The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 10-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
donzee

Name :
donzee is on a distinguished road
Question Garage floor paint ???

Thinking of painting floor with the speckled stuff (U coat it or simular)and was wondering if anyone has suggestions or recommendations.
Ive painted it it epoxy based paint two or three times, etched it with acid wash , etc. but paint always pulls up where tires are. (usually pull cars in with hot tires)
What do I use???
donzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

I'm interested in responses to this inquiry too. I've thought of doing it many times but have seen too many garage floors where paint has been pulled up by tires.

They all make good claims as to performance but I'd like to know who has successfully used these type of projects and how they viewed the results.
Unread 10-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Default Tiles

I faced the same problem when we decided to re-do our garage. Talked it over with quite a few people and decided against paint/epoxy and went with the "RaceDeck" tiles. Got them thru Sam's Club for half the price of the actual "RaceDeck". Star & I did it ourselves in about a half-day and for about $650. We picked blue & white (blue & white cars) but a lot of colors are available. Here are some pics....

Last edited by Pres712; 10-25-2010 at 03:36 AM.
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

When I worked for Bill Thomas Chevrolet in Tallahassee (many years ago) they had the same issues. They painted and repainted the shop floors only to watch the paint peel up in strips as a car turned sharply to enter a work bay. They eventually contracted with a company (don't recall the name) that cleaned the floors and laid down an epoxy base that withstood everything they could throw at it. It was an amber colored, translucent coating that seemed to have some sort of gritty, non-slip surface. I recall that the contractor stated they could only apply it on concrete that had cured fully and if the moisture level was above a certain amount (within the concrete) they would not even have applied it. It lasted longer than the company did.

The above tile looks good. if you ever get an opportunity to go to the Antique Car Museum in Tallahasse you'll see that they have something similar.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
Charles@RSAevents

Name :
Charles@RSAevents has disabled reputation

have any sealing issues with the garage after installing the tile system? Like any water seepage?
Charles@RSAevents is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
When I worked for Bill Thomas Chevrolet in Tallahassee (many years ago) they had the same issues. They painted and repainted the shop floors only to watch the paint peel up in strips as a car turned sharply to enter a work bay. They eventually contracted with a company (don't recall the name) that cleaned the floors and laid down an epoxy base that withstood everything they could throw at it. It was an amber colored, translucent coating that seemed to have some sort of gritty, non-slip surface. I recall that the contractor stated they could only apply it on concrete that had cured fully and if the moisture level was above a certain amount (within the concrete) they would not even have applied it. It lasted longer than the company did.

The above tile looks good. if you ever get an opportunity to go to the Antique Car Museum in Tallahasse you'll see that they have something similar.
The facility I worked at in Ohio had epoxy applied to the floors. It was very durable. This was used in areas defined as clean rooms. They also had areas where we just used polyurethane spread with squeegees. This was to protect the concrete in case any PCB contaminated oil were to spill. This also held up. In Florida, they have had epoxy applied to the floors, also in the clean work designated areas. Real thin, but durable.
Unread 10-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Pres712
Pres712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles@RSAevents View Post
have any sealing issues with the garage after installing the tile system? Like any water seepage?

The garage floor was almost 10 years old and so far nothing has happened. It is impervious to all liquids but don't drop anything heavy on it...it doesn't break or snap but leaves a white stress mark. Hard to explain but my fault for being so dumb. The only drawback is that I need to have something under my jack when working on the car. I'm afraid that those tiny wheels would do something to the tile. A small sheet of plywood works.
Unread 10-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Hey Jim just an observation or two. First thanks for showing Star doing the layout (she's plenty cuiter then you) and second I see who really did all the work on that floor.

Almost seriously, wow very nice floor, very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres712 View Post
The garage floor was almost 10 years old and so far nothing has happened. It is impervious to all liquids but don't drop anything heavy on it...it doesn't break or snap but leaves a white stress mark. Hard to explain but my fault for being so dumb. The only drawback is that I need to have something under my jack when working on the car. I'm afraid that those tiny wheels would do something to the tile. A small sheet of plywood works.
Unread 10-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #9
Pres712
Pres712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
Hey Jim just an observation or two. First thanks for showing Star doing the layout (she's plenty cuiter then you) and second I see who really did all the work on that floor.

Almost seriously, wow very nice floor, very nice

Yes, she did do most of the "laying" of the floor, besides she is built closer to the ground! I did the cutting and fitting of the edges and around the water heater. No garage is exactly what it should measure and this one was no exception. Instead of being 18" across it was l7.85" and needed that saw you can see in one of the pics.
Unread 10-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

When I built my house in Ft. Myers in '05 I wanted to put something down on the garage floor that would seal it, look good, and not lift from the heat of the tires, brake fluid, oil, etc. I talked to the U-Coat It rep in Carlisle and got a ton of great information and eventually decided to go this route. This stuff is hard and very durable. It also washes up very easily. Here is the link to their website. You can go there, put your garage demensions into there system, select the product and color, and it will show you what it looks like and the cost of the materials.

http://ucoatit.com/pgs/main.htm

Here are a few photos of the floor that I took some time ago. You will notice that I use some old carpet scraps under the tires. That's just to make it easier on me to clean the floor. It has nothing to do with the UCoat It product. I hope this helps!

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote