The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 07-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Another varmint

Well, the bird feeder stand has been plenty sturdy enough to hold up to raccoons climbing all over it, but one night it definitely met it's match...

I don't know which I might be more concerned with bending that pole like that: A bear, or the dreaded SQUIRRELZILLA!
Unread 07-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Would have been nice to catch that little episode on the camcorder!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Rich Z

Default He's baaaack!

Connie found the bird feeders wrecked and two of the three poles bent over. So I checked the game cameras, and sure enough, our buddy is back. I'm surprised he didn't tear up the compost bin we have out near the garage.

I guess if he keeps on tearing up stuff I'm going to have to call animal control (or whatever it is around here) about him. But honestly, I think he's just passing through, and isn't really hanging around here. Apparently he walked on through here back in January, but didn't disturb anything that time.

To give you some idea of the size of this critter....

Unread 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

Didn't you have your "NO TRESPASSING" signs up Rich?
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
Rich Z

He's baaaack!

That pic was taken 1:00 am Saturday morning. It seemed like his cycle to make his rounds was getting shorter. Well, it's gotten a LOT shorter. I heard the driveway alarm about 1:30am this morning (Monday), so I had a hunch it was the bear. I scrounged up the night vision goggles I have laying around here and went out onto the front porch. Sure enough I saw him ambling across the yard headed for the bird feeders next to the house. I could hear him before I saw him, as he certainly wasn't trying to be very stealth like. And he IS pretty darn big. Made me a little nervous just standing out on the porch in my jammies. I'm not even sure having my .357Sig in my hand would have been any more comforting, neither.

I went into the bed room and woke Connie up, armed with an air horn to try to scare him away via the window looking out over the bird feeders, but I guess all the racket I made opening up the window was enough to chase him away. I put up a water based varmint deterrent earlier today that I've used in the past to keep deer away from the fruit trees to cover the bird feeder near the garage, so I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning whether that helped to protect that feeder from him. He might have just eaten it. And I coincidentally placed an order for an electric fence charger today, along with wire and other items, figuring I'll wire up the bird feeders and zap him to convince him that he needs to stop coming around here and wrecking the feeders. I'm guessing that when the fruit trees start bearing fruit he'll have a field day then, so I want to get him out of here before then.
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Aw, C'mon Rich....he just wanted a little snack. Actually the bee farmers use those solar powered electric fences to keep them from destroying their hives. With good success I understand. But I believe the ones you plug into the wall are a bit more reliable and more powerful too.
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Rich Z

I wouldn't mind his occasional snacking, but he's tearing things up. I've got a gash in the side of the shed because he, or another one, was trying to get at something there. The poles the bird feeders are on are beginning to look all twisted from being bent and then "straightened" again. Plus I've got to convince him that this isn't a good place to visit before the fruit trees begin putting out fruit. I'm sure he'll be breaking branches on those trees. He doesn't seem to be the most graceful animal in the world.
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
Rich Z

Well, we got a real good look at the bear this evening. Connie and I were watching a movie and we heard the alarm go off that I had set out facing the bird feeders. This was around 9:50PM. I wasn't going to check, as the last couple of nights around the same time the alarm went off and nothing was out there. But Connie jumped up to look, so what the heck. So when I got to a window in the bedroom and turned the flashlight on towards the bird feeder, I saw something, but for a moment I wasn't sure what the heck I was looking at. There was SOMETHING at the feeder but for an instant I just couldn't make out what it was.

It was the bear. I mean, it was the BEAR! It was sitting on the other side of the bird feeder so apparently he didn't see me walk up to the window. The flashlight was shining right on his belly and all I could make out was just some dark shape there. A BIG, WIDE dark shape. When I realized it was the bear, I was a bit taken back by his size. He was SITTING on the ground eating out of the bird feeder with NO problem. I'll have to measure that tomorrow to see how far off the ground it is. Here I was thinking the bear had to bend down the pole the feeders were on because he couldn't reach it very well. Heck, NOT a problem for him...... He probably didn't even notice bending that iron pole at all.

Anyway, I had to put down the flashlight to open the window, since it takes two hands, as I wanted to grab the airhorn I had sitting there to scare away any varmints. So after I made the blast and looked again, he was gone. Connie was at the other window in the bedroom and said he ran off at the blast, so at least he is leery of human contact.

Man, I was thinking that black bears really didn't get all that big, so this was QUITE a surprise seeing one REAL close up. Now I'm thinking I'm REAL glad he just didn't get pissed at the airhorn blast, because all that was between him and me was a piece of screen in the window. Heck, I don't think even the side of the house would be much of a barrier if he really wanted to get IN. I saw what he (or one like him) did to the side of our shed a while back.
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Rich, go to Youtube and paste this link below in. I think you'll really enjoy this!

Saskatchewan Black Bear. Adrenaline At It's Best!
Unread 05-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Rich, go to Youtube and paste this link below in. I think you'll really enjoy this!

Saskatchewan Black Bear. Adrenaline At It's Best!
Yeah, I can see where being up in a tree with a pissed off bear could really ruin your day.

BTW, I put the tape measure to the bird feeder that the bear was feeding at last night and it's 4'10" from the ground to the lip of the feeder. So it looks like the bear was right around 5 ft. high while sitting on the ground. So how tall would that make him standing up on his hind legs?