The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 01-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
Curacao
Island in the Caribbean.

Name : Timothy Halley
Curacao is on a distinguished road
Default Rendered: 2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7)

There are all manner of rumors concerning the next-generation C7 Chevrolet Corvette, with stories ranging from the possibility of a mid-engined platform to AWD powertrains and even the arrival of a dual-clutch version. Although there isn’t much substance to any of these rumors, an inside source has revealed to MotorAuthority.com that the new car will arrive in time for the 2013 model year. This puts its likely release date sometime in late 2012.

While there have been reports that development on the C7 Corvette had been put on hold indefinitely due to GM’s critical financial situation, two top level executives have previously commented on the project, suggesting that it is ongoing.

Previous Corvette vehicle-line executive Tom Wallace has stated that GM was working on a future Corvette and that some changes to the current model are coming soon. He also acknowledged that CAFE regulations will play a role in determining the layout and hardware of the next-generation Corvette but stressed that it won’t kill the car. Unfortunately, Wallace’s retirement last year has lessened the credibility of his comments.

However, Ed Welburn, GM's product design head, has also revealed that the next ‘Vette will get a split rear window along with some other vintage styling cues.

This computer generated rendering gives us a preview of a possible design direction GM could take for its next Corvette, suggesting that the 50th Anniversary Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Concept seen in the movie Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen could be the inspiration for the car. Some of the elements carried over from the concept include the egg-crate grille, vertical slat headlights, side vents, and the jet-fighter glasshouse.

On the rumor side of things, a smaller, forced induction engine--most likely a supercharger, like the one found on the CTS-V's LSA, not the ZR1's 638-horsepower LS9--is possible to help the car meet fuel economy targets. A dual-clutch gearbox has also been talked about, and would be the next logical step in keeping pace with the likes of Porsche's 911 and Nissan's GT-R.

Like the C6, which was an iterative development of the C5 before it, the C7 will likely be an incremental improvement and redesign of the already proven and fantastic Corvette platform. Don't expect anything radical, but do expect a seriously impressive performance package. The one caveat will be keeping an eye on price as more high-tech elements, materials and machinery get added to the car.

Expect to see more of the car in the coming year or two as Corvette engineers begin to roll out test mules and prototypes, and you can be sure MotorAuthority.com will be there to bring the latest all along the way.

Source:http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...et-corvette-c7

-----
Curacao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

No thanks, will keep my 05
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

Yes, I believe I'll take one of those....
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Last I heard they are talking about making it smaller, closer to the C4 size, so they can ditch more weight (aka fuel economy) and continue to decrease the drag (more fuel eco). It think they are trying to do this on the existing chassis to keep R&D and production costs down. I would be willing to bet that it has at least a handful of similarities to the String Ray concept car.

Expect smaller engines, but still beefy V8s. No forced induction V6's. I expect to still see around 400hp, but with highway gas mileage soaring into the upper 30's (due to the six speed transmissions-stick & auto). May see the high-speed 2.89 rearend return as stock equipment with performance axle ratios optional. Willing to bet the ZR1 dies with the C6 (but it'll be back in a later Gen), but the ZO6 will live on.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
Bradzvette
PW Pimp, keeper O' 'da thread

Name :
Bradzvette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curacao View Post

This computer generated rendering gives us a preview of a possible design direction GM could take for its next Corvette, suggesting that the 50th Anniversary Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Concept seen in the movie Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen could be the inspiration for the car.
I could be wrong but I believe the movie myth has been debunked already. Too bad the author did not clarify the source of the image or where and how it was obtained.

cheers
Bradzvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeepster View Post
Yes, I believe I'll take one of those....
I'm with you Beepster. THis would look good next to your Callaway.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
jcb_njb

Name : Jim Brackett
jcb_njb is on a distinguished road

This look is too extreme. Not my taste.
jcb_njb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Looks like something in an Astro Boy cartoon...GM needs to get real...
Unread 01-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

That's not a GM rendering. All the ones you are seeing are publication speculation. I seriously doubt GM will release any official rendering of the C7. If GM indeed expects to launch the car as a 2013 model, then we should start seeing spy shots late 2010/early 2011. If not, don't expect a 2013 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052 View Post
Looks like something in an Astro Boy cartoon...
The more I look at this rendering, the more it looks like speed racers car, but as a coup. It's a bit of a stretch, but that's all I see now.

Last edited by shakedown067; 01-08-2010 at 09:07 PM.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
Bradzvette
PW Pimp, keeper O' 'da thread

Name :
Bradzvette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakedown067 View Post
That's not a GM rendering. All the ones you are seeing are publication speculation.
Kinda what I was trying to say but I guess I was far too subtle. LOL

Cheers
Bradzvette is offline   Reply With Quote