The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Classifieds and Commercial Sponsors > Classifieds - Corvettes, Parts & Accessories

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Classifieds - Corvettes, Parts & Accessories Sales | Wanteds | Sources | Advice For Buying or Selling

Unread 11-29-2006, 12:01 PM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
The data base idea is a great one if you can pull it off. CARFAX sucks!! and they piss and moan if you run a report for anyone else. I won't hold my breath for them to come around.

I keep waiting for them to get nailed with a class action suit for deceptive advertising anyway
Yeah, I'm not all the keen on CarFax myself, but it does help at least a little bit. For instance, I was looking at a C6 on Ebay that is down in Miami, and CarFax alerted me to the fact that this car was obtained by the present owner via auction. That raised a red flag. So I looked closer at the photos and noticed that ALL of the spoilers underneath the front bumper had been ripped off, and there were some MAJOR scratches under the nose that I hadn't noticed earlier. Saved me from considering a trip down to Miami!
Unread 11-29-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Yeah, I'm not all the keen on CarFax myself, but it does help at least a little bit. For instance, I was looking at a C6 on Ebay that is down in Miami, and CarFax alerted me to the fact that this car was obtained by the present owner via auction. That raised a red flag. So I looked closer at the photos and noticed that ALL of the spoilers underneath the front bumper had been ripped off, and there were some MAJOR scratches under the nose that I hadn't noticed earlier. Saved me from considering a trip down to Miami!

It's definately a place to start Just don't depend on the reliability of thier info or thier buy back guarantee
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road
Default you guys are awesome.

Just based on what's been experienced I won't even go look at Rogers'. I see no necessity in paying a guy to be a dick.

I did like the Toy Store Jim seemed nice and was helpful without being the least bit assertive.

I do watch a bunch of Vette sites and you guys are right, seem to be a good sellection within the state.

I hope to be ready to actually start the serious hunt in the next 3 months. Boy do I have a lot to learn.

As things get closer and I find something I think looks good I'll probably jump in and ask help in looking at the car and teaching me as you learned guys inspect. The help would be really appreciated.

Thanks to all. Hope to meet you guys in time.

Ken
Kap142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 05:18 PM   #14
srs244
78 pace car

Name :
srs244 has disabled reputation

i'm down in south florida (ft lauderdale area). i would certainly try to help someone out by taking a look (and more and perhaps better pictures) of a car down in this area. obviously even though i know enough about the mechanics etc, i wouldn't want to "inspect" a car for anyone other than for the obvious physical things like appearance, trim, etc. personally as an investment type purchase, i would certainly consider employing the services of a professional inspection/appraisal service. they are located nationwide and are worth the investment for your investment!!
srs244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #15
Kap142

Name :
Default good advise I'm sure

I appreciatre your advise and accept the wisdom. Can you (maybe) advise of any good dealerships who might be on-line with older vettes down in the south FL area? I have no idea if it's a valid conclusion but I imagine the prices down there (due to the metro area) might be a bit higher then up here.

Thanks for the input and to all my new friends out there web site addresses in FL for vette dealerships would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken
Unread 11-29-2006, 06:48 PM   #16
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Roger's a great guy imo, and he has the best cars. No, he doesn't bargain. He's not into the whole usual shuck 'n jive, let's-make-a-deal, kiss the customer's butt thing. Personally, I find that refreshing, not offensive. Others differ.

He has what he has, he has what no one else has, he asks a very fair price, and that's it. The thing with Roger is that there is *no question* as to the car's condition or provenance. He literally air-freights cars all over the world, sight-unseen, just based on his reputation. You may hear stories about his attitude, but you won't get any "stories" about his cars. I can't say the same for any of the other major Vette dealers in the state.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 06:59 PM   #17
srs244
78 pace car

Name :
srs244 has disabled reputation

don't have the web site, but one of the local dealers down here is gold coast corvette. they've been around a long time and deal in just about everything. they aren't cheap however.

while not a corvette exclusive place, berliner classic cars on sterling road in hollywood has a great variety of cars including corvettes, and each of his vehicles is unique and in mint condition. the owners name is warren berliner. i'm sure he has a web site, but his operation is more of an exclusive type one. no questioning the quality of his vehicles however.
srs244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 07:44 PM   #18
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

I'm a C4 and C5 generation owner and not as familiar with the older vettes. But here are some sites I found you may not have. The vette net could probably find what you're looking for. The others deal in the older cars it seems. If you find something in southwest Florida (Fort Myers area) there are several members of our club that own older vettes and I think they would be willing to help you out with questions, etc. Good luck!

http://www.vettehound.com/geo/classifieds.php?
http://www.thevettenet.com/Default.aspx
http://www.proteam-corvette.com/
Unread 11-29-2006, 08:15 PM   #19
Kap142

Name :
Default You guys are....

As they say "the bomb"

Thanks,

Ken
Unread 11-30-2006, 07:21 AM   #20
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

Your post is kinda vauge as to what condition Vette you are looking for. Are you looking for a good driver, are you looking for a true survivor, are you looking for a car for you to fix up ? Truth of the matter is older Vettes, C2's, C3's do have common problems that sometimes the untrained eye might not pick up. Result of that is you either get ripped off or disappointed. Replacement parts for these cars can be very expensive. Most are available aftermarket, some are even still available from GM.

First off knowledge is power, the more you know about the car the better off you will be. When you decide on an exact year do research on it. Learn what was available on it new and how to find out if there are incorrect repairs and parts on it. A good source for this information is a book called
" The Genuine Corvette Black Book". Filled with production facts and all the information you will need to know about a specific year. Another publication is the "Corvette Restoration Source Book'. This is a good book to help you identify correct and incorrect parts on a car. Another great guide which I use all the time is a book called "Chevrolet by the Numbers written by Alan L. Colvin. This book tells you how to identify and verify all V8 drivetrain parts. All this info is important if you are looking for a numbers matching car. If you are looking for a car just to have fun in and drive and work on you might not care whether the numbers match or not, but if your making an investment and hope someday to sell it and make or recoup your investment you really want to make sure what your buying is truly what is being represented to you.

There are a few things to look for when looking at a car.

First, do the numbers match. Does the car have the original motor and trans. For maximin resale value and originality this is a must.

Second, does the car have any rust. Thats right rust. These plastic marvels do rust in certain areas, like the frame, and around the windshield. The frame is an easy inspection, primarily the side rails. Holes and rot should be avoided. The windshield inspection might require the removal of some trim.

Third, the body. This is a little tricky. Big Block cars tend to show more wear and stress cracks due to torque. Pay particular attention to the door pillar areas around the striker. Look for fresh paint and stress cracks. Also you don't want a car that has been wrecked. The bodies of old Corvettes are pieced together. For example the front fenders on a C3 are really made up of three main pieces. The top piece which is the fender tops and the front header around the headlamps, the lower side piece, and a bonding strip which goes between the two main pieces. Now a lot of replacements are made up of one piece. For example if a car was hit hard in the front it might have been fixed with a one piece nose which means the fenders and header are all in one and then hung on the car. This type of repair certainly lowers the value of the car. To check the car for this type of repair you would look in the fenderwells and look for the bonding strip and goop between the fender pieces. This also applies to the rear quarters.

Fourth, on C3's the vacumn operated headlights and wiper cover can be a major headache. If there is something on the car that doesn't work research it and see how much it will cost to fix it.

And lastly if their are missing parts and you want to make the car close to original, do some research, you might be surprized at how much these parts are. For example if the car is missing the ignition shielding and you want to add it it might cost upwards of $500.00 depending on the year. Older Vettes have expensive calipers and hubs and rotors. A car thats been around thirty of forty years might require thousands of dollars of parts and labor if you want it original. As you are relatively new to Corvettes I think it would definitely be to your advantage to have someone who is Corvette savvy look at any potential purchases you might make.

Bottom line here is be careful as the money you invest you might never recover if you buy the wrong car. True it is a hobby, but there are certainly people out there waiting and willing to take advantage of an unsuspecting person.

If your looking for an original unmolested car a great place to look is in Hemmings Motor News. Online at www.hemmings.com.

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote