The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 07-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
Mannings

Name : Rick Manning
Mannings is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks Shadow, Rick Z, 85vette

Well you guy's really got me thinking today about our country and me being by choice part of the silent majority (problem, my defination). After our tangent on bad renters I proceeded to surf a few web sites to find out more about our nations current state of affairs and the things I didn't take time to care about or know.

Healthcare is on top this week. What in God's name are those elected fools thinking about? The bigger question is were have my wife and I been while this was going on not to mention the stimulas package (now that's working well ) I asked myself, if I'm this disengaged how many others are?

I got off the couch and e-mailed my soon to be close friends Mel Martinez, Bill Nelson and Vern Buchannan about my displeasure with what's going on in Washington. This is just the beginning for me.

When I see Joe Biden speak on TV I realize that these guy's aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer and my God he's next in line to be President, then Nancy. I encourage others to really take a close look at what's going on in our country, get off the couch and let your elected officials know your views.
Mannings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Regardless of what anyone else may try to tell you, the reason this country is in such sad shape is because our government has been trampling all over the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights for decades. Those documents were designed by out forefathers to LIMIT the federal government (and by implication those state governments that combined make up these United States of America), to certain itemized powers. Those documents grant US all the rights and privileges of being a United States citizen and are an attempt to give us a form of government (constitutional republic) that is not subject to the whim of a misled majority to rescind any of those rights and privileges based on a "for your own good" sort of justification.

We are at the brink of losing completely our national sovereignty to the United Nations. We have already lost most of our commerce and our ability to be competitive as a manufacturing power in world commerce. Not only are jobs evaporating, but the expertise and knowledge to DO those jobs will soon be gone as well. Our economy is almost completely dependent upon imports from China. China owns most of our government's debt and no one is talking about what will happen if they suddenly demand payment in full. I believe that threat is what got them control over the Panama Canal from us. And certainly there is more to come.

And our "representatives" in Congress are allowing this to happen on their watch. I would like to say that the simple solution to this is to simply THROW THE BUMS OUT, but quite honestly I have no more faith in our voting system, since it has become pretty nearly unaccountable. I can't go anywhere to verify that MY vote actually went to whom I intended it to go. So with that in mind, whoever controls the voting results can really say whatever they want about what the result was, and we have absolutely no recourse.

I wish I were more optimistic, but these days, even being a down and out pessimist probably doesn't go quite far enough in seeing what is happening...
Unread 07-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Regardless of what anyone else may try to tell you, the reason this country is in such sad shape is because our government has been trampling all over the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights for decades.
You hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
quite honestly I have no more faith in our voting system, since it has become pretty nearly unaccountable. I can't go anywhere to verify that MY vote actually went to whom I intended it to go. So with that in mind, whoever controls the voting results can really say whatever they want about what the result was, and we have absolutely no recourse.
I agree again. Not to turn this into a McCain vs Obama debate (because we all know McCain and Obama are VERY similiar) but MY understanding is that McCain won the popular vote and Obama the electoral vote. How does that work again? Know the right people, stump heavy in the liberal NE states with high electoral power, win 30-40 percent of the popular vote, but get all your friends in liberal NE to throw their electoral votes at you?

Our votes don't mean crap.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

So, since the popular vote doesn't really count, why bother having a popular vote in the first place? Just to make us FEEL like our vote may count for something?
Unread 07-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

The biggest heartbreak of all is that we are NOT the "silent" majority, but rather the MINORITY...I've lost all faith in our electoral system and am reminded that the very people taking us down the tubes were elected by the MAJORITY! The present administration (and Congress) are taking us over the cliff while many of our fellow Americans cheer on the sidelines...
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Even if you could "throw the bums out", they would just be replaced by new bums....corruption and self-servitude is at a premium these days.
Unread 07-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Even if you could "throw the bums out", they would just be replaced by new bums....corruption and self-servitude is at a premium these days.
TERM LIMITS!!!!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
TERM LIMITS!!!!
Andy
You got it Andy. The problem is that those who can make the change don't want to be out in two or three voting cycles.

We need candidates that believe in the Constitution and are willing to legislate for term limits. The problem I see is that neither Democrats nor Republicans are willing to do this.

It was not meant for Congressmen/women to have the job for life.

Lou
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

Shadow has the right info on alot of stuff......the problem with most of the ones that think right & respect our constitution & Bill of rights is we DON'T raise hell and protest and scream loudly....we try to act civil & do whats right.
Unread 07-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevXtreme 1 View Post
Shadow has the right info on alot of stuff......the problem with most of the ones that think right & respect our constitution & Bill of rights is we DON'T raise hell and protest and scream loudly....we try to act civil & do whats right.
My New Hero!!