The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 01-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Vettever

Name :
Vettever has disabled reputation
Default 02 Z06 starting problem

Every once in a while I turn the key and nothing, like the baa=ttery is dead or the clutch isn't on the floor. The battery is new and after several tries it starts. Yesterday it took me aboth 20 tries before it went. It's a daily driver with 19000 miles. I don't want to give it to the dealer because I'm afraid they will tie it up for a week, charge me a fourtune and not find anything wrong. Anybody got any hints?
Thanks
Joe
Vettever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
marineman1

Name :
marineman1 has disabled reputation
Default no start

could be a bad key (chip) try the other key
marineman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Vettever

Name :
Vettever has disabled reputation

Thanks alot, it's a great suggestion! I'll swap keys now, but it will take a while to know if this it it because it could be a couple months before it would happen. Crazy but sooner or later it will let me down. Thank you again!
Joe
Vettever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
fletcher4u

Name : Bob Fletcher
fletcher4u has disabled reputation

It may also need the battery end and bolts cleaned or a cable is not tight
fletcher4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettever View Post
Thanks alot, it's a great suggestion! I'll swap keys now, but it will take a while to know if this it it because it could be a couple months before it would happen. Crazy but sooner or later it will let me down. Thank you again!
Joe
Take some denatured alcohol and clean the switch contacts on each side just inside the opening with a cotton swab.Be careful not to lose the end of the swab in it!! It just takes a little lint from your pocket or oil from your hands to make them not get a good connection!! Clean your Key too!!
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

There used to be a spray alcohol that you could get at computer stores, if it is still available that might work.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
JCswm

Name :
JCswm is on a distinguished road

you need to go to or call the dealership once in a while Just to check for recalls

The GM electrical Contact Cleaner is the best I've ever used Along with Their fuel Injecter Cleaner.... Hell the GM hand cleaner is pretty damn good stuff too!!!

JCswm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I had this identical problem. Every once in a while I would turn the ignition key and .... nothing..... Gradually got worse. The culprit was a loose or corroded battery connection on the starter itself. One of the service writer techs could actually see sparking when he was looking under the hood.

If it is the battery connection itself AT the battery, I would expect your clock to get reset every time you had this problem, since you are dropping electricity to the entire car.
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
JCswm

Name :
JCswm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I had this identical problem. Every once in a while I would turn the ignition key and .... nothing..... Gradually got worse. The culprit was a loose or corroded battery connection on the starter itself. One of the service writer techs could actually see sparking when he was looking under the hood.

If it is the battery connection itself AT the battery, I would expect your clock to get reset every time you had this problem, since you are dropping electricity to the entire car.
Something as simple as your phone plugged into the cig lighter can retain enough power in the system to keep your ign off power high enough to retain system memory!!!

JCswm is offline   Reply With Quote