The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 05-30-2008, 02:54 AM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guro305 View Post
No s#!t!!!!!!! Everything I've read says it's gas mileage is not only worse but it eats your fuel lines for any car not equiped with it stock. Great huh?

Ethanol once again, is garbage!!!!!!!!! Maybe now is the time to start considering spiking the gas with pure acetone to offset the crummie ethanol!!!!
So they want to throw class action suits into the mix as well from a bunch of people having damaged fuel lines from the ethanol? If my vehicles get damaged because I am not given any choice or using it or not, much less WARNED about the side effects of using that stuff, someone other than me is going to pay for those repairs. Hey, if someone WANTS to use it, then offer it as an OPTION at the pump and more power to them. They can even add green dye to it if it gives them a warm and fuzzy using it. But DON'T cram it down MY throat if there is nothing realistically for ME to gain from using it, much less LOSING something because of it.
Unread 05-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
So they want to throw class action suits into the mix as well from a bunch of people having damaged fuel lines from the ethanol? If my vehicles get damaged because I am not given any choice or using it or not, much less WARNED about the side effects of using that stuff, someone other than me is going to pay for those repairs. Hey, if someone WANTS to use it, then offer it as an OPTION at the pump and more power to them. They can even add green dye to it if it gives them a warm and fuzzy using it. But DON'T cram it down MY throat if there is nothing realistically for ME to gain from using it, much less LOSING something because of it.
Damn right!!!!!! I told you that corn doesn't equal performance!!!!!!!! Might as well be pi$sing in our gastanks!!!

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm with ya Rich.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

10% ethanol won't hurt anything. 100% will eat plastic for lunch. I believe you'd be good to around 30%, but I think that's where is pushes the envelope of melting plastic. 10% won't hurt your gas mileage either...it's just enough to raise the octane of a lower grade & cheaper fuel. I can double check my numbers with dad if anyone is interested. He works in the petrochemical industry, mainly with Citgo (which I recommend not using).
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #15
Rich Z

Even in dilute form caustic agents will cause damage, just in smaller amounts for like periods than of a stronger mixture. And such damages are CUMULATIVE. Meaning although the damage is small, over time it will add up to BIG damage. Plastics don't HEAL after minor damage.

As an example, take a solution of 10 percent sulphuric acid and swab it on your arm every day for a year and tell me what your arm looks like a year from now.
Unread 05-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #16
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Even in dilute form caustic agents will cause damage, just in smaller amounts for like periods than of a stronger mixture

As an example, take a solution of 10 percent sulphuric acid and swab it on your arm every day for a year and tell me what your arm looks like a year from now.
Sounds like a good WART remover.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #17
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail View Post
Sounds like a good WART remover.
Definitely a good HAIR remover.........
Unread 05-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #18
Guro305
Heathen

Name :

I said it before and I'll say it again......corn, wheat and rice are for eating, not combustion!!!!!! Why is my damn sack of rice now 70% more?!

F@(king ethanol garbage!!!!!

Unread 06-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #19
silverback

Name :
silverback has disabled reputation

first of all this is kind of cool, the longest thread that I have ever started. I do not know that much about ethanol, as you can see from the title 10% methanol. I did use to drive methanol burning outboard hydroplanes, and we had the problems of it eating aluminum, fuel line, having to fog the engine with oil for it would dry out and become metal to metal, but the worst is and was that it would combine with water and become nonburnable. So is this new national fuel doing the same in our cars. Do not know but I am not happy about using it without any other choice. Also with the methanol, we burned over 3 gals for a 5 mile race, it takes more to make the same btus..
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #20
Guro305
Heathen

Name :

I don't know man, but I know that I'm noticing my 'vette feeling a tad sluggish, like when you put 87 octane in it and the gas mileage is looking ****ty.

I've barely driven it and went from a full tank to three quarters of a tank in no time. It's crap.