The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 02-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road
Default I guess....Murphy lives

On Oct 01.07 I ordered the PS kit for my 72 BB. Received it, installed it and it was good (so they say). Was driving home from Punta Gorda today and Murphy showed his ugly head once again. I lost my power steering. Didn't hear a belt banging or such as the steering got heavy. All else was well. OK WTF over, so we drove home the last 30 miles or so. Parked Goldie in the drive way and popped the hood. All belts in tact but PS fluid (dark gray to black in color?!?) all over the damned place. Oh happy days.

I'll contact Paragon tomorrow in reference to replacing the PS pump but brothers this just ain't right . If ya don't already know it replacing a PS pump of a BB C3 is a major hemmroid.

Thank you lord may I have another!
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
On Oct 01.07 I ordered the PS kit for my 72 BB. Received it, installed it and it was good (so they say). Was driving home from Punta Gorda today and Murphy showed his ugly head once again. I lost my power steering. Didn't hear a belt banging or such as the steering got heavy. All else was well. OK WTF over, so we drove home the last 30 miles or so. Parked Goldie in the drive way and popped the hood. All belts in tact but PS fluid (dark gray to black in color?!?) all over the damned place. Oh happy days.

I'll contact Paragon tomorrow in reference to replacing the PS pump but brothers this just ain't right . If ya don't already know it replacing a PS pump of a BB C3 is a major hemmroid.

Thank you lord may I have another!
Good luck! We work on them quite often. I'd say by the color of the fluid something internal broke. If it was just a line it would still be a bright/clearer color.
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Kap142

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevXtreme 1 View Post
Good luck! We work on them quite often. I'd say by the color of the fluid something internal broke. If it was just a line it would still be a bright/clearer color.
The color struck me as the oditity. But I guess it kinda makes sense for a broken internal part. Jeeze what a farkin mess
Unread 02-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your misfortune today going home...

On the bright side, good seeing you again and congrats on your win...

Armando
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Hey Ken.......just a thought........you think that the fluid is getting too hot? I seem to recall that someone makes an oil cooler for power steering systems. Maybe that's something to think about. Could just be "infant mortality" and ole Mr. Murphy checking in, but it wouldn't hurt to get something on there that will help to keep the fluid cooler.
Funny it "just happened" AFTER getting the Q-jet squared away............Hmmmmmm.....
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
Kap142

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
Hey Ken.......just a thought........you think that the fluid is getting too hot? I seem to recall that someone makes an oil cooler for power steering systems. Maybe that's something to think about. Could just be "infant mortality" and ole Mr. Murphy checking in, but it wouldn't hurt to get something on there that will help to keep the fluid cooler.
Funny it "just happened" AFTER getting the Q-jet squared away............Hmmmmmm.....
Andy
Awwwww, interesting point Andy. I wonder..... You don't think it's those damn aliens again do you? They can be such a pain.
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Man Ken! I'm sorry to see this

Hope it's not a major PITA to repair
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

That sucks,glad you made it home safe
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
Awwwww, interesting point Andy. I wonder..... You don't think it's those damn aliens again do you? They can be such a pain.
Probably not aliens (if they were aliens and you didn't want them in "Goldie", would they be illegal aliens ??) but more than likely the nefarious "Gremlins". Not the ones made by American Motors just your everyday, average, grief and aggrevation causing, gremlins, who pop up at the most inopportune times! On second thought.............that Q-jet might be a 1/72 scale model of one of those "mother ships" that I've been reading about, and aliens are coming around for a "lookie-see"!
I hear that Gremlins don't like "spells" and willl vacate the premises if a spell is put on them. You need to get some voodoo chicken bones, put them in a Crown Royal bag, walk all around "Goldie" shaking the bag of bones while chanting
IAM
SOFA KING
WEE TODD
EDD
over and over! Not only will that drive the Gremlins away, but quite possibly your neighbors as well! Seriously Ken, I sure hope you find out what went wrong and are able to correct it quickly, easily, and inexpensively!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
Kap142

Name :

Ya know Andy you might be right all along. It appears that I had installed the dbl grooved pulley backwards, it worked but the key held nothing so eventually the pulley began to wobble then, of course, it mucked up the pump T-totally. IAM SOFA KING WEE TODD EDD, IAM SOFA KING WEE TODD EDD, IAM SOFA KING WEE TODD EDD

Now to clean up the mess in the engine bay and wait till the new pump arrives at noon, come to think of it it'll take me that long to clean up.

OK up date. Pully was on correctly (it'll only fit one way, duh) but it had loosed up a bit and sheared the key causing all of the afore mentioned.

Last edited by Kap142; 02-25-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Kap142 is offline   Reply With Quote