The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 10-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #21
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

You're getting almost as cynical as I am in your old age

I don't think it's the club. It's the individual.

My wife says I'd make friends with a rattle snake. As most here know, I have in the past

When I used to go to shows, I went to see the cars, get some ideas, and meet old and new friends...period!

I tried to promote the site as much as I could, fir the reason(s) stated previously. There's NO financial gain in it for me. I do it because it seemed that this would be a great "central location" for Floridians, and those with an interest in both Florida and Corvettes, to gather, without all the hustle and bustle of national and international sites, to find local meetings, cruises, events and in general, just shoot the bull with "neighbors"

I've met a lot of the people on this site at parties, shows and other events. More percentage wise, than I ever met off the other sites I was on.

And most are close enough, that in my statewide travels, If I plan ahead, I could meet the others too.

That, and a few other things, is what sets this place apart from many others. No one site is particularly "better" than another. All have thier strong and weak points. This just happens to be a strong point for us.

All that BS said, if the clubs and such would make use of the boards FREE SPACE a lot of good could come from it

Instead of seeing who can be the biggest, they could actually work toward bringing the community together, get more people involved in each other's events, and have some hellacious parties, cruises and fundraisers.

But it seems the old "Divide and Conquer" routine is alive and well in the corvette community

Rich is right about one thing for sure!

I will drive and have driven, all the way across the state and south to Vero Beach, and back, in a torrential down pour, with a leaky vette, just to be a part of something special. When one of the members from the other place passed away, one of ther members hosted a fundraiser and auction to raise money.

Although the weather kept some away, the parking area was still full and we raised, IIRC, around $1500-$2000.00 for the cause. BOught a brick and I think a bench or something in his honor at the museum.

I've travelled all over the state to do fundraisers.

So yes, given a reason, vette people will drive for yours to meet up.

And finally, PEOPLE from this site have on several occasions, assisted me or my family, not jsut with vette related matters (although one of the guys did come out when the 87 tossed the belt...brought tools and muscle and a truck, and we fixed the SOB on the side of the road!

Oh, and although we don't do a lot of them, when we do get together, it's a hell of a party!!

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #22
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Hell, go to most shows these days and watch how the demographics work. Everyone from particular clubs not only park together, but none of them will generally congregate with anyone other than their own local club members. Rarely will you see the folks with the yellow or red "gang" shirts mingling with the ones with the green shirts. When Connie and I would go to the shows, we didn't have the matching shirts so we would generally be ignored completely. So we just stopped doing most of them. Why bother? When we would go to the local club cruise ins, unless we tackled someone physically, most wouldn't utter two words to us the entire time.
My wife and I belonged to a club in Central Florida and left them for the reasons you mentioned. Even within the club, they had little groups that would hang together and not bother with others.

As far as gearheads are concerned, I think it has to do with how/when they got interested in Corvettes. I don't know enough to consider myself a gearhead but I do know how to turn a wrench and get my hands dirty.
I bought my first Vette in 1963 and had at times up to three jobs to pay for it. With help from my friends made a number of performance changes and did the 1/4 mile thing. Marriage and children came next and was Vette-less until 1983 when I bought another '63. I have had Vettes since then. I replaced the mufflers with NPP and changed the console but will not personally attempt to make any engine changes to my '06.

I did not find many owners at the club that had Vettes for more than a few years, never got their hands dirty under the hood and cared less.
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #23
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Hell, go to most shows these days and watch how the demographics work. Everyone from particular clubs not only park together, but none of them will generally congregate with anyone other than their own local club members. Rarely will you see the folks with the yellow or red "gang" shirts mingling with the ones with the green shirts. When Connie and I would go to the shows, we didn't have the matching shirts so we would generally be ignored completely. So we just stopped doing most of them. Why bother? When we would go to the local club cruise ins, unless we tackled someone physically, most wouldn't utter two words to us the entire time.

So really, if that is most folks' idea of how to run a Corvette Club, then count us out. I will just abandon any effort here to pull the clubs together and give them all a common ground to cross fertilize members and ideas. They can just stay on their little islands with their own natives and we'll motor around them in our own travels.
Rich...well said...I too have noticed the pack mentality (cliques) at these events and it is a bit disappointing....If you are not one of them, you dont exist...
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #24
Scully

Name :
Scully has disabled reputation

I agree with both of you had the same experience
Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #25
road pilot

Name :
road pilot has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteJedi View Post
I am fighting with something similar. I am a member of a club, but I just don't know if I want to continue with them. I would love to find a group that likes to do more with there Vette than go to a restaurant or plop you butt down at a car show all day.

I am still new to the Vette (had mine about a year now) and with a wife and 2 young kids, my funds are usually limited as well as my time. But I would love to do some autocross, drags, cruzin, tinkering, etc...

Hmmm... maybe some people here should start something up. Anyone interested?
I am always interested!!!!
road pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #26
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, if I do get a lift installed in my new garage, anyone nearby who needs a lift for some repairs or mods is welcome to come by to use it. Just as long as you don't tie it up for too long. And clean up your mess afterwards. You might have to put up with me trying to help, though....
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #27
road pilot

Name :
road pilot has disabled reputation

I guess the problem with most clubs-is the poltics that are swirling
within and between the "lifers" and the "Jr's. The ol timers were their the
longest and new blood with new ideas cannot be tolerated. Here's a
example: the club has meetings twice a month year round. The "Jr's"
wanted to have one meeting a month with the regular dinner,auto=
cross,etc because of all of our commitment s during the summer months.
The oldster's went to pieces changing the schudule. Something as
small as that change and the club was in a uproar. I agreed with the
"Jr's" and the motion past. I was dirty taking their side. You figure.
I just want a little bit up of stress free entertainment.
Yes the club is entertaining but...............................
I was a member of a corvette club in DC about 40 years ago and it
was the best. We were all kids not really some of my best friends
were 40 and 50 years old. I think the oldest had a 54 and he bought
it new. He was a cool guy. People had money back then but they
were not so showy like today.
Maybe part of the problem is MONEY or how to act like you don't
have it. It's easy to show off with money it' takes more style to
look like a regular guy. So possibly the problem stems from a lack
of style by most present vette' owners. It kind of goes with the
times we are in.
road pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #28
Mannings

Name : Rick Manning
Mannings is on a distinguished road

Rich Z "Hell, go to most shows these days and watch how the demographics work. Everyone from particular clubs not only park together, but none of them will generally congregate with anyone other than their own local club members. Rarely will you see the folks with the yellow or red "gang" shirts mingling with the ones with the green shirts. When Connie and I would go to the shows, we didn't have the matching shirts so we would generally be ignored completely. So we just stopped doing most of them. Why bother? When we would go to the local club cruise ins, unless we tackled someone physically, most wouldn't utter two words to us the entire time."

Oh so true Oh ya, the club with the most members at the shows wins the most trophys. Now we're having fun.

Ok I'm stopping
Mannings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #29
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052 View Post
Rich...well said...I too have noticed the pack mentality (cliques) at these events and it is a bit disappointing....If you are not one of them, you dont exist...
Hell, try having a C4 (and a regular, old, nothing special one at that) amonst the sea of C5 & 6's.....

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:13 AM   #30
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Hell, try having a C4 (and a regular, old, nothing special one at that) amongst the sea of C5 & 6's.....
Just sayin...
Attached Images

floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote