The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 03-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #31
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

The last time I was in for an oil change, I asked my service adviser if I could have a print out of all the work performed at a dealership, since I haven't owned my 01 very long, of course he said no. I asked about the steering wheel lock recalls, and he said it had been in for both recalls.So my question is... how can I tell if the CLB has been installed by the previous owner?
Unread 03-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #32
spiceman

Name :
spiceman has disabled reputation
Default OK folks let me try again to explain to most all.........

Before I begin w/ my current problem.I'll back up a bit.
For those who have had their vettes recalled......., or already taken your vettes in,.here's the skinny
GM had 3 recall's. The third one being where the dealership FINALLY removed the lock which some speak of.
Now for those who took their vettes in prior to the Feb 2006 recall, or those who are not sure WHEN their vette had the recall post FEB 2006.there's a chance that they too might have the column lock again.
As it turn's out, in my case, the car was in deed taken in for this problem for the first recall, and the second as well.however not the 3rd time of the Feb 2006. The Feb 2006 superceeds and cancels the first two according to GM's recall notice.
Therfore maybe this helps explain for ALL of us why so many different cases.The shame of this all? The fact that GM NEVER did truly the problem.
Some 127,000 C5's on the road that at any moment..........the cars column could lock.
Don't know if anyone in here has ever had a lemon from GM........but I have.
A new lemon no less. I rasied cane about the vehicle's engine................and then through some engineering buddies.......found out GM knew about the engine problem...........and that EVERY single V8 of every Cu In for 4 year's produced had the same problem.............GM DID buy it back from me, gave me every cent I paid for it...........However the attorney for GM also had me sign a non disclosure. Otherwise.HUSh Hush.
Pretty sad in deed.
For Yellow............The cigarette lighter thing w/ the by pass DID NOT.....
unlock my column.In fact that was my very first attempt.
For Rich, your correct.........However.....the perticular unit I bought......and the same unit that Yellow is refering to..is advertised as one that will UN-lock the column...........maybe on Yellow's it did work....on mine it did not work.
In searching through the different sites w/ information about this subject the hundreads of reply's are most interesting in that there are so many different stories.and neeedless to say VERY many Pissed off Corvette owner's.........especially those who were in accident's due to this column lock problem.
As for me....the column is still locked.still tryin to get it released with out tearing everyting apart.and especially w/out disconnecting the BCM. I know for a fact that doing so is going to screw up the Mapping of my engine.
and I'm not much for having the car taken all the way back to Ohio for Chuck Mallett to reprogram the computer. Anothe reason I don't want the Dealer here to touch the car.
spiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #33
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Holy Crap. Now I am afraid to leave the driveway.

98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 10:15 PM   #34
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I've read all those accounts about the CLB and from what I get out of the readings, the unit that plugs into the lighter is ONLY to unlock a normally working column lock mechanism. If it is STUCK prior to putting in the CLB, it will not magically unstick it simply by plugging in that cable to get power to the relay. The directions even say that if the cigarette lighter connection doesn't unlock the steering wheel, to forcibly yank the steering wheel right and left in order to get it UNSTUCK. Applying power via the cigarette lighter cable does not do anything different than if you never disconnected the wires and just stick your key into the ignition. It just applies power to the relay that tries to retract the locking mechanism. If the steering wheel was stuck before disconnecting the cabling to install the CLB, it will still be stuck afterwards unless you make the effort to UNSTICK the darn thing.

At least, THAT is the way I understand it........
Unread 03-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #35
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail View Post
Holy Crap. Now I am afraid to leave the driveway.

Just don't touch your steering wheel after you turn off the ignition and the wheel locks. I think that will help you avoid this problem.

I may take my C5Z in to the dealership one day and have them just remove the locking mechanism under the recall. Or was there a time limit for having this done after the third recall?
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:17 AM   #36
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road

I bought mine used so I take it that if you can turn the wheel when the car is off and it does not lock, you have nothing to worry about?

GM told me that it had all recalls done when I called them so......

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:55 AM   #37
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guro305 View Post
I bought mine used so I take it that if you can turn the wheel when the car is off and it does not lock, you have nothing to worry about?

GM told me that it had all recalls done when I called them so......
Yes, if the locking mechanism is removed, you can turn the wheel when the ignition switch is off.

Interestingly enough, when I picked up my C5Z, I could also turn my wheel when the ignition was off. But I got the error message "Service Column Lock" or something like that whenever I turned on the car. Just hit the reset button and was on my way. I thought someone had installed the CLB on the car before I got it and that was just how it was. But when I had the headers installed, the tech unhooked the battery and afterwards my steering wheel would lock as it should do when I pulled the key out of the ignition. Evidently something had gotten screwed up in the electronics and disconnecting the battery reset it when it was hooked back up.
Unread 03-25-2008, 06:27 AM   #38
spiceman

Name :
spiceman has disabled reputation
Default Rich , all your accounts are correct.

Will look into the reall position today and post.
Usually when a recall is listed as a SAFTEY RECALL........the recall remains open As I mentioned.........I'll find out today.both from dealer, and from GM Tech center.
spiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #39
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceman View Post
Will look into the reall position today and post.
Usually when a recall is listed as a SAFTEY RECALL........the recall remains open As I mentioned.........I'll find out today.both from dealer, and from GM Tech center.
I am sure you have seen this....but print in out... it is the latest I could find, February 2006:

http://corvetteforum.net/c5/kenficht...olumn_lock.pdf

Keep us advised!!

Jim
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #40
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM KILL View Post
I am sure you have seen this....but print in out... it is the latest I could find, February 2006:

http://corvetteforum.net/c5/kenficht...olumn_lock.pdf

Keep us advised!!

Jim

Jim,

there is a HUGE sticky over there in C5 tech....probably more than any human being wants to know about the Column Lock issue

anyway...I have found that nothing is hard and fast when it comes to this issue and some people cannot unlock a locked column but some can with the adaptor. In some cases you may need to experiment to see what gets you where you need to be.

After the CLB install you will be able to turn the wheel with the ignition off and no key. You will not be able to lock the wheel. On the other hand you will never be stuck again either
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote