The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 05-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #51
gsdave
engineer

Name :
gsdave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Chris just called me and told me he found a machine shop in Marianna that could do the remaining metal removal he needed.
Yeah, we're almost like the modern world up here.
gsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 02:35 AM   #52
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Log - Wednesday, 05/12/2010

Well, I was glad to see the engine sitting on the front cradle finally. Both the front and rear cradles were in position under the car. Some of the suspension stuff was going back on as well as putting some of the stuff back on the engine. Chris even has the catch cans mounted on the engine now.

Chris unpacked the flywheel and clutch assembly. It's a dual disk Fidanza clutch and aluminum flywheel. Looks like a quality built setup to me.

That's as far as they got that day... But at least things are moving now....
Unread 05-14-2010, 02:41 AM   #53
Rich Z

Default Log - Thursday, 05/13/2010

Not much happened today. I didn't get to the shop till after 11am. Had an appointment at 10am to get my hair cut.

Chris tried to mount the flywheel onto the crank, but no go. The hole in the flywheel is something like thirteen thousandths too small. Rather than trying to hog it out using a Dremel, Chris decided to run it to the machine shop to get it done right.

Didn't appear that there was going to be much else going on for my car, so I left there in the early afternoon and heading on home.

Hopefully tomorrow (Friday) will see this thing moving along a bit better...

Well, without a doubt, this will NOT be done in time for the Champion Chevrolet Corvette show on Saturday....
Unread 05-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #54
Rich Z

Default Log - Friday, 05/14/2010

Well, today didn't go as planned. The flywheel didn't get done at the machinst's today, for whatever reason. I talked to Chris a couple of times today and he said he was working on some other stuff on the car in the meantime, while waiting for the flywheel. I didn't see any sense in running out there since the drivetrain wasn't being put together without the flywheel being there. I guess I'll have to see on Monday what was done today.

So between an incompatibility with the oil pan and now the flywheel mating up with the aftermarket crank, it pretty much shot an entire week all to hell.

At this rate, I'm guessing that Connie's estimate that I MIGHT get the car on the road by my birthday (July 21), might really not be all that far from the mark.

Dammit......
Unread 05-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #55
vetteguy61

Name : Mike Elmore
vetteguy61 has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear that Rich. I went out to the shop today to see about the paint work I wanted done. Chris wasn't there. I waited for 30 min or so and he wasn't back so I left. He said Wed whe i was there he would cll me on the amount to do the paint work. No call from chris as usual.I'm about ready to get a trailer and get my car out of there.
vetteguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #56
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Rich, is this normal for an engine build like you're having done? I had a 502 Ford built and I know it's not nearly as exotic as yours but it was in and out in 2 weeks. It was a bored and stroked 460.

I just don't understand these engines I guess cause it seems like the oil pan and flywheel would just be a bolt in. Why would they build something so different from stock? I'm just trying to learn something here.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #57
gsdave
engineer

Name :
gsdave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Rich, is this normal for an engine build like you're having done? I had a 502 Ford built and I know it's not nearly as exotic as yours but it was in and out in 2 weeks. It was a bored and stroked 460.

I just don't understand these engines I guess cause it seems like the oil pan and flywheel would just be a bolt in. Why would they build something so different from stock? I'm just trying to learn something here.
I'm sure someone else will chime in here, but I think these issues are perfectly normal. Rich's build is full of aftermarket parts and, while one aftermarket part may mate perfectly with the associated OEM components, it may not necessarily work perfectly with other aftermarket parts. A 427 and a 346 (or whatever the C5 zo6 is) have different strokes and that extra stroke is going to need room. I doubt GM designs these things with all kinds of extra room inside the crankcase, so its easy to see the longer stroke and aftermarket rods causing a problem with the pan.

Most people don't see these issues because they're either less involved than Rich is or their builder does not share the modifications required in casual conversation.
gsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #58
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the info.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 12:59 AM   #59
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdave View Post
I'm sure someone else will chime in here, but I think these issues are perfectly normal. Rich's build is full of aftermarket parts and, while one aftermarket part may mate perfectly with the associated OEM components, it may not necessarily work perfectly with other aftermarket parts. A 427 and a 346 (or whatever the C5 zo6 is) have different strokes and that extra stroke is going to need room. I doubt GM designs these things with all kinds of extra room inside the crankcase, so its easy to see the longer stroke and aftermarket rods causing a problem with the pan.

Most people don't see these issues because they're either less involved than Rich is or their builder does not share the modifications required in casual conversation.
Actually the clearance issue in the oil pan had nothing at all to do with piston rod clearance. The pan was hitting against the oil pickup tube. But quite honestly, you would think that there would be something akin to "standards" with all of this stuff so that it would all fit together. Samuel Colt showed them the way of benefits of standardized parts a LONG LONG time ago.

You would THINK that an aftermarket crankcase that would fit a stock flywheel, and an aftermarket flywheel that would fit a stock crankcase would logically fit together, i.e. the aftermarket flywheel would fit on the aftermarket crankcase if the above two scenarios are true. It is certainly disconcerting that the automotive industry is every bit as screwed up as it used to be when I was in my late teens and early 20s playing around with this auto mechanic crap. It is one of the major reasons I gave up wrenching on stuff way back then.
Unread 05-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #60
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post

Heck, I don't know. I've had some people say this is normal, and others are aghast at the amount of down time my car has been through. Heck, if it's normal to get an engine like the one I got from World Products originally, well honestly, this really isn't the kind of game for someone with high expectations of getting what he or she paid for (like me!) to be engaging in.

Some people are STILL telling me that the results will be worth it when it's all said and done, but I am sincerely doubting my bad luck streak will break any time soon.

Quite honestly, I'm REALLY surprised that Chris hasn't decided to just put my car back the way it was and refund my money just to get me and my car out of his hair. This has been a major headache for him as well as me....

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports