The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 11-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #1901
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Not too much going on lately. Haven't driven the car much.

I was quite surprised when Shane (from the Chevy dealership) called me yesterday just to check up on how my car was doing. I thought it was right nice of him to follow up.

Anyway, I told him about the noise I am hearing when I first start off out of my driveway. I believe I posted a video earlier of what I am talking about. Been meaning to see if I can duplicate the sound while the car is on the lift, but for one reason or another, just haven't gotten around to doing that.

One reason for that is because I found that the insulating convoluted tubing I put around the fuel line coming from the driver's side fuel rail to the fuel pressure regulator had burned through. The fuel line itself looks OK, but obviously that line is too close to the #7 primary header pipe. So I am planning on putting some insulating wrap around the header primary pipes (all of them) to try to reduce the heat they are pumping into the engine compartment. I may completely reroute that fuel line a little bit anyway

While I am at it, I'm planning on wrapping the entire exhaust system. Seems I have found melted plastic hear and there on the exhaust pipes since bringing the car home a year ago, so maybe it is best I just try to wrap up those hot pipes to try to keep the heat contained within them.

There is also the issue with the evap system not having a line run back to the intake vacuum that I need to see what I can do about. And there are those brackets on the STS pipes that someone bent all to hell that I need to straighten out. Maybe just plugging off the line or maybe putting a check valve in there will work well enough. At this point I just don't know enough about how that system actually works to have a firm idea on what to do about it to end that gasoline smell the car gives off.

Let's see, the upper radiator support is cracked. I fixed it once, but obviously I didn't fix it permanently.

So yeah, still some minor odds and ends left to do. At least what I know about today. I'm hoping that noise I hear is just something minor as well. First step is to identify where it is actually coming from.

Ah well, all in due time.... If I can at least recreate the noise on demand, then perhaps Shane will be able to figure it out without having to do any exploratory surgery.
Unread 11-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #1902
Rich Z

Been out of town all last week, so didn't do anything on the car, of course. But I've been thinking about it....

I've decided to replace that fuel line running from the back of the driver's side fuel rail to the fuel pressure regulator. Since the insulation I had wrapped around it got burned through TWICE now, I'm afraid that the hose itself might be compromised. Sure would make for an exciting drive if that hose were to split under 50 psi of pressure and squirt gasoline all over that hot header pipe.

So best to be safe rather than sorry.

So I've got that stuff on order from Summit, that I hope will be in by the end of the week. Some of the fittings I needed (figures that the AN fittings for the PTFE fuel lines are different from the other non-PTFE fuel line AN fittings. ) are on backorder, so that might put a delay in things.

Thing is that I believe I need to use PTFE (teflon lined) fuel line instead of the stuff I used. And I'm sure that original line from the fuel filter to the back of the passenger side fuel rail that Chris Harwood put in there is most certainly not teflon lined, neither. Apparently rubber doesn't last too long when this ethanol laced gasoline we have to deal with now is running through it.

But for now I'm just going to change out the driver's side fuel line, and the cross over line at the front of the fuel rails. That back one will have to wait, because I will need to take down the exhaust and the tunnel plate in order to get that old fuel line out of there. With there still being a noise coming from somewhere, likely the drivetrain, I just know if I do this now, whatever is making that noise will turn out meaning the drivetrain needs to be pulled out again, and I can do that fuel line at that time. No sense wasting my time now with it and only have to pull the stuff out again anyway. Hopefully that won't be the case, but I'm pretty familiar with Murphy's Law by now.

But I do want to wrap insulation around those primary header pipes to keep all that heat from impacting everything around them in the engine bay. That Taylor fuel line insulating covering I used was supposed to be able to withstand 1,000 degrees, so yeah, it's darn hot near those tubes.

So hopefully I can get that done over the next several days so I will feel somewhat comfortable about driving the car again to try to figure out that noise I've mentioned. Shane has offered to help me out with it, so hopefully it will turn out to be something trivial. Yeah, fat chance that I will be so lucky........
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #1903
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

I would advise you to wrap the side where the starter is mounted also, I went through a starter a year when I had my 71 Z/28!
Unread 11-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #1904
Rich Z

Yeah, I'm going to be wrapping all of the header primary tubes. Probably will wind up wrapping up EVERYTHING in the exhaust system before I'm done. Including covers for the turbos.

Getting that starter out would be a real chore to do with the headers, so I certainly don't want to do that very frequently. Shane told me the header bolt holes in the heads got pretty buggered up before he got the car, so I don't want to have to remove those headers any more than is absolutely necessary. Otherwise I'm going to have to wind up pulling the heads to get those header bolt holes fixed.
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #1905
Rich Z

Well, I just couldn't work up enough enthusiasm today to start tackling those header primary tube insulating sleeves. So I decided to do something easier and not waste the whole darn day getting nothing done on the car.

The easiest thing I could think of to do today was to put some turbo jackets on my two turbos instead. I had to just guess at what size jackets I needed when I ordered them, since I really don't have much of a handle yet about this turbo terminology and specifications. But apparently the T3 jackets I got were perfect and just what I needed.

They probably won't do much for the turbos themselves until the rest of the exhaust is covered, but at least the heat from them won't be percolating up into the trunk area as much.

These turbo covers came from PTP Turbo Blankets.
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #1906
Rich Z

Well, I guess I know why teflon fuel lines weren't put in my car by Chris Harwood. Besides the fact that they cost more than the rubber hose lined ones. They are a bit more difficult to install ends on.

But quite frankly I think the benefits are well worth the additional expense and increased trouble creating them.

I plan on replacing that long run of hose from the fuel filter to the passenger side fuel rail as soon as I can. But for now, I'm only doing the two hoses up front in the engine bay. As soon as the backordered fittings come in, that is.
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #1907
Rich Z

Started working on putting those insulating sleeves on the header primary pipes. Starting with the driver's side first, on number 7 cylinder, since that one looks like it will be the biggest pain in the butt to work on. Pulled off all the ignition stuff on that side to make it easier to work there. I've ALMOST got that primary pipe done, after fussing with it for hours, trying to figure out the best way to do this. Apparently there is NO best way. It's just a pain in the butt. Hopefully the rest of the tubes will be easier to do.

I've got the fuel line disconnected running from the rear of the driver's side fuel rail to the fuel pressure regulator at the regulator end, and will remove the hose completely tomorrow. It's going to be replaced anyway, and it will make things even easier to get at that number 7 cylinder exhaust tube.

The darn stuff that sleeving is made out of makes my hands itch like crazy. Tried to use latex gloves, but most of this kind of stuff needs to be done by braille, so I had to remove them so I could feel what the heck I was doing.

It's a pain in the neck. Literally!
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #1908
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
The darn stuff that sleeving is made out of makes my hands itch like crazy. Tried to use latex gloves, but most of this kind of stuff needs to be done by braille, so I had to remove them so I could feel what the heck I was doing.

It's a pain in the neck. Literally!
if it is the wrap like what I am thinking, it is fiberglass. Are you soaking the wrap in water? I know the directions that came with mine said to soak in water, this allowed it to stretch a bit and when it dries it conforms tightly to the curves and whatnot.

if you are using it dry, that is why you itch, soaking it in water will make the fibers less sticky....

I am thinking of this stuff.
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #1909
Rich Z

No, I'm using something different.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010115

The install instructions didn't say anything about wetting the stuff down during application. I'm not sure if it would make this better or worse. The install instructions actually indicate using an odd sort of clamp to hold together the sides where they overlap, but they look like they would be a ROYAL pain in the ass to try to work with. I bought a bunch of 8 inch stainless steel wire ties and am going to use them instead. I found a REAL good deal on a 100 lot of them.

I've got several rolls of the 2 inch wide header wrap stuff like you show in your pic, but that would be pretty darn tough to use while the headers are on the engine, I would think. But then again, maybe it wouldn't be a worse pain in the neck, only a DIFFERENT pain in the neck. Just seems to me trying to roll that two inch wide wrap round and round the primary tubes would be rather difficult, and quite likely enough to push me over the edge of sanity. With this stuff I am using, it is 8 inches wide, so I just cut it to length and then wrap it longwise. Sounds easier than it actually is to do, however, since it's pretty darn tight in there. I've had to move the car up and down on the lift many times as I tried to get at it from both the top and the underside. I can say that I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to pay someone by the hour to do this.

I think the way this is going to have to work is that I will run a single wrap down each primary tube and then likely have to wrap whatever is left of this stuff around ALL four pipes when they are close to the collector. The pipes are just too close together to get those sleeves down all of them all of the way. It was tough enough just getting this wrap around that one #7 primary tube, and there is just no way another layer will go all the way down around the tube next to it. Some of those primary tubes are just about touching together in some places.

But heck, I've got as long as I need to do it, so if it takes me all day to do each primary tube, then so be it. I just hope it doesn't look like crap when I get finished. I'm going to try to do my best not to have it look too bad, but you know how that goes sometimes. Tedium can overwhelm you sometimes.

I wish someone made a very high temp convoluted tubing sort of wrap that was split lengthwise that I could just slide down each primary tube from the top as far as they would go. That would probably be the easiest way to do this, I guess. I looked online but couldn't find anything that looked like what I wanted. Surely I can't be the first person in the world to want something like this?
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #1910
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
No, I'm using something different.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010115

The install instructions didn't say anything about wetting the stuff down during application. I'm not sure if it would make this better or worse. The install instructions actually indicate using an odd sort of clamp to hold together the sides where they overlap, but they look like they would be a ROYAL pain in the ass to try to work with. I bought a bunch of 8 inch stainless steel wire ties and am going to use them instead. I found a REAL good deal on a 100 lot of them.

I've got several rolls of the 2 inch wide header wrap stuff like you show in your pic, but that would be pretty darn tough to use while the headers are on the engine, I would think. But then again, maybe it wouldn't be a worse pain in the neck, only a DIFFERENT pain in the neck. Just seems to me trying to roll that two inch wide wrap round and round the primary tubes would be rather difficult, and quite likely enough to push me over the edge of sanity. With this stuff I am using, it is 8 inches wide, so I just cut it to length and then wrap it longwise. Sounds easier than it actually is to do, however, since it's pretty darn tight in there. I've had to move the car up and down on the lift many times as I tried to get at it from both the top and the underside. I can say that I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to pay someone by the hour to do this.

I think the way this is going to have to work is that I will run a single wrap down each primary tube and then likely have to wrap whatever is left of this stuff around ALL four pipes when they are close to the collector. The pipes are just too close together to get those sleeves down all of them all of the way. It was tough enough just getting this wrap around that one #7 primary tube, and there is just no way another layer will go all the way down around the tube next to it. Some of those primary tubes are just about touching together in some places.

But heck, I've got as long as I need to do it, so if it takes me all day to do each primary tube, then so be it. I just hope it doesn't look like crap when I get finished. I'm going to try to do my best not to have it look too bad, but you know how that goes sometimes. Tedium can overwhelm you sometimes.

I wish someone made a very high temp convoluted tubing sort of wrap that was split lengthwise that I could just slide down each primary tube from the top as far as they would go. That would probably be the easiest way to do this, I guess. I looked online but couldn't find anything that looked like what I wanted. Surely I can't be the first person in the world to want something like this?
interesting stuff there, I found the SS wire ties to be useless when doing my motorcycle and Diesel manifold and down pipe. I just used a SS worm clamp like most people use on a radiator hose. I painted mine with the ceramic high temp paint specifically for that stuff and the hose clamps blended right on in.... I bet that wetting it would make it easier to handle and wouldn't hurt a thing. it will dry out when you idle the car, it'll steam for a few minutes and then you're done.

this is the instructions for the stuff I used
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...%20&%20113.pdf

number 2 says "A popular method of wrapping is to soak the roll of wrap prior to installation so that it is made more pliable to allow for a tighter wrap."

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports