The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 05-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #1571
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

BTW, here's a closeup of that hole Aaron drilled into the throttle body blade.

It appears, in my opinion, that he didn't even bother taking the throttle body off of the intake to drill that hole, with no apparent concern for metal particles that may fall off of the back while drilled and into my intake manifold to be likely ingested by the engine. As can be seen from this photograph, there are still metal burrs left on the backside of that plate, which had the throttle body been removed for the drilling, would have most likely been removed prior to putting the throttle body back into place on the manifold.
Unread 05-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #1572
vetteguy61

Name : Mike Elmore
vetteguy61 has disabled reputation

Hey Rich, Great quaility control by Aaron on that throttle body.
vetteguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #1573
Rich Z

While waiting on those longer intake manifold bolts, I just puttered around with some minor stuff on the car today. The painted radiator upper support was cracked, so I JB Welded it at the crack to see if that will hold up.

The M4 cap headed bolts I ordered came in so I pulled off the MAP bracket I had machined, and put it under the milling machine and countersunk the hole on top so that bolt would fit flush with the top surface.

I shouldn't need to mess with that any longer.

While the throttle body was off of the intake manifold (again!) I rechecked the flatness of that mounting surface again, since the throttle body wasn't fitting as flush as I liked against the intake. I bought a flat edge last time I was out at Home Depot and was able to better check the flatness of the surface. Three of the four threaded brass inserts was sticking ever so slightly above the plastic, so I filed them down completely flush. Also put in the new throttle body gasket that had come in a few days ago. I know they say you can reuse those rubber gaskets, but I can see that the new one sticks out noticeably further than the old one did. So just as well I got a new one and changed it out.

On CorvetteForum one of the guys there suggested that I try to find some specialty plastic ties that are made to give a better seal on round surfaces. Supposedly Evinrude dealers carry them, so I looked up a local dealer in Tallahassee and Connie and I ran out there to see if I could pick up a few. Well, the address where the place was supposed to be located is now an abandoned building. Should have known better, as finding stuff locally I need is usually a worthless effort. Unfortunately the only place I could find them even online is located in Washington state, so I had to second day air them in so I would have them no later than Friday. I want to get the engine back together by the weekend. That little nut snafu set me back a week and I'm getting antsy to get started on the tuning. I think Ed is out of town this week anyway, so I guess it worked out. Assuming nothing else pops up, of course.....

Oh, here's what those wire wrap ties look like that I mentioned above.
Attached Images

Unread 05-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #1574
Rich Z

Today I cut out 6.5 ft. out of that Racetronix wiring harness for the fuel pumps, as I had the excess just tucked up around the fuel filter, and looked like a rat's nest up there. So I pulled it down, cut out the excess, soldered and heat shrink covered the joints, double wrapped it all with convoluted tubing to protect it, and wire tied it all in place. Looks a LOT better now. Plus no chance that excess harness could somehow come undone and wind up wrapped around the driver's side half shaft or something else embarrassing.

I'm thinking I should make up another MAP sensor bracket for the back of the intake manifold where the stock one is located. But a simpler more utilitarian version, as this will be non visible. Something like a straight sided "Z". Bottom horizontal leg where the bolt screws in, and the top horizontal leg holding down on the top of the sensor to keep in in place. The vertical section just needs to go between the "mickey mouse ears" on the side. The stock one is just held in there with a single screw and washer, and I'm thinking I should try to do a preemptive strike on anything that COULD possibly go wrong while the time and opportunity is right to do it.
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #1575
Rich Z

The other day when Connie and I pulled the intake manifold off of the engine, I noted that there was quite a bit of oil around the intake ports of the heads and apparently in the runners of the manifold itself. Come to think of it, there was a substantial amount of oil at the entranceway into the intake manifold when I took off the throttle body to replace it with the LS2 model, even some oil on the throttle body plate itself. I didn't think too much about it at the time, as I recalled that Aaron had had three instances that I could recall while he had the car that had caused oil to be ingested into the air intake system because of a problem with the STS scavenge pump. The first time he claimed there was a wire pinched in the bell housing, the second time because when he put braided SS lines on the oil lines he used too small of a diameter return hose, and the third time when he forgot to hook the power back up to the scavenge pump after doing something else. So I just figured the oil in the intake came from one or more of those three incidents.

But I dunno, seemed to be a LOT of oil, and when I saw the oil literally dripping out of the intake at the head ports, well, it just stuck in the back of my mind as something I needed to think about.

Well, I wasn't too sure about what Aaron had done with the PCV system, as Harwood had installed a catch can and for some reason Aaron removed that and put in something else that also looks like a catch can, but has a filtered breather sitting on top of it.

This thing has a large hose running to it from the front of both valve covers. There is supposed to be a drain at the bottom, but there is no way to get to it while it is mounted , apparently. If I recall correctly, Aaron's suggestion was for me to pull off that filter and try to siphon out the oil that way.

Anyway, I noted that the oil was rather dark colored, so based on how dark the oil was when I changed it, it is a pretty safe bet that this oil in the intake all happened before I brought the car back home. I'm using Brad Penn Oil when I changed the oil myself, which is green colored, so what I am seeing is definitely NOT green colored.

So, with some questions in my mind about the PCV system in general, I found a thread that appeared to delve into this topic at length, and started looking into it last night. Might be worthwhile reading for anyone else interested in this topic. -> http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...outing-ok.html

So, with all that in mind, today (Thursday) I decided to take a look at putting that oil catch can that Aaron removed back into the car. Now this wasn't a small object to have to find a spot for...

Just the cans themselves are something like 8 inches tall and around 3 inches in diameter EACH. Heck, I had a tough time trying to find a place for that vacuum manifold block a little while back that was not nearly as big as this dual catch can. The only place that even came close was inside the driver side fender at the front up where that EGR pump used to be that I removed. But it was only close, not a fit. The only way that looked even possible to do was to have a single catch can and mount it on the EGR pump bracket. And even then, it had to be on an angle, not straight up and down. So I hated to do it, but I took that dual catch can into the work room, and separated the two by sawing through the welds. Working with a single can makes it much easier, but still, I only have the can sitting there as I really need to check to make certain that the headlight on that side doesn't hit the hoses nor the can when it opens. The can clears the headlight OK in the closed position, but I have no idea if the back section drops down much when the headlight is opened. So I need to check that out when I've got the battery hooked back up. I think there is supposed to be some sort of manual method to open up the headlight, but darn if I know what it might be.

Anyway, today the (correct) longer bolts for the intake manifold came in, as did those caps I wanted for the danged bolts that hold the upper and lower pieces of the intake together. I'm going to cap those darn things so there will be NO chance I will have another incident of my loosening those wrong bolts again accidentally.

I'm still waiting on the power brake booster vacuum cable to come in, and I guess it's fortunate I had ordered one. I really ordered it just so I could put that formed end back on that goes to the check valve, but when poking around in back of the intake manifold, I noticed a curious thing about the other end of that hose...

Hmm, does that look like a smaller hose shoved into a larger hose back there? I guess I need to replace the entire hose and just put the "T" for the vacuum manifold block into that new hose.... Hopefully it will be in on Friday and I can start putting this all back together again.

When I was telling Connie about what I felt I needed to do with the catch can stuff, she got kind of a sad look on her face and said "You are never going to be done working on that car, are you?" Sure does seem that way......
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #1576
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Wow, those are some large cans for the room you have (or don't have). No sense in trying to rush things now. Keep going over the small details, and you'll KNOW your car is good when you get behind the wheel and MASH that go pedal. I can't even imagine how much you must want this project to just be over with, but it's going to be a show stopper when YOU are done with it. You'll be able to say it was BUILT by CorvetteFlorida.com! I think that'll be pretty darn cool!
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #1577
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Rich, after you're done with this project, there M-I-G-H-T be a second career as
a Vette Mech/mod installer on your horizon
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #1578
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

He's got the garage for it. LOL
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #1579
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
Rich, after you're done with this project, there M-I-G-H-T be a second career as
a Vette Mech/mod installer on your horizon
Andy
No man, not a chance. I'm only doing this kind of stuff because I HAVE to now. Becoming a tech/mechanic is just not my idea of how to spend retirement.

But thanks for the compliments.
Unread 05-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #1580
vetteguy61

Name : Mike Elmore
vetteguy61 has disabled reputation

Hi Rich,
At the back of the pop up lights is a small motor. It has an adjustment screw to raise the lights manually. Hope this helps you.
vetteguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports