The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 05-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

I think it would be a safe bet that he was all of 7 feet or more. Probably a good 300 lbs too. I guess that pretty much takes care of the late night strolls huh? It amazed me how something that big could climb those trees so effortlessly. And I saw that pic you posted of the metal siding on your shed just shredded.....I still think I'd keep the shotgun handy in case he figures out you keep the bird feed in the house!
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I mentioned to Connie that it probably was a good thing we didn't have the windows open in the house. She had cooked up a turkey during the day, so the smell of that coming out of the windows might have been irresistible to the bear.

Shotgun, hell.... I've get an AR modified to shoot the .50 Beowulf cartidge next to the bed.
Attached Images

Unread 05-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
85vette

Name :

Dam Rich! After about 5 rounds of that I'm not sure who would be hurting more. The bear or my right shoulder! I think I'd be feeling sorry for both.....bet that's fun to shoot....for a little while....
Unread 05-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #14
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Dam Rich! After about 5 rounds of that I'm not sure who would be hurting more. The bear or my right shoulder! I think I'd be feeling sorry for both.....bet that's fun to shoot....for a little while....
I would bet that when a bear is charging you, you wouldn't even notice the gun's recoil.........
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
85vette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I would bet that when a bear is charging you, you wouldn't even notice the gun's recoil.........
Yeah, but I'm used to M16's, MP5's, and AR15's. It definitely wouldn't feel like what I'd be expecting!
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
Mannings

Name : Rick Manning
Mannings is on a distinguished road

Rich, this is great stuff. I live south of Sarasota near the coast and up until 15 years ago we had bear, panther, red fox ect passing through the yard often. They've all moved east to avoid the dreaded influx of snow birds, transit and now resident. I envy you for still having that great florida nature.

We have property in Maine. Friday and Saturday nights one of the only outside activities is going to the dump to watch the bears. Maybe you and Connie can open up a small concession stand and sell tickets. There might be a bright side to this $$$$$$.
Mannings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannings View Post
Rich, this is great stuff. I live south of Sarasota near the coast and up until 15 years ago we had bear, panther, red fox ect passing through the yard often. They've all moved east to avoid the dreaded influx of snow birds, transit and now resident. I envy you for still having that great florida nature.

We have property in Maine. Friday and Saturday nights one of the only outside activities is going to the dump to watch the bears. Maybe you and Connie can open up a small concession stand and sell tickets. There might be a bright side to this $$$$$$.
When I was a kid, my parents took me to Englewood and we stayed on the south part of Manasota Key. It used to be a wilderness there then, as the key had very few houses built on it. Matter of fact the road north on the key towards Manasota Key Beach was nothing but sand much of the way.

Even Sarasota was just a one horse hick town back then, with wilderness surrounding it. Was not at all unusual to see bobcats and even panther on the roads.

As a song has said, which pretty much describes state and local development policies, "They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot." Wildlife does not generate any tax revenue.
Unread 05-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
Mannings

Name : Rick Manning
Mannings is on a distinguished road

I completely understand your memories of this area. I'm third generation Floridian, raised on Siesta Key when the population was about 30-40 full time families in the late 40's and early 50's.

We moved off the Key in the early 60's because of the population Boom, boy look at it now.
Mannings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #19
Rich Z

Well, the bear came by again this early AM, around 2:45. I heard the alarm go off, and sure enough, he was at the feeder. He took off as soon as the flashlight beam hit him. I had heard dogs barking earlier, so I guess they all caught wind of him as he was heading this way making his rounds. His timing must be a little off, though, as trash pickup was yesterday morning.

I guess I REALLY need to set up that electric fence gizmo to zap him on the nose a couple of times to convince him to go away and stay away.
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
Rich Z

This morning Connie burst into the bedroom and yelled to me that there was a bear in the yard. It was just after 8am, so I was still asleep, but I threw off the covers, jumped out of bed and ran into the den to grab my camcorder.

Sure enough....

Oh yeah, I have to admit that I was buck naked following the bear down the driveway, as I didn't have the time to put on any clothes, but the bear just ignored the wild naked man with the camera following him.... Of course, the yellow flies REALLY liked all the fresh white meat I was offering them. Ah, the joys of living in the country.

Anyway, this was trash pickup day, so apparently the bear was making his rounds checking out the trash receptacles. I'm sure they have learned that those green plastic containers with the blue tops often hold goodies to eat in them. For the record, we NEVER had a bear problem around here till WastePro took over trash collection and then those trash bins became bear magnets. But apparently ours didn't pass the bear sniff test this morning, as he just sniffed it a few times and then walked on down the road. Connie walked out to the end of the driveway to see if she could still see him, but he had vanished by then.

He didn't touch any of our bird feeders or really anything else I can tell around the house. So I guess he was really just passing through.

Heck, that bear acted like he didn't have a care in the world...