The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Events and Happenings

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Events and Happenings Shows | Cruises | Parties | Swap Meets

Unread 05-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Question Parking at Shows

I noticed in another post that someone suggested parking by class rather than combining those arriving by "clubs". Due to the "discussions" regarding voting by People's Choice, Bay Area is toying with the idea of going to Judging classes as some of the shows do. I've been doing this for over 40 years and know that the only way to do judging (and have everyone out by sunset) is to put the cars in classes. Or limit the attendance to 100 or less. As a judge running around a field or lot trying to locate all the cars in the class you are going to judge is a hassle at best. Give me some feedback on how you feel if we were to insist that you park by class. Yea or nay? I like to park with my club but when told where to park, I do what the host club requests. It's that way at the Venice show and knowing how difficult it is to judge, I have no problem parking by class.

Opinions????
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
TR6speed

Name :
TR6speed is on a distinguished road

I was the one that mentioned that in my reply to Harvey with the Vette's at the Light Show. The first time I saw it was earlier this year with the Ecklers show. I can see both points. Many clubs try to park together. In fact at you annual Dimmitt show we all arrive together just for that reason. We also allow at our Pier show for clubs to park together, and as you know, it is a judged show. We are able to get to all the cars, but I will admit, I feel rushed to make sure I get all the cars in my class and that I do not miss any. That means that I make at least one complete trip around the pier. I guess it has it pros and cons.
Actually, if we park by class, that gives you the opportunity to meet new people. When you park with your fellow club members, you have the tendency to stay with that group.
TR6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

I personally like to park by class. Judging seems to go smoother and you can size up the competition without having to go all over...
Unread 05-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Corvette owners are pretty picky. As TR6spped said they like to park together so they cruise over together, even pull over to wait for everyone to arrive before they drive in. I think that while the class parking is ok, the Vette world will buck the idea and in the mean time you will get alot of upset show guests that may not come back. I know I trust my fellow Vette Club members to be more careful around my car than someone I don't know. Some (a few) owners have come by a new Corvette ownership very easy and don't gat as anal about their cars as some who have worked hard for a long time for the car they own......

Plus you have to know EXACTLY how many people are going to show up and what areas to divide for their class parking. It would be easy to mis calculate and end up with too many spaces in one area and not enough in another area. This would lead to mixed classes anyway..... Or upset feelings that some Vettes park within inches of each other to have enough room while others have tons of room between them. I am very picky about my Vette and I would hate to see other cars parked right on top of my space.....
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

I don't belong to any club, but when I go to a show with friends I want to park with them, the people I know and feel comfortable with. There's plenty of time to walk around and meet new people. Besides, I don't think most people would appreciate being forced to park by me.
Unread 05-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Her03C5

Name :
Her03C5 has disabled reputation

I have a C5 and my husband has a C3. Obviously when we go to shows we want to park next to each other. However, I don't mind going to shows that make you park by class. Visually, I like seeing the generations parked together. When it is people's choice judging it makes it much easier for me to judge one car over the next when they are not spread all over the lot. Also, it make it easier for me to see what kind of competition I have.

Sometimes when the cars are parked by clubs I find it kind of intimidating to judge a persons car when all their club members are sitting behind it. Again I'm talking about when it is people's choice judging. I think if more shows had class parking instead of club parking you might see their club members start voting on the best car instead of just voting on their club member's car.

FYI: Venice Florida Corvettes decided to do club parking this year instead of class parking at their Corvettes in Venice Show September 7, 2008. Too many clubs complained about not being able to park with their club members.
Her03C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
jcb_njb

Name : Jim Brackett
jcb_njb is on a distinguished road

When my club (America's Corvette Club of South Florida) had this years show, we set aside parking spots for the clubs that pre-registered and an area for non-club affiliated cars. As they arrived they were directed to the pre-assigned area. We had 100 Corvettes and ~100 other GM cars at the show and the judging seemed to go well.
jcb_njb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Huum?? All good points.

For me, I see the logic and logistical benefit of parking by class; however, since I never enter a show to be judged (be it a judged show or not), I could care less.

I go to shows to enjoy the comaraderie, look at cars, and usually only ones that support some charity.

If I had to park with a "class" instead of with me friends, I'd either stop registering and park in the parking lot or stop going all together.

If people stop registering, then everyone suffers except the trophy hunters.

Maybe have those that care to be judged park together and let the rest of us hang with our pals?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
329of1k

Name :
329of1k has disabled reputation

I must say that I will side with Gordon and his sentiments on parking. I too go for comraderie and I don't care about judging.
I do belong to an exclusive group however and when we park together the cars are all virtually in the same class anyway. Some of you have probably seen a line of Grand Sports at shows and it can be quite impressive with upwards of 10 or more parked together.
If I could not park with the Grand Sport group then I would not enjoy the show nearly as much but then again like I said we would probably be togehter anyway.
Grand Sport #329
Valrico, FL
329of1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking Shows

Celebration Show.....
They did the parking by Class and we also Caravaned over as a Club. I enjoyed the show being in Classes and met alot of new people. I think the Class Idea works and you can size up your competition alot easier. The real reason we want to be together is to sit around as a club and yak under our club tents, but at the St. Armands Show we were parked as a club and I never met new people. I would vote for a CLASS Show and Caravan down and set up a tent near a Central area and have lunch together as a Club.
"SIMPLE SOLUTION"
Jim