The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road in Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road in Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences in Florida

Unread 04-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Lovebugs?

You know, I hear it a lot from people saying that us folks down in Florida are lucky because we can drive all year long without the winter season encroaching on the driving time. But I wonder..... What do you all do about the dreaded Love Bug season? Those little buggers can make a real mess out of your vehicle during the peak season and from what I understand, the acids in the body of those insects can eat up a paint job if you don't get their squashed bodies off pronto.

From what I can recall, there are two periods of peak activity: April-May, and then again August-September. I think I just missed the last cycle as I didn't get my Z06 until the end of September. And the Spring cycle is on the way, although I don't believe the Spring cycle is as severe up here in the Tallahassee area.

So what do you do? Do you just refrain from driving much during that time, or do you take other precautions? Or none at all?

Heck, I remember one year my wife painted the front door of the house right in the middle of lovebug season. There are still imprints of their carcasses on that paint job...
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 11:20 PM   #2
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

I know lovebugs from years back when I lived here. I don't plan to drive the Z during the LB season, but definitely not during the peek hours of the day for them. What ever I drive, be it my Jeep or the beater, I will use......

Diamondite® Bug Blocker! is a 21st century polymer compounded to hinder impacted flying insects from damaging vehicle surfaces. The buffered colorless gel is easy to apply safely by hand and provides both a physical and chemical barrier to safeguard the vehicle surface. Bug Blocker! provides a polymer film which impedes direct contact of the impacted flying insect with the vehicle surface. The buffering agents in Bug Blocker! are designed to neutralize body fluids from impacted flying insects. Bug Blocker! is easily removed after use by simply rinsing the treated area with water from a garden hose. Bug Blocker! may be used on all types of vehicle surfaces as well as plastic bug shields, chrome trim and paint protection film.

http://www.detailcity.com/diamondite-bug-blocker.html
Attached Images

Unread 04-21-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
Rich Z

Hmm, I wonder what it would be like hitting a big cloud of love bugs at 140 mph? Probably pretty ugly. Probably leave holes in the front bumper. Actually have you seen the size of some of the beetles that fly around at night around here? Having one of those suckers hit the windshield at high speed would probably sound like a gunshot at close quarters.
Unread 04-21-2006, 12:37 AM   #4
gsjack

Name :
gsjack is on a distinguished road

Never drive my Vettes during love bug seasons, especially with the Z06 being a bottom feeder.

They always stay parked in the garage till those little bastards die.

Jack

04 Z06 Z16(SOLD)
gsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2006, 12:40 AM   #5
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjack
Never drive my Vettes during love bug seasons, especially with the Z06 being a bottom feeder.

They always stay parked in the garage till those little bastards die.

Jack
Agreed
Unread 04-21-2006, 03:04 AM   #6
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

I've got a couple nests of those bastards in my back yard! I kill 'em every now and then. Tryin' to do my part.

Scott

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2006, 03:04 AM   #7
Rich Z

Here's a link I found about Lovebugs -> http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG068

Heck, I didn't realize that they aren't native to Florida.......
Unread 04-23-2006, 01:22 AM   #8
gsjack

Name :
gsjack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Here's a link I found about Lovebugs -> http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG068

Heck, I didn't realize that they aren't native to Florida.......
They were originally brought in to control other insects in the state. Sure as hell missed the boat on that call.

So after all these years now, they multiply and serve only one purpose. To splatter our windshields and cover the front end. And not to forget, that wonderful smell when you turn the A/C on after the bake on.

Jack

04 Z06 Z16(SOLD)
gsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
CREWZIN

Name :
CREWZIN is on a distinguished road

I try not to take the Vette out during the dreaded LB season also, BUT, I went on the Hot Rod Power Tour last week and the beginning event was in Kissimee just below Orlando and the LB season was just ending. I had picked up a container of REJEX after reading about it on another Vette forum and thought I'd try it out. It's a clear liquid that puts a protective coating on anything. I tried it out...and it works. The LB's that I did hit came off without any problem whatsoever. A wet tissue cleaned them up. The more coats of REJEX the more protection. Won't stop rocks but it's great for bugs. Used to sell only On-line but now they say it's carried at Ture Value Hardware stores.

http://www.e-tackle.com/rejeX.htm

87 Dark Red Metallic Coupe. L98 Auto, 143,000 smilin miles.
Black 17" Z06 Motorsport Wheels, Muffler Eliminators, "Y" pipe w/o pre-cats, K&N with open lid, TB Flow Booster, Big Mouth Performance Air Dam, Vette Connection Stage II Chip. Citrus County Corvette Club
CREWZIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 06:57 PM   #10
Rich Z

Hmm, I have Rejex and use it, but it's not a clear liquid. At least not that I remember. Dang, now I have to go take a look. Seemed to me it a beige colored creamy liquid.

And yes it does work quite well. But read the directions. You're not supposed to apply it when temps are over 85 degrees.