Ms. AntiVenom
Vicious Evil Person

Name :
Ms. AntiVenom will become famous soon enough

Eva goes almost daily to the dojo, I've made Angelica tag along a few times, but she just don't like it, (secret is she has a hernia)
And not being athletic is one of the things she gets picked on for, I wasn't k-mart karate trained either, You are speaking like my master does...lol My master, that sounds screwy.
I was put in it because kids picked on me, and my family comes fist first so I got brutal they used martial arts to help me re-strain myself better, and for some reason I got very good at it, My style is very mixed allot of Savate kicks, Tae boxing and kung fu all shook in into TKD and Shodokan Aikido. I look drunk when I fight

Website
------------------------------------------------------
Ms. AntiVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #13
Shadow

Name :

Rashell,

The key really is control. Even during the conflict, control is paramount. When one looses thier temper, thier focus, thier "cool" if you will, they'll generally lose the fight to one whose more focused.

Even in a street brawl, the winner is usually the one who uses his/her head, even for a moment.

A bigger issue in todays society and one I stress in class, is public perception.

People "see" and "know" what the "hear." The mind will fill in the blanks. Ask at a crash scene and talk to the "witnesses." Most will tell you they heard such and such then saw the crash.Can't happen that way They may be correct in thier assumptions, but they didn't witness the crash, they witnesses the post crash scenario.

Same with an encounter. If you get loud and angry, abusive or obscene, or should you become a "Jeff Speakman stunt double" on the street and use multiple strikes to control or diffuse a situation that could have easily have been controlled with a push, route, deflection, or less "violent" technique, then you may find yourself (or your kid) on the wrong side of the law or school board

It's what people percieve that makes the difference

Anyway, sounds like your master (I like that term) is a good guy

If we present it to your daughter in a non-athletic, short course manner, she might me more receptive. A lot of people just don't want the regimentation of the dojo/dojang, and the philosphy, practice and such that go along with learning martial arts from some place other than a belt mill.

Thats the market I work with. The mom-dad, brother-sister, LEO/military type who doesn't get adequate training at work, and the business person and/or executive, that wants to be more aware and self sufficient in thier daily lives.

Anyway, I'll catch you guys later. let me know if I can assist?

Gordon
Unread 10-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #14
Suicide King

Name :
Suicide King is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad View Post
We had the same problem with the schools around here. Our eldest was constantly picked on, especially on the bus. She was called a ****** lover because she has black friends.
Like others here, we taught her to turn the other cheek etc. Till one day my wife decided to speak to the bus driver about it and while doing so, the ring leader (the biggest boy) of the "bus gang" stuck his head out of the window and called my wife a biotch.
Well, no sooner than he got his head back in the window my daughter was in front of his seat saying.."Oh no you didn't".. Then proceeded to beat the ever loving crap out of him. He wound up crying and begging for her to stop!
Also like some of you, our whole family has been "trained". Funny thing though...she wouldn't stand up for herself, but she absolutely wouldn't allow ANYONE to disrespect her family!
We've been home schooling our kids for 3 years now and their grades are now all A's and B's.

That’s a very cool story. You kid must have a lot of honor and respect. Good for her. Now if more kids were like that there would be no problems.

Thanks for the kind words for Grant Ms. AntiVenom .
Unread 10-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #15
VertC5
VertC5

Name :
VertC5 has disabled reputation

Two words, "Private School." I wouldn't send my daughter to the public schools in my county.
VertC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #16
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Wow, how the world has changed!!!They used to pick on us Dumb bastards when I was in school!!!!
Unread 10-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #17
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
Wow, how the world has changed!!!They used to pick on us Dumb bastards when I was in school!!!!
What school? Hell the most I got was two years of sand-box when I was in prison.And I didn't see you there.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #18
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertC5 View Post
Two words, "Private School." I wouldn't send my daughter to the public schools in my county.
No thanks. Did that with both of my kids until about 8th grade for the daughter and 10th for the son. A "christian" school at that

I'll NEVER recommend that to anyone. The kids there were as bad or worse than most private schools, just snobbier because most had mommies and daddies with more money than sense (we worked and did without), and the school "officials: were as worthless as atits on a tomcat!

Guess it depends on where you send them?
Unread 10-19-2007, 07:51 AM   #19
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
No thanks. Did that with both of my kids until about 8th grade for the daughter and 10th for the son. A "christian" school at that

I'll NEVER recommend that to anyone. The kids there were as bad or worse than most private schools, just snobbier because most had mommies and daddies with more money than sense (we worked and did without), and the school "officials: were as worthless as atits on a tomcat!

Guess it depends on where you send them?

..We sent ours to a private Christian school prior to home schooling them. Wow, what a nightmare!!! The kids there were just as bad if not worse!!!!
Unread 10-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #20
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad View Post
..We sent ours to a private Christian school prior to home schooling them. Wow, what a nightmare!!! The kids there were just as bad if not worse!!!!
Well I went to every private school in the state of Maine.I was so bad the Christians wouldn't have me.The longest I was in any of 'em was 6 mons.

My fame to fortune is I invented ADD and i'm the reason for special ED.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote