The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 01-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #21
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Been looking at hoods in catalogs, but so far I just haven't seen one that makes me think "Wow! THAT's the one I want on my car!"
Unread 01-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

This one caught my eye on the corvette forum as he's working on ones for the C4 now. http://corvettecreationz.com/store/i...&product_id=92
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #23
Rich Z

Yeah, I saw that one, and others real similar, but there's too many nooks and crannies for wax and polishing media to get caught up in and be a problem getting out. Plus polishing and buffing will be more difficult by machine since you have to be careful of all those sharp edges so you don't inadvertently damage them during the process. So I'm looking for a rather smooth surface.

Ah well. Probably need to go to some car shows and just look firsthand at the hoods other people are using to see if something catches my eye that will work for me.
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #24
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

That's a good point. Never thought about the extra PITA to wash and wax would be.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
Rich Z

Well, still haven't seen that replacement license panel show up yet.
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #26
Rich Z

Well, the replacement finally showed up today. I just laid it in the front bumper without positioning it and screwing it in, but what do you all think?

Of course I haven't opened up the panel behind the screening yet....
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #27
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Two things I don't like. The gap at the top seems excessive. But more so I think it would look better if the carbon fiber frame was either painted to match the car, or matched the vents on either side of it. (Like the metal trim around the screens.) Just my two cents....
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #28
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Two things I don't like. The gap at the top seems excessive. But more so I think it would look better if the carbon fiber frame was either painted to match the car, or matched the vents on either side of it. (Like the metal trim around the screens.) Just my two cents....
The observed gap at the top is because the plate is not screwed into the bumper the way it is supposed to be. It's just laying on the bottom rim to be photographed "as is". It won't look like that when it is actually mounted. The only color option that had that would have been close to my car was a blue carbon fiber look. The chances of it matching my Electron Blue paint were remote enough that I felt black carbon fiber was a safer choice.

I wanted the rubber trim around the screen, but was told they don't make it like that any longer. So it was not an option.
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #29
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

I agree. I think it would look better painted body color. as sacrilegious as it is to paint carbon fiber, unless you had other carbon fiber accents like a hood, roof panel, spoiler, splitter, side skirts, painting it would look better IMHO.
Unread 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #30
Rich Z

Well, I could live with the carbon fiber. It appeared to be the better choice out of the options available.

However, what I CANNOT live with is the fact that the guy used the wrong screen yet again.

Here is what the screen looks like that is currently on the front of my car on either side of that front license plate panel:

The way these screens are described is by the openings in the mesh. This screen is a 5x5 mesh, meaning there are 5 square openings per inch horzontally and vertically.

Now here's what I got in this new license plate panel:

Obviously not the same. This is a 6x6 mesh. And the wire is thinner, too.

I SPECIFICALLY stated that I wanted the mesh in this panel to match what was already on my car. FAIL!

This is all explicitly described in the McMasters catalog, where that thread on CorvetteForum shows as a source for this kind of stuff -> http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-cloth/=l6xfkd

And on top of that, the screen was not put in correctly. It was not straightened before being cut and fitted into the frame. The upper left hand corner slopes upwards instead of being straight across.

I noticed all these things yesterday when I opened the box, but I figured I would just wait 24 hours and see if it grew on me and I could accept these flaws. But honestly, no, I cannot. Yeah, I'm picky as hell, and expect more than just "acceptable" from people I spend my money with. Unless I'm being told I am buying "seconds" at a discount and agree to that beforehand, then dammit, I want what I paid for. Not ALMOST OK. Heck, this isn't even made in China, so I can't blame that on this blatant display of lack of attention to detail and workmanship.

So I'm done messing with this. I contacted Pinnacle, who I actually ordered this from, and asked for a refund. The manufacturer obviously cannot get this right, and I'm just tired of this damned burr underneath my saddle. I'm going to just put the original license panel back on and forget about this.