The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 04-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Guno89, We need more details please. No offense but I see your a new member. You have 4 posts to your name and you come to a Corvette site looking for avice on a Criminal Ticket. I understand that you own a Vette too, but the resorces you have chosen seem suspicious to me.

I also have a problem with the story itself. Any motor officer you meet has been on the job awhile. They do not make rookies motor officers so I would venture to say that the poor interpretation of the law (ie 3-4 mph running a stop sign) turning into a reckless driving (a willfull and wanton disregard for the life safety and property of others) not sounding right. The statute book is very thick, and there are some statutes that can fit different offenses, but this seems overboard. I also know that motor officers know that traffic statute section by memory, and don't make simple mistakes like that. The motor guys can be VERY dry on humor if they have any at all, but they also know traffic statutes very well.

Until we hear more I'm calling BS on this one. Either this is a poke at police with a mostly false story or it's an April Fool joke since the original post is 04/01/08.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #12
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking Did we get Duped?

Some good points Rocket!!!
JIM

Last edited by JIM KILL; 05-07-2008 at 08:03 AM.
JIM KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #13
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Excellent point Rocket

We didn't make rookies motor officers, but sometimes we sure had our share of 'tards

We really need to screen the applicants better all the way around.

But you're right. Our junior motor officer when I was there had at least 10 years on except our "token" female (don't get bent over that comment-she really was). She went through motor school (barely) rode maybe a month, and got reassigned to training

After that, the only time we saw her was when the sheriff needed a female presence.

Quote:
...I would venture to say that the poor interpretation of the law (ie 3-4 mph running a stop sign) turning into a reckless driving (a willfull and wanton disregard for the life safety and property of others) not sounding right

Quote:
The statute book is very thick, and there are some statutes that can fit different offenses, but this seems overboard. I also know that motor officers know that traffic statute section by memory, and don't make simple mistakes like that. The motor guys can be VERY dry on humor if they have any at all, but they also know traffic statutes very well.
again

Quote:
...Either this is a poke at police with a mostly false story or it's an April Fool joke since the original post is 04/01/08.
You know, I've never gotten into this whole April Fools mess

You might just have a point

Want to give us more details?

Feel free to PM me or rocket the officers name or the citation control number
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
guno89

Name :
guno89 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Rocket View Post
Guno89, We need more details please. No offense but I see your a new member. You have 4 posts to your name and you come to a Corvette site looking for avice on a Criminal Ticket. I understand that you own a Vette too, but the resorces you have chosen seem suspicious to me.

I also have a problem with the story itself. Any motor officer you meet has been on the job awhile. They do not make rookies motor officers so I would venture to say that the poor interpretation of the law (ie 3-4 mph running a stop sign) turning into a reckless driving (a willfull and wanton disregard for the life safety and property of others) not sounding right. The statute book is very thick, and there are some statutes that can fit different offenses, but this seems overboard. I also know that motor officers know that traffic statute section by memory, and don't make simple mistakes like that. The motor guys can be VERY dry on humor if they have any at all, but they also know traffic statutes very well.

Until we hear more I'm calling BS on this one. Either this is a poke at police with a mostly false story or it's an April Fool joke since the original post is 04/01/08.
I wish it was a joke, and I only posted here cause I saw this section after I signed up since I was looking for some one to detail my car. Witch I did find and use.

The officer gave me crap cause I had NY plates. I have a very relaxed/whatever I don't give a **** attitude. I knew I was getting a ticket, I didn't kiss his ass i didn't yes sir yes officer him. He didn't even bring up the car behind me disregard for property until he came back to my car after he took my license registration and insurance. Thats when he says i'm citing you for reckless driving. I will go to court no biggie.
guno89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #15
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by guno89 View Post
I wish it was a joke, and I only posted here cause I saw this section after I signed up since I was looking for some one to detail my car. Witch I did find and use.

The officer gave me crap cause I had NY plates. I have a very relaxed/whatever I don't give a **** attitude. I knew I was getting a ticket, I didn't kiss his ass i didn't yes sir yes officer him. He didn't even bring up the car behind me disregard for property until he came back to my car after he took my license registration and insurance. Thats when he says i'm citing you for reckless driving. I will go to court no biggie.
If what you're saying is correct and complete, you'll likely win. There's NO RECKLESS BEHAVIOR in your actions as you describe them.

The judge could reduce it to careless (still not the correct charge) or correctly amend it to the proper violation of failure to obey a traffic control device.

Let us know what happens.
Unread 04-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #16
guno89

Name :
guno89 has disabled reputation

I went to court, the judge offered me no points $300 fine. Obviously i was pissed I knew I was going to pay. I seriously thought about not taking it. I just don't want to go back to court. Good thing for the free $$$$ the gov is giving us. Half mine has been spent...
guno89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 08:29 PM   #17
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by guno89 View Post
I went to court, the judge offered me no points $300 fine. Obviously i was pissed I knew I was going to pay. I seriously thought about not taking it. I just don't want to go back to court. Good thing for the free $$$$ the gov is giving us. Half mine has been spent...
So, you got a withold, no point and a fine, right?

It's unfortunate that we've come to this in our system of jurisprudence It's lets make a deal time, or better yet, EXTORTION time! Take what I'm offering (that way all the agencies get thier piece of the pie, or come back and take your chances...fat chance unless you lawyer up.

Gotta fill those county coffers somehow
Unread 04-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #18
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

That sucks,hope it works out in the end.
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 09:20 PM   #19
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

The shame of it all is that such incidents force people to lose respect for those people wearing the badge and entrusted with enforcing the law. When laws are made solely to generate income for the state, and the people hired to enforce those laws do so basically as hired mercenaries, what will there be to respect? LEOs will simply become a class of people to avoid at all costs, because you know they will be evaluating YOU as their next victim to shake down for revenue.

Unread 04-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #20
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Just to put these kind of incidents in perspective, first off, not all LEO's are like this. The old saying, "bad news travels fast", often applies here. The guy that gets an undeserved ticket is going to tell twice as many friends about it as the guy that got caught speeding but was let off with a warning. You (the public) always hear about the bad stuff cops get caught doing, and I realize that these things do happen, but that is from a small percentage of LEO's. The reasons behind the bad behavior vary. Bad day at work, little or no sleep, divorce, or just someone who never should have been a LEO to begin with. I'm not making excuses for these people, but these, and other things do factor in occasionaly. Please don't judge all LEO's by the behavior exemplified by the few who choose to misuse their position of authority.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote