The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 04-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
kip younger

Name :
kip younger has disabled reputation
Default center tri carb won't idle...

I'm putting tri power on a sbc 350 - got the first and third carb openings on the intake sealed off - only the center carb on the car. Just rebuilt the engine and put it together with a mild cam. The car will start and idle ONLY with the choke blade partially closed. If the blade opens completely, allowing full air flow into the funnel, the car shuts down immediately. My guess is too much air??? Not enough gas??? Wrong ratio??? There are no known vacuum leaks. I have backed the idle screws both out about 4 turns... hoping to get as much fuel as possible into the carb. How can I get the car to run on this 2 barrel? thanks - kip

this is a rochester carb with vacuum operated choke - thanks
kip younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Use a can of carb cleaner and spray around the base of the carb and the openings you have sealed, along with where the intake bolts to the heads. It sounds like you may indeed have a vacuum leak somewhere.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
kip younger

Name :

I'll give that a shot. I have sealed of the othe two carb places, but will check them and around the carb thats on the car too, and the intake bolts - thanks - kip
Unread 05-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
ANNICORVETTE

Name :
ANNICORVETTE has disabled reputation

I am considering the BG tri power for my 1969 do you know how much rise above the stock 350 hood i will need to clear the breather?
ANNICORVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
kip younger

Name :

Mine came with an "LT high rise" hood on it, and the front carb's air breather just touched the underside of the hood. We cut the air cleaner in half, so the air cleaner cover would set lower, and the hood was fine. I've seen these on vettes with regular hoods on them, and all the air cleaner covers were lowered, and obviously must have worked ok. Good luck - kip
Unread 05-01-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
kip younger

Name :
Smile

Sprayed carb cleaner around the area where the intake and heads come together, and there is a major leak on both sides of the engine. We did not use a sealant on the sides of the intake, only the gasket, and did use sealant and the rubber pieces for the front and rear. Will remove both of them, and use only sealant and I guess put sealant on the sides too, and see what happens. thanks for the info - kip