The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road in Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road in Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences in Florida

Unread 12-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Route 98 - Perry to Apalachicola

Beware driving this stretch of road. There is some sort of construction project going on whereby LOTS of dump trucks carry rocks are traversing this stretch of road, often at high speed, and in MANY cases throwing these rocks out the back. I have some new dings on the hood to show for being behind one of these trucks. And a BIG ding on my passenger side headlight cover from a rock that I saw coming, but couldn't avoid. If you pay attention, you'll see rocks laying alongside the road that are VERY large and would cause some major damage if they were to impact your vehicle at normal driving speeds. These truck drivers are driving often in excess of 70 mph, so those rocks will have a lot of energy if they hit you. If you are going one way and a rock from a truck going the opposite direction hits you, it's going to HURT your car.

If you are going to drive this stretch of road, I would suggest doing so after normal working hours have ceased and the trucks have quit for the day.

FYI......
Unread 12-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Rich,

You should contact the governing jurisdiction for that road be it County or State and file claim/complaint. If trucking complany is in the wrong (overfilling or speeding) , they are responsible for this type of damage. Just be persistent...
Unread 12-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by als2052 View Post
Rich,

You should contact the governing jurisdiction for that road be it County or State and file claim/complaint. If trucking complany is in the wrong (overfilling or speeding) , they are responsible for this type of damage. Just be persistent...
I'm sure they would want some kind of proof. Truck number or something like that. It happened a while ago and I am only now getting around to remembering to post this.
Unread 12-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Per my experience in the highway construction field, if you ever sustain any damage be it in a work zone, at the hands of careless truck drivers or other heavy equipment operators, document as much as you can, get police report, take lots of pictures, get repair estimate and submit to governing body (city, state, county, etc.) and be persistant. The majority of time, you will prevail and get reimbursed...
Unread 12-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
Rebekah7155

Name :
Rebekah7155 will become famous soon enough

I hope they're finished by Saturday when we make our trip up to the redneck riviera!
Rebekah7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Rich Z

I don't think they run the trucks on Saturday, but that's only a guess on my part. If you do see a dump truck in front of you, put a LOT of space between it and you, just to be safe.

An alternate route would be route 27 north out of Perry, then catch route 20 west in Tallahassee. Once you are on 98 coming out of Perry, you are pretty much committed to stay on that road.
Unread 12-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
4speed
Tampa Bay Posse

Name :
4speed has disabled reputation
Angry

Rich,
These truckers that you are talking about have taken a toll on my car too. I picked my C6 up January 15th, 2005, by july of that year I needed a new windshield. I have over 25 chips,( I stopped counting ), in my windshield and a few on the body. A bra helps some, but not with the glass. I think some of the truckers do it on purpose, they get a laugh out of it. Sick isn't it! I'm just waiting for the big one so I can get my windshield replaced.
4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #8
Rebekah7155

Name :
Rebekah7155 will become famous soon enough

we'll be driving our truck because we're bringing the kids and the dogs but I don't want it dinged up either!
Glad they don't work on Sat
Rebekah7155 is offline   Reply With Quote