The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 08-23-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
flrnr1985

Name :
flrnr1985 has disabled reputation
Default buying help for a 86 vette

i have a chance to get a red coupe targa top 80,000 mile blck interior 4/2-4 o/d manual cheap. but if its nothing but maintenance headaches i dont want it. what are the issues for an 20 something yearold car/86, and pros and cons to this make n model. i realy need some input. i do a ride n drive 08/22/08 this monday, aug,
thanks guys n gals,
drew

flrnr1985@hotmail.com please email me also.
flrnr1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

It all depends?

The biggest thing is, how the original owner(s) maintained it?

If they took care of it and drove it, shoud be ok. If it was a garage queen (80k is not a lot of miles for an 86), then you're likely going to be putting some $$$ into it in the form of hoses, wiring, and miscl. parts that deteriorate.

Pros:

1-(Depending on the price) no car payments.
2-Old school vette body. No mistaking the C4 for anything else
3-Relatively cheap to keep and gets decent fuel economy.
4-Better "feel" according to some. It wraps itself around you when you enter.

Cons:

1-It wraps itself around you when you enter More difficult to enter and exit than a C5 or C6.
2-Old school car. The $$ you save with the lack of payments might end up being spent on service and repairs.
3-Rougher ride. Not as civilized as the C5/6's. more "in touch" with the road according to most peoples comments.
5-More difficult to find parts and, being the bastard stepchild of the Corvette community, no one wants to make aftermarket or custom parts for them

The C4 can be a blast

They're good looking cars, but again, they're 20+ years old. they have squeaks, they tend to leak (a little to a lot), are rougher riding and less civilized. They can be made STRONG by building on the basic engine or transplanting an LS motor as many have.

I have an 87 (for sale) that runs like a charm, doesn't give me problems, and is dependable.

Since it's paid for, if I wanted to mod it, I wouldn't have to worry about voiding warranties, or screwing up an expensive car.

It all depends on what you want?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

The Shadow knows.My wife had an 87 and she loved it .The fellow who now owns it has it up to about 160,000 miles and no major problems .The c-4's feel solid and heavy compared to c3's.

If ya buy it right ,how much can you loose?
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
vette653

Name :
vette653 is on a distinguished road

I love my 86 but I love Vettes so I'd probably be telling you this no matter what year I had. Mines not my DD and it is more of a hobby than anything else I like repairing it and updating so I have spent a lot of time on replacing parts and maintenance. Make sure you get to start it cold and watch for smoke out the tailpipe, valve seals are a common problem. Check weather strips which are a pain to replace, make sure that manual trans operates right..not a good track record. The cars 22 years old so I would expect to have to spend some time on maintenance, if your too busy or not handy then I'd say forget it. JMHO Good luck..let us know
vette653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
vettejack

Name : Jack Legere
vettejack is on a distinguished road
Default Buy this instead!!

You don't want that red coupe...now do ya!

Buy this 1987 Convertible...approx 64k miles! And for you, and only for today...$9750 smackaroos!!

I own it...and its' titled in my name...disease and drug free!

Not that I'm trying to sound like a commercial or anything...........
Attached Images

vettejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Just know going in that any 20+ year old car is going to need some maintenance work from time to time. I am fond of the C-4's, probably because I worked for a Chevrolet dealer in the mid eighties, and the 1985 Vette with it's Tuned Port Injection was the most awesome car of the time. Mine needs lots of replacement parts, (weatherstripping, interior plastic, etc.), but I'm slowly accumulating them as my budget permits.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote