The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 12-16-2006, 12:19 AM   #1
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough
Default somebody needs to get..well.....

Saw this on "another forum." won't mention the name or the mod, but dayum!!!

sure glad we're more laid back here...

Freeposting isn’t allowed at ************.***. Moderators will use their best judgment in identifying freeposters, but the judgments will by necessity be subjective.

...blah blah blah....

There may be times when a Forum member becomes so annoying to fellow Forum members and/or moderators -- even without specifically violating any Forum rules/guidelines, that the appropriate remedy is just to deny service to them.

Wow!!! wonder if this applies to obnoxious mods too???lmao:

Sure is nice here....
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 01:14 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

What exactly do they mean by "freeposters"? Been doing message boards for a LONG time, but have never used that phrase myself to describe any members on it.....
Unread 12-16-2006, 04:23 AM   #3
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

The day may well come when CorvetteFlorida.com gets so big that they have to deal with issues like this. Everything's fine while you don't have jerks hanging around, but when they arrive you have to do something or they will run the good people off. This is especially true of forums that attract a fair number of young men with testosterone overloads. It's inevitable that when a place gets as big as that one is, you have to have cops.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
Shadow

Name :

Unfortunately, Gannet's right although it's not just the "big" boards that sometimes need policing.

Another board I mod for, a statewide F-body organization, recently had a group of just what you mentioned...testosterone overloaded, simple minded types (male and female) that thought filling up the board with BS was the way to promote traffic and membership???

I moved the entire thread to the "lounge" to keep it out of the public eye (it really was rediculous and ran off a few potential users because of the juvenile content )), but left it alone and intact.
You'd have thought the world came to an end!!! People bitching about censorship (remember, it was left intact) and thier "rights" (uh, it's a private board ) and such rediculous nonsense.

This was a recurring problem with just this one group of people and we (as a club and directors of the organization) ended up having to take more severe action.

Rich,

Free posting is simply a term for something posted with no other reason than to increase post count or to make the board look like it has more traffic.

Like posting a with no commentary while not responding to another post. It's childish in some cases, but totally harmless Sometimes, it actually leads to a more serious discussion

My intent with this post was to vent. I've been a member of the "other board" since (IIRC?) 1999 and am a lifetime supporting member. I like it, it has some great people there, and of course, being an international board, I've met new friends from all over the world

Unfortunately, in the last year or so, there seems to be one person there thats just gottne lock and ban happy (or crazy-your chioice?) (and it's not the person that posted that comment I quoted in part).

There is no such thing as a dialog with some of the mods there, no discussion and even though it says you can pm or email them to discuss a matter, good luck It usually results in a kurt response if any and an I don't need a reason attitude.

God forbid you ask an admin! I did that once and a MONTH later got a response that was less than adaquate. I've never had that happen here.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no control for the mods either. At least police have the public and internal affairs to answer to

And if someone asks (publicly) why something was done....you're likely to find yourself in "BANNED CAMP" (band camp) for doing so

I don't know the whole story between the particular poster and the mod that locked his thread and made the comment stated, but the thread starter is a loooonngg time member with beaucoup posts to his credit

I do know that he (the thread starter) made several posts "messing" (in a harmless-joking kind of way) with the mod. So what? What does it hurt? He wasn't threatening or abusive and the mod (or anyone else for that matter) could have just read past them.

The whole thing just kind of hit me wrong and I knew I could vent here without retribution
Unread 12-16-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Home Sa WeeeeeeeeT Home!

This is Home!:thumbsup.

IMHO...There seems to some A lot of Crotchety Vette owners "over there".
It seems like there's always someone bitching something, usually about a topic that's been posted before several times or someones Grammar.
Like they can't just blow on by a Thread that bothers them, they'd rather go inside and post rude obnoxious crap, directed towards the thread poster.

Then some of the "Moderators" who are supposed to keep an objective eye on things, allow certain "privileged" members (can you say Clique) to Either post their Sarcastic BS, or Fuel the Fire by Slamming their ASS right along with the rest of them!

All the while... the innocent guy that posted the original thread, feels like he was A$$ Raped by his supposed "Vette Brothers" thinking, I'd at least like to be kissed while being Screwed!
Seems like there's a lot of people who've forgotten what these forums are Supposed to be all about! ( NOT INCLUDING THIS FORUM )

I DUNNO..

~RAY
Unread 12-16-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad
This is Home!:thumbsup.

IMHO...There seems to some A lot of Crotchety Vette owners "over there".
It seems like there's always someone bitching something, usually about a topic that's been posted before several times or someones Grammar.
Like they can't just blow on by a Thread that bothers them, they'd rather go inside and post rude obnoxious crap, directed towards the thread poster.

Then some of the "Moderators" who are supposed to keep an objective eye on things, allow certain "privileged" members (can you say Clique) to Either post their Sarcastic BS, or Fuel the Fire by Slamming their ASS right along with the rest of them!

All the while... the innocent guy that posted the original thread, feels like he was A$$ Raped by his supposed "Vette Brothers" thinking, I'd at least like to be kissed while being Screwed!
Seems like there's a lot of people who've forgotten what these forums are Supposed to be all about! ( NOT INCLUDING THIS FORUM )

I DUNNO..

~RAY
Yep!

The other one has it's place. International comaraderie and tons of information, but we'll get there eventually

This is just so laid back that it's more fun

I hope we never get otherwise
Unread 12-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well I do run a larger forum (actually a couple) and have had my ups and downs with them. And yes, the more members you have participating the more likely conflicts will arise. I think I have tried every method on the books in how to deal with them, and seen what will work and what won't. And I am still trying things just to see what the results will be, in some cases.

But as a general rule, my policy is to be excessively lenient until excessively provoked. I hate to lock threads, simply because my feeling is that the person locking the thread is telling everyone else, "Shut up. I don't want you talking about this any longer." And afterall, these are discussion sites, and that is what forums are for.

Banning is extreme and should be used very cautiously. It engenders resentment along with an everlasting scar. A member banned will always carry a grudge about it, even if deeply concealed. It's like calling someone a "liar" to their face. Even though you both know he actually is a liar, in the "liar's" eyes, you have now become a bad guy. Just the way it works in human personalities I guess.

So locked threads and banning HERE will be as a completely last resort. And it likely will not take place until most of the members feel it is due and vocalize that opinion strenuously.

And for the record, I have seen MANY sites basically decimated by one or more bad moderators. For some reason this will go to their heads and they get inflicted with a God complex. All a site needs is to have someone like that going around banning members at a drop of a hat, and closing threads based on a petty whim, and you have a lot of pissed off members looking for a better place to hang out. So any admin seeing the need to add on moderators needs to be damned careful about that process. It is very appealing to offer moderatorships to people as a "thank you" for their support or to even try to use them to help promote activity on the site. But it is without a doubt a double edged sword that you need to be very careful about how you handle it.

Anyway, I am always open to suggestions and complaints. I won't always be able to do anything about them, but I will always give them serious consideration. My request to you all, please, is to not give me a suggestion or complaint that you are not willing to accept that I may need to reject for reasons that are not apparent to you. While certainly nearly everything will be possible, not everything is practical nor prudent to do.

Achh, I'm rambling..... Better be getting along before I make a novel out of this reply.

Thanks everyone.... I hope WE can make this one of the best sites on the planet. I don't care about BIGGEST at all......
Unread 12-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #8
Shadow

Name :

Hell YEah!!!!

(sorry...just had a rum & coke)
Unread 12-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #9
Mekanic
Injector Guy

Name :
Mekanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Hell YEah!!!!

(sorry...just had a rum & coke)
it better had been Bacardi!

OH, I understand the term "free posting" now. every where I have been, and every forum I have ran we called it "post whoring"

I ran a few large paintball forums for a while. And in all of them, I was the only moderator for ALL the forums, for at least 6 months to a year before I decided who would make a good mod.

And I have taken away many moderator privileges from people. They may be a great mod for a couple months, but once the "God Complex" kicks in, its time for you to go back to being a regular user.

I ran all my sites the same way you run this one Rich, and for keeping people happy, and discussions lively, it is indeed the best way. But I feel that once the ACTIVE user count comes up some more, you may need more backup.

I was doing okay being the sole mod on my sites with 2k+ users, until the activity level rose exponentially, (read 15k page views a day) Then I had to scramble to find more good mods. And it went well for a while, till the "God Complex" kicked in on a lot of them, and I had to start being the mod mod, and mod the forums while modding the mods, and a tear occurred in the time space continuum and my fingernails fell off (that'll see who is still reading this )

Between all the forums I've been on (probably 50) I've been a mod for at least 10, owned 2, and I'd assume I have close to 100k posts between them. So saying from experience, this site is fantastically laid out (I hate a forum with bright color schemes, hurts the eyes, makes people leave too soon) , and the administration of it is second to none, conflicts aren't closed just because they are conflicts, people arent banned unless for extreme cases of mindless ****baggery. Its just a great time for all the lucky members here.

I know this site will go far, and I'm proud to be a part of it, screw what other sites do, once they get their user count up, page views ridiculous, and sponsors overpaying, they almost always make the mistake of shooting themselves in the foot. I see this site getting that big, but I don't think with the way it is now there is any chance of it failing.

Rich
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #10
Shadow

Name :

Mekanic-it better had been Bacardi!

Capt. Morgan and I have an agreement