The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 07-15-2007, 01:15 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Subject to change without notice.

Friday Connie and I drove down to AntiVenom and dropped off the C5Z to have the new STS oil pump installed. Also needed a few other things looked at as well, mostly relating to the STS system. But I did mention to Greg that the Corvette tech at Champion Chevy told me recently that my balancer was wobbling slightly, making some noise. He said I should get it taken care of, but didn't indicate if how much borrowed time I may be living on with it. Later I looked at it myself, but darn if I could see any movement in the balancer itself or the belt. Anyway, I asked Greg if he would take a look at it.

So we dropped the car off and then followed Gannet (who stopped by to visit with us there) out some little traveled roads and eventually winding up at Anna Maria island for lunch. After Dave left us, we then took a leisurely drive down the series of islands and keys down the Gulf coast until we wound up in Venice, where we spent the night.

On Saturday, we headed on back up to Seffner, figuring we would be picking up my C5Z after Greg was finished with it, and then heading on back home.

When Greg walked in from the shop area, the look on his face told me it was not going to happen that way. Remember my mentioning that balancer problem? Well while Greg was testing out my car after working on the STS stuff, the balancer decided to just about separate itself from the crankshaft. Shredded the belts, just leaving barely half the drive belt in place so he could limp it on back to the shop. It was around O-Noon-Thirty then, so that was a job that really couldn't realistically be done then. Not when looking at about a 5 hour job. So we had to change our plans, leaving the C5Z there, and planning to run back down there next weekend to pick it up after the balancer is replaced.

Now, I have to admit, this was probably the best way it could have happened. Having the balancer come unglued while driving up 75 heading home would not have been much fun. That would mean likely getting it towed back down to Greg's, not to mention putting a real crimp in the time factor. Of course, had it let go completely, it might not have been a real pretty picture having that balancer banging around under the hood after being flung at high speed.

So if the problem HAD to manifest itself, doing it right there while at Greg's was the best I could hope for, under the circumstances. Not really keen on another trip down there so soon, but I don't make the rules that the world runs under, I guess. I suppose it is really a miracle that this didn't happen on Friday, FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH, when we were driving down there. That would not have surprised me one little bit.

And of course, my thinking I could have Connie plan a surprise birthday dinner for me next Saturday here in Tallahassee after the Cruisin Corvettes cruise in that evening will likely be up in smoke. Looks like a real good chance I will be celebrating my birthday down in Tampa instead.... Guess this turned out to be a surprise after all......
Unread 07-15-2007, 01:40 AM   #2
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road

Glad it kinda sorta all worked out for ya... someone is looking out for you

So was it a pump failure??
Unread 07-15-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Well, you're lucky in a way that it did what it did where it did it. LEt me know if there's anything I can do down this way to help out?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 08:09 AM   #4
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Rich,

I know this time of year is difficult on you guys with the worms hatching all the time, but this is the best possible outcome for you. It started to come apart while Greg from AV was driving it. Poor Greg got the initial thud in his stomach when it happened and you did not.

As for as the balancer, or pieces of the balancer bouncing around at speed, when I have seen balancers go unless they hit solid metal they typically launch right through the fenders and/or hood.

I wish we were in Florida, we could have come up from Ft. Myers to the Venice Sarasota area to meet. I am retiring on the 27th and since the house here in Fallston has not sold yet, we are going to drive down and spend 3 or 4 weeks with the Vettes. With the real estate market as slow as it is, I have decided to find out what a snow bird is like. We probably will come down and spend a month or so at a time. I guess more of a bi-monthly bird than a snow bird!

BTW, where did you have lunch on Anna Maria island? We have friends (he owns a '67 vert and a '07 vert) and they live on AM. We drive up to visit them occassionally and have had some very nice meals at restaurants right on the water.

Anyway, good luck with the balancer!

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
Rich Z

Ouch! Sounds like things could have gotten REAL ugly had that balancer decided to launch itself at high RPMs. I know I did go into boost a couple of times when I needed to pass someone, so the opportunity was certainly there. Guess I would have really pissed off someone to be passing them and launch a balancer sideways at them through a fender. They would probably have sworn I fired a shot at them. I guess things would have gotten REAL squirrely for me having all that racket going on under the hood AND losing power steering at high speed. Probably would have had a heart attack...........

I think Greg was pretty apprehensive about how I was going to take the news when we got in there. But like the title of this thread states, life is just subject to change without notice. Or the shorter, more succinct version, "sh!t happens".....
Unread 07-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Rich,
As the saying goes, "If it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all" Sorry to hear about all the sh*t hitting the fan all at once. On a lighter note, there is a car show in Plant City on saturday nite, if you are still around, try to make it, we are driving up from Bradenton, KAP142 and wife are heading over from Auburndale, and I would imagine a couple hundred cars from the area.
Too bad you were here on the 14th, with nothing to do, you could have stopped by the party at my place. Hey a phone call and you would have several vettes caravaning to pick you up.
Good luck with the harmonic balancer,
Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #7
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear of your balancer troubles Rich but I'm glad it happened when it did. Any other time would have been nasty and much more costly. As the old saying goes "When life hands you lemons, your fingers wrinkle", or something like that.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail
Rich,
As the saying goes, "If it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all" Sorry to hear about all the sh*t hitting the fan all at once. On a lighter note, there is a car show in Plant City on saturday nite, if you are still around, try to make it, we are driving up from Bradenton, KAP142 and wife are heading over from Auburndale, and I would imagine a couple hundred cars from the area.
Too bad you were here on the 14th, with nothing to do, you could have stopped by the party at my place. Hey a phone call and you would have several vettes caravaning to pick you up.
Good luck with the harmonic balancer,
Joe B.
Yeah we knew of the party, but time was pressing to get back here. This time of year is murder with my business. I was up till past 5am this morning pulling animals for a shipment going to the airport. Only got a couple hours sleep. And we're heading down to Seffner again tomorrow (Saturday). Not sure if we're spending the night down there or not. I had wanted to make the Cruisin Corvettes cruise here in Tallahassee (seemed appropriate on my Birthday), but that isn't going to happen. Wish there was more parking at AntiVenom so we could all meet up there for a bit. If we spend the night in town, maybe we could catch that Plant City cruise. Both of the vettes will be with us.......
Unread 07-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
Corvette Concepts

Name :
Corvette Concepts is on a distinguished road
Default Saturday Breakfast

Hi Rich,
Are you still planning a gathering for breakfast on Saturday? If so, I would like the info so that my son Brian and I can attend. Thanks!!

Corvette Concepts
Delco/Mongoose Performance
Corvette Ranch
Sarasota, Florida 34240
941-322-0577
Corvette Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Concepts
Hi Rich,
Are you still planning a gathering for breakfast on Saturday? If so, I would like the info so that my son Brian and I can attend. Thanks!!
??

Breakfast? Not that I know of. It's a 4.5 hour drive for us if we hightail it down there so to get there during breakfast hours would mean leaving here just about the time I normally get to bed. We're planning on taking a more scenic and interesting route that 75 has to offer, so the drive time will be longer. Not planning on getting to AntiVenom till early afternoon.

Maybe some people can meet up with us there, and depending on timing for that Plant City cruise, head on over there. Might need to get some dinner, however, somewhere along the way......

Now a breakfast on Sunday might work, if we spend the night in the area....