The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 12-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
kip younger

Name :
kip younger has disabled reputation
Default Cost and benefits of stroking a 350

I'm toying with the idea of using a stroker kit to rebuild my 350. I have discovered that they vary in price greatly and that all of the kits demand that they be professionally balanced. Soooooo, any ideas what it might cost (roughly) to have the machine shop work completed, on the block to fit the stroker kit? And does anyone know of a good shop in the Ocala, Fl. area? Is the cost of the kit and the machine work worth the added benefits? thanks much.
kip younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Most stroker kits really bring the 350 to life. Nothing like the roar and stump pulling torque of a 383 to wake the dead. I'm not sure on machine shop pricing, but just to drop off the car, have it installed and tuned, and back to you ranges from $3,500-$5,000. If you're dropping off the block, it probably won't be too bad. I'd expect to pay around $750-$1,250 (just an educated guess at best).
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
AdvAutoBob
got nitrous?

Name :
AdvAutoBob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakedown067 View Post
Most stroker kits really bring the 350 to life. Nothing like the roar and stump pulling torque of a 383 to wake the dead. I'm not sure on machine shop pricing, but just to drop off the car, have it installed and tuned, and back to you ranges from $3,500-$5,000. If you're dropping off the block, it probably won't be too bad. I'd expect to pay around $750-$1,250 (just an educated guess at best).
Too many other factors in play to attempt trying to measure cost (camshaft design, cylinder heads, etc.).

Too many terms are bandied about at shows, on the forums etc (i.e. "stroker kit", "port and polish", "balanced and blueprinted", etc., etc.) by people that really don't understand the terms. Consequently, a lot of misinformation is passed along as gospel. Not calling anybody here out, that's just been my experience in 27 years of building high-performance cars and engines.

Rule of thumb: add up everything you think you're going to need, figure worst case cost, then add 60%.... you'll be in the ballpark, but plan on spending a bit more for the unexpected things that pop up.
Specializing in American Performance featuring CORVETTE
(239)-573-9933
www.advancedautocc.com
AdvAutoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvAutoBob View Post
Rule of thumb: add up everything you think you're going to need, figure worst case cost, then add 60%.... you'll be in the ballpark, but plan on spending a bit more for the unexpected things that pop up.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote