The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Detailing

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Detailing The art of having gleam and sparkle in your ride and pride. From fixing an abused finish to keeping your perfect one that way.

Unread 12-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road
Default Scuffs on the door.

Hey guys/gals,

This weekend was the first time i got around to giving the car a qwikie detailing. I have some scuffs on the door that looks like something slid down on it. I tried hand buffing it with polish and wax but it didnt help. I'm not sure if its just the clear or in the paint. Anyone here can take a look and see what might work on it or if i need to get a orbital and try it again??

Unread 12-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
Flash man
Cruzin

Name :
Flash man is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris,

I just want to let you in on a few detailing tips. An orbital polisher works great for applying wax on a good finish. But, it does not have the power to remove scratches, scuffs, oxidation or contaminates from a surface. Orbitals just vibrate around. A high speed buffer with a wool cutting pad will do the trick. But that would be a job for an experienced detailer that is familiar using a high speed buffer. The only other alternative would be to use a terry cloth towel and do it by hand. You will get better results doing it by hand than you would using an orbital buffer. Dont use a microfiber towel because its too soft and will not be aggressive enough to get the job done.
Terry cloth works the best for this application.

We carry a few products that will work for the scuffs. What product did you use? How agressive is it? We have a product called Rejuvenator. It s a one step cleaner wax. It is more aggressive than a standard cleaner wax. Rejuvenator contains a liquid clay bar which acts like a cutting compound and also contains a very durable carnauba wax. It will remove scratches, scuffs, oxidation, water spots, and contaminates from clearcoated surfaces. It also removes heavy oxidation from plastic lenses. If Rejuvenator wont do it, we have about four other products that will work. All clearcoat safe.

I see you live in St. Pete. If you like you can bring your Corvette by our Detail supply store in Largo and you can try it, before you buy it. We are located at 11311 Starkey Road in Largo. Its about an 1/8 mile north of bryan Dairy rd. inside Mission Plaza on the east side of the road. www.flashwax.com

Joe-Flash Car Care Products
Flash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
chris308
spam sniper

I just used some Meguires stuff i still had left in the garage to use up. Its not aggressive at all. It was the Gold Class stuff, wax and polish.

Yea, i didnt want to try anything to harsh as i didnt want to make it any worse....

I will take you up on your offer, i'll stop by on a saturday. I hope something works as the finish on this old of a car is pretty good except for this part of the door.
Unread 12-18-2006, 07:47 PM   #4
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Chris, if when you run your fingernail across the scuff, you can feel the grooves in the clear, then your chances of buffing this blemish out are not good. A good high speed buffer in the hands of an experienced detailer can do wonders, but if it's through the clear, then you won't be satisfied. A good paint shop that is reasonable with you can fix you right up fairly inexpensively.
Give Flash man a shot, I think it's great he will let you try the product . I expect you will at least have to try a polish with some abrasives in it to see decent results, a chemical (non-abrasive) polish isn't going to cut it.
Good luck, I'm sure you will find a satisfactory solution once you get busy looking. Let us know how this comes out ...................Tom
Unread 12-18-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
chris308
spam sniper

I just went out and ran my fingernail across the scuff. I feel the scratches but they're very miniscule. Not very deep, i'll just wait and have a pro assess the damage.
Unread 12-18-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Oh, and Chris, this board http://www.detailcity.org/ is locally owned (Sarasota/Bradenton) and a lot of the members are fairly local. Check it out and see if they have some advice.............Tom
Unread 12-18-2006, 08:46 PM   #7
chris308
spam sniper

Thanks for the link Tom.
Unread 12-18-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you should give Flash Man a shot, you've got Nothing to lose!
Unread 12-19-2006, 07:06 AM   #9
Corvette Concepts

Name :
Corvette Concepts is on a distinguished road
Default Scuffs Are Us

As a Corvette enthusiast and an auto detailer for over thirty years I can offer our services to correct your problem. I've fixed many a scratch issue over the years. We're in Sarasota so we're not too far away and you can sit, watch, and wait for your car to be done. We only work on C5/C6 Corvettes (occasionally we slip off the wagon) so you can be assured we have the game down. Feel free to give us a call.

Corvette Concepts
Delco/Mongoose Performance
Corvette Ranch
Sarasota, Florida 34240
941-322-0577
Corvette Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
chris308
spam sniper

Thanks for that Jake, I will be getting in touch with you soon about a couple of mod stuff i am interested in soon. Maybe we'll just go all out on the car!!
Thanks!