The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 05-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #41
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Hey, look on the bright side...things are actually moving forward! That's just going to be an absolute beast when she hits the road!
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #42
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Log - Monday, 05/10/2010

Got a call from Chris in the morning. He told me he has been having problems getting the oil panned machined enough to fit the block, so he was running back to the machine shop again to get more metal removed. He said there is no one with the needed milling machine in Blountstown, so it was taking a lot of time traveling back and forth to Tallahassee to get the work done.

By the after noon, it still hadn't been resolved. Sheesh, that's just great... Damned minor BS crap like this really gums up the works getting this done. I'm fully expecting to get the word that the LS6 oil pan just will not work with that RHS block and then we're up the creek without a paddle. Not sure there would be any resolution at that point other than going back to square one, which honestly just is not going to happen. If we hit a brick wall again with this build, then it's just a wash out and I'm done with it. I'm worried enough as it is that removing all that material from the oil pan will weaken it to where it eventually cracks on me. That would be just wonderful one year and one month from now when I would be literally left holding the bag.

Well, so much for getting that engine started up on Tuesday or Wednesday. That's certainly NOT going to happen... And certainly the car won't be done in time to do the Cruisin' Corvettes show in Tallahassee neither.

I know people are saying that once this is over with and I'm driving my car again that it will all be worth it. But honestly, THAT particular light at the end of the tunnel is just not getting any closer, it seems.

Not sure what is in store for tomorrow, but I guess it depends on that oil pan. If it can be made to fit without introducing it's own problems, then I guess everything else will be moot anyway.
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #43
gsdave
engineer

Name :
gsdave is on a distinguished road

Glad to see you're making some progress.

Surely someone makes an aftermarket pan for this application? I decided instead of beating my factory pan into submission, I would just buy a new pan for my 383. It fit great.
'70 LeMans Sport
gsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #44
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdave View Post
Glad to see you're making some progress.

Surely someone makes an aftermarket pan for this application? I decided instead of beating my factory pan into submission, I would just buy a new pan for my 383. It fit great.
Where did you get the pan from?

I guess if Chris can't get the current pan to fit with machining, this may be the avenue he needs to check up on. But of course that means another delay awaiting a new oil pan. Based on my score card of luck with this build, the pan needed for my application will be backordered for three months....

Thanks...
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #45
gsdave
engineer

Name :
gsdave is on a distinguished road

I got mine from Exotic Muscle, but looks like their catalog is 'down for 2010 updating'. You might check with Canton and some other manufacturers to see.

Any thoughts of going with a dry sump setup? It'd be worth a few extra HP.
gsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #46
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdave View Post
I got mine from Exotic Muscle, but looks like their catalog is 'down for 2010 updating'. You might check with Canton and some other manufacturers to see.

Any thoughts of going with a dry sump setup? It'd be worth a few extra HP.
Right now my SINGULAR goal is to get my car back on the road. I really don't want to do anything that will introduce any further complications nor delays.

Chris is still fighting with the oil pan. I spoke to him on the phone this morning and he says he talked to Bryan and he just needs to take more metal off till it fits. Honestly, I'm not real keen about this. I doubt the specs for that oil pan called for a bunch of extra unneeded metal, so I doubt there is a lot to spare before it becomes flimsy. Sure would ruin my day to have this highly modified oil pan get cracked by a rock or something because it was severely weakened while driving and then stuck out on the road somewhere with no way to get a replacement and get the car back on the road.

I will run out there tomorrow and I want to see at least the cradles put together with the suspension and drivetrain. If the oil pan problem hasn't been satisfactorily resolved, then I may just have Chris put the LS6 back in and ship yet another unacceptable engine back to LME. If that RHS block wasn't designed to work as a replacement for a LS6, then it will not suit my needs.

I'll be quite honest about it, I'm getting REAL tired of this headache....
Unread 05-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #47
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Sucks!

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #48
vetteguy61

Name : Mike Elmore
vetteguy61 has disabled reputation

I'm sure you are rich. Seems like it's been one thing after another that's wrong on your motor. I think we're both in the same boat with no paddles.
vetteguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #49
Rich Z

Chris just called me and told me he found a machine shop in Marianna that could do the remaining metal removal he needed. He now has the oil pan on. He plans to get the engine put together and onto the cradle as well as getting the suspension mounted on the cradles the rest of today. It's too late to run out there today, so I'm planning on being out there tomorrow.

I feel a bit better now.......... But this certainly is being a real roller coaster ride....
Unread 05-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #50
vetteguy61

Name : Mike Elmore
vetteguy61 has disabled reputation

It sure has Rich. I sure hope the rest of the build goes smooth. You sure deserve it.
vetteguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports