The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > The Ranting Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

The Ranting Room Got a gripe about life? Want to sound off about the unfairness of the universe? Does something just REALLY piss you off? Well, come on in and talk about it!

Unread 06-08-2008, 12:31 AM   #11
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

I'm guilty as well. I don't start a lot of threads, only respond to most.

Time to start posting more I think
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 12:41 AM   #12
Yellow

Name :
Yellow is on a distinguished road

Simple this forum does not move!
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 01:07 AM   #13
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
Well, it's certainly a catch-22 kind of a situation.

Most people want to post where there is a lot of traffic, but don't WANT to try to be that traffic for other members by making the effort to participate by initiating threads or trying to get more heavily involved. So since they don't see others making the effort, they don't bother making the effort themselves, apparently feeling that they need to see that traffic FIRST before they want to become more involved.

And let's face it, this site has a rather narrow focus geographically and is rather new on the scene, so to compare this site with an internationally known forum that has been around much longer is really not a reasonable means to make comparisons.

But in any event, any suggestions on how to make things better here concerning participation? How do you suggest we get participation in order to attract participation?
Unread 06-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #14
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

I have also noticed the same lack of activity. I check in here a couple times a day and to be honest, have not seen much that I would typically respond to. This time of year there is not much happening on the SW side. I do agree with Rick, with the economy in the dumper, you would think there would be more people staying home and therefore, on the 'puter. But, I am sure it will pick up in time.

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #15
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
...and...?

Then HELP it move!

It's not going to do it on it's own

You made the statement, now offer up some solutions/suggestions.

See, as we all know, it takes INPUT to make a forum move. That INPUT isn't generated by watchers.

Before loading up that next rock, take a look at your own stats:

Over 761 days on board and 421 posts? And a good portion of those were made early on.

Care to share the stats from some other sites you visit? I'd venture to guess that elsewhere your post count is likely up in the stratosphere?

I know my "stars" were almost completely full in just a few years.

There's a lot going on in FLORIDA. Shows, events, cruises, parties, gatherings, etc, etc, etc, but if no one posts the information and no one posts about them, nothing's going to happen.

Bostons last Tuesday?
What happened there?
Never saw a word about it on here?

Why?

As Rich said, this forum has a much narrower focus than just the general Corvette community

It's specific to the FLORIDA owners and as such, could be a much greater resource than just about any general "section" on any of the major forums. You don't have to search for it, you don't have to sift through everything from Florida to South Carolina, and many of us are truly local to one another

I frequent the following INTERNATIONAL forums:

www.corvetteinternational.com
www.Corvette-Guru.com
www.Smokinvette.com
www.DigitalCorvettes.com
www.corvetteforums.com (not to be confused with the other one)
www.Corvetteactioncenter.com
and on occasion:
www.CorvetteValley.com

Yet my post count is farily well up there on here and growing in other places (haven't been there a long, but I do post).
I don't thrive on post counts and really couldn't tell you what mine is or was at any particular place. I post because I enjoy the interaction.

As we can see from this, there's room on the internet for everyone. Some places just haven't caught on to that concept or are too worried about the almighty dollar $$$ to embrace it It obviously works for them and so be it.

This is a great place for FLORIDA CORVETTE OWNERS to meet

Although each of the aforementioned sites have thier forte', none of them provide me with the local input I recieve here

None of them provide me with the friendships I've made herenor do they provide me with the ability to actually meet many of the members through out the year.

Even the formerly HUGE CorvetteForum failed in that regard. I had to keep checking back into the section, missed a lot of posts or got them late as a result, and in the end game although I had a lot of aquintances, I only had a handful of true friends on that site (as evidenced later)

The averages are much better here but we need the people to start posting, responding to the threads and begin starting new ones

You'll find here that even though we may disagree, there's little if any "moderation", "editing", "locking" or any of the other free speech issues you'll find on some sites. There is some as we recently saw, but not nearly as much Maybe thats a bad thing? Maybe it's a good thing? Time will tell.

What we're NOT is a COMMERCIAL SITE . As such we don't rely on sponsors or vendors to stay up and running.

So...if you don't think the site "moves"...then stop complaining and help do something about it

Try being part of the solution and POST MORE

Otherwise, comments like that are simply counterproductive and obviously not intent on making a site productive

Thanks.
Unread 06-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #16
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Rick View Post
I've even notice myself going to Corvette Forum more and even posting there .
Wow, just as a come out and mention something somewhat good about that other place, the members jump up and act like a** holes again. I guess I won't be going back there as often
Unread 06-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #17
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

well...not that anyone here gives a f*** about my opinion but when you narrow your scope of membership to one state and sponsor no events and have few supporting vendors whats to bring anyone here??? Since you don't want to run it as a business and like the small scale thats what you got. There are other small forums that have alot of activity but they sponsor/hold events and have vendors.
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #18
pewter99
This place cracks me up

Name :
pewter99 is on a distinguished road

as for mentions of Corvette forum and individuals problems there I won't address that here. That ship has sailed yet some people are still on the dock complaining.

I think your time would be better served promoting Corvette Florida rather than promoting every other site you visit and bitching about the ones you hate.

But WTF do I know
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #19
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427 View Post
I have also noticed the same lack of activity. I check in here a couple times a day and to be honest, have not seen much that I would typically respond to. This time of year there is not much happening on the SW side. I do agree with Rick, with the economy in the dumper, you would think there would be more people staying home and therefore, on the 'puter. But, I am sure it will pick up in time.

Rich
It will Rich

I'm in front of the 'puter too much with my business so it allows me a little more freedom to play. We just need more people like yourself, Rick, and the others that are willing to spread the word to other FLORIDAIANS that we're not here to replace anything, just an added benefit of LOCAL input to LOCAL events by LOCAL vette owners

If we can get the word out and generate some interesting topics, then the place will pick up
Unread 06-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #20
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

I really enjoy the big Corvette forum! I never had any problems with any of the mods over there, thete is always something to talk about and lots of action.

Just agree to follow the forum rules and all will be fine.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote