The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road in Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road in Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences in Florida

Unread 08-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default They've GOT to be kidding!

The other day I was coming back from my weekly trip into Tallahassee to go to the post office and I had some clown in a SUV next to me speeding up and slowing down trying to egg me on, I guess. Then at the same time I had another clown in some beat up jalopy with big wheels all around riding my ass. I was already doing 58 in a 45 mph zone! Anyway, this went on for a while and I just got tired of it. Finally got to a stretch of road with no other traffic on it and I decided to get those clowns out of my hair. Didn't even downshift out of fifth, I just pressed on the GO pedal. I was to 110 in less time then it takes to tell about it, and left those two clowns WAY back in the distance.
Unread 08-05-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

I moved here from Mass three years ago, and I gotta tell ya I have never seen drivers like the people down here in my life. People in Mass drive crazy and fast, but not reckless like here. Running red lights is a way of life here, changing lanes to get ten feet ahead, stopping at lights and leaving fifteen feet between you and the car in front of you and the worst, slowing down for a yellow light and not knowing if the person behind you is planning to slow down also. I find it especially funny the way pedestrians are more like targets here than people who have the right of way. I know, I know natives here are going to say it's the non-Floridians, but I'm not buying it, drivers here have to be the worst in the nation. Drivers education should be mandatory in this state, and I don't mean online driving courses. Just my .02.
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well the situation here in Wakulla County is pretty bizarre. People will break their necks to pull out in front of you no matter how fast you are driving or how close you are to them. I believe there is some unwritten rule that as long as they get out onto the road, to hell with anyone else coming down the road towards them. Ninety mph to get onto the road then slow down to 35 mph is OK, even when the traffic on the road is going 60. Conversely, when it comes time for them to turn OFF of the road, you would think they were carrying nitroglycerine in the trunk as they slowly reduced speed then creeped around that turn. You would think they changed drivers somewhere along the way.

And BTW, I was up in Boston for a while, and that place scared the hell out of me. I learned the hard way that when a Bostonian turns on the turn signal, it is NOT a request. Get OUT of the way because he/she is COMING over! Like right NOW!
Unread 08-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
EZ GOIN
Gold Member

Name :
EZ GOIN is on a distinguished road

I don't know what its like in other parts of Florida, but the thing that ticks me off the most here in jax is that people WILL NOT let you in line. I don't care if it rush hour traffic or a slow sunday afternoon. People will just stop right in front of you while you're trying to get onto the road. They act like one more car in front of them is going to add an hour onto wherever they're going.
EZ GOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

I know that it's bad here in FL,,,, but have you ever driven in Atlanta or LA??? WWOOOAAAAAAAAA
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket
I know that it's bad here in FL,,,, but have you ever driven in Atlanta or LA??? WWOOOAAAAAAAAA
I've driven in both. You're right, it's nuts. But there is nothing like driving in Manhattan. Taxi's actually bump into each other trying to get through intersections. It's been awhile since I've been there. Maybe they've calmed down with the high gas prices, but I doubt it!

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 07:37 PM   #7
TwistedFun

Name :
TwistedFun has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro
I moved here from Mass three years ago, and I gotta tell ya I have never seen drivers like the people down here in my life. People in Mass drive crazy and fast, but not reckless like here. Running red lights is a way of life here, changing lanes to get ten feet ahead, stopping at lights and leaving fifteen feet between you and the car in front of you and the worst, slowing down for a yellow light and not knowing if the person behind you is planning to slow down also. I find it especially funny the way pedestrians are more like targets here than people who have the right of way. I know, I know natives here are going to say it's the non-Floridians, but I'm not buying it, drivers here have to be the worst in the nation. Drivers education should be mandatory in this state, and I don't mean online driving courses. Just my .02.
you just dont understand the way we do things down here yet. yellow means floor it. red means the next 5 cars go. green means look both ways and go only when it is clear. j/k my ex-wife was from boston and that is a crazy place to try to dive in. they really use their bumpers to park. what we call an accident they call using the bumpers to park. i think a lot of our problem is that we have so many people comming here from so many dif. places and they are all used to driving they way they drove where thay came from. the laws are not the same everywhere and lifestyles are not the same either. there are very few real floridians driving. we are a rare breed. they should make it mandatory that before you get a florida license you have to take a drivers school even if you have one from another state, no exceptions. i do agree people do drive like idiots here. the good news for me is it is job security. i am in the idiot business. if it were not for idiots and people doing stupid things i would be out of a job.
Unread 09-18-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
DWALK'00

Name :
DWALK'00 is on a distinguished road

I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro
I also live in Valrico and have for the past 14 years. I learned to drive here and 10 years ago when I started driving here there was only half as many people living here. You will eventually get use to it.
Four Rockferd Fozgate 10" subs, 1200w Kicker amp.
DWALK'00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Cmanhome
cmanhome

Name :
Cmanhome has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ GOIN View Post
I don't know what its like in other parts of Florida, but the thing that ticks me off the most here in jax is that people WILL NOT let you in line. I don't care if it rush hour traffic or a slow sunday afternoon. People will just stop right in front of you while you're trying to get onto the road. They act like one more car in front of them is going to add an hour onto wherever they're going.
Thats probably because they have been in the traffic line for about 20 minutes and someone who has not been in line speeds up and tries to get in front of the line. We wait, you wait also.
Cmanhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ GOIN View Post
I've had the good fortune (or misfortune, depending how you view it) to live in virtually all parts of the state and found the drivers in Jax to be actually better than most!
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote