The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Classifieds and Commercial Sponsors > Board of Inquiry®

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Board of Inquiry® Got a problem with someone you had a dealing with? Can't get it resolved and no other recourse presents itself? Had an especially good transaction with someone? Looking for info on a dealer?

Unread 01-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #131
Bradzvette
PW Pimp, keeper O' 'da thread

Name :
Bradzvette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbum View Post
I am having the blountstown police meet me up there because I didn't feel comfortable with the way Chris repeatedly said "done or not be there Wed afternoon". Plus they are an impartial witness.

He still wouldn't ever say he actually had a motor. He would literally just not answer the question, and that to me is BS. Its very simple, if I go up there and all the parts are there for my car to be fixed, I only want a refund. If there is no motor, then the lawsuit will indeed be for well over $10k. If the motor is there or the car is almost complete, then I can have my car back up in running by next weekend. I cannot express to you enough how livid I will be if the motor he said he got weeks ago isn't there.
I would be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. A back up plan on how to proceed if there is indeed a motor missing would be in the works. I am assuming you have an LS1, which in 2004 was really an LS6 I beleive? I have seen several motors for sale on LS1tech. Maybe do a craigs list search as well. I have some spare LS1 parts laying around and will give you what I can if it comes down to it.

Do you have a flat bed wrecker service lined up? Be prepared to load a motor as well if for some reason it is not in the car. Bring help, but those helpers should stay neutral and not be involved or say a word to Chris, let you handle it. Another consideration might be to rent a truck and trailer and load it yourself so that you are not waiting.

Further, I would advise that you save your anger for a later time, you still have a lot of decisions to make in front of you, make sure you do it with a clear head. Don't give Chris or the police any reason to make this harder on you then it already is. I would be very calm and business like. Keep your emotions in check so that you walk out of there with what you need which is 1. your car and 2. as a bonus a working legit motor. Make the process as short as possible, the longer you stay, the more that can go wrong.

Now Shadow can jump in here with some advice in dealing with the police too, but my experience with them in these situations (I have been in your shoes, a machine shop was closing and tried to sell my motor, I prevailed) is that they will be viewing it as a civil matter, they will be reluctant to get involved. Don't expect them to be interested in who is right and wrong. They will not be on your side, and more then likely lean to the merchant, so be prepared for that. Most beat cops usually work from the prespective of what they see when they arrive, not what you or Chris say has gone down. AND... the person in any situation that is yelling, cussing etc., usually gets the negative attention from the police.

I would have certain facts written down ahead of time and with me. Maybe a time line. Again, emotions get going and we tend to stop thinking clearly. I would as Shadow suggests, have someone with you, but this person should be a calm person that should be looking out for your best interests. Someone that you will listen to and can remind you of what your objectives are and keep you from losing sight of those. Being in the military you need to keep your career in mind. Hell if I wasnt going back to work next week I 'd drive up there and help you out on that, but anyways.

You have someone else ready to take the car and hopefully do a good job for you?

Good luck to you
Bradzvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #132
Fatbum
My car got Xtremely F'd

Name : Daniel Halpin
Fatbum has disabled reputation

I am trying to get some locals to help with the trailer, but their work schedule is conflicting, and im going Wednesday bottom line.

I'm not worried about myself getting mad or doing anything, I am worried about Chris, that is why I want the Police present as I perceive his lack of answering any questions and only saying "be there Wednesday" etc etc as a possible threat. Like Shadow said, people at the brink will do anything outside their own nature.

I just want them there to make sure he doesn't do anything. I'd go today but I doubt he would be there.
Fatbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #133
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradzvette View Post
I would be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Yes sir! An excellent position

...I have some spare LS1 parts laying around and will give you what I can if it comes down to it...

Hell of an offer there my friend

...Don't give Chris or the police any reason to make this harder on you then it already is. I would be very calm and business like. Keep your emotions in check so that you walk out of there with what you need which is 1. your car and 2. as a bonus a working legit motor. Make the process as short as possible, the longer you stay, the more that can go wrong.

Absolutely agree. Remember, if you get angry, even if they didn't arrest you, they (police) can be used as witnesses against you in later court proceedings ("he was unreasonable, etc...blah blah"...BS but it sometimes works.)

Now Shadow can jump in here with some advice in dealing with the police too, but my experience with them in these situations (I have been in your shoes, a machine shop was closing and tried to sell my motor, I prevailed) is that they will be viewing it as a civil matter, they will be reluctant to get involved. Don't expect them to be interested in who is right and wrong. They will not be on your side, and more then likely lean to the merchant, so be prepared for that. Most beat cops usually work from the prespective of what they see when they arrive, not what you or Chris say has gone down. AND... the person in any situation that is yelling, cussing etc., usually gets the negative attention from the police.

He's absolutely correct. 99.9% of the time, the police will not get involved in such matters, except to "standby" and ensure there's no "breech of the peace." If they're good, they won't be obviously leaning to any one side. That said, I know absolutely nothing about Blountsville or thier PD. Some small towns (been there too) are very "protective" oif thier "people."
They definately work off what they find upon arrival. Even with timelines, paperwork out the yazoo, and witnesses, they'll likely still refer you to the courts. Unless they run numbers and find stolen property (at which time EVERYTHING changes) they just won't make a decision. BTDT from thier perspective

I would have certain facts written down ahead of time and with me. Maybe a time line. Again, emotions get going and we tend to stop thinking clearly. I would as Shadow suggests, have someone with you, but this person should be a calm person that should be looking out for your best interests. Someone that you will listen to and can remind you of what your objectives are and keep you from losing sight of those. Being in the military you need to keep your career in mind. Hell if I wasnt going back to work next week I 'd drive up there and help you out on that, but anyways.

Again right on the money. If the folks you have a re friends, don't let them become involved. They must remain neutral. BTW, Chris has the right to require they remain off the property until the police arrive and even then, to some extent. Of course if he won't allow them on the property to assist in the load, then:
A) He's either going to have to facilitate it or,
B) The police will step in and "tell him" that they are coming on board to help load up! (done that one too...property owner was PIZZED! but who cares!

You have someone else ready to take the car and hopefully do a good job for you?

Good luck to you

Absolutely wish you the best in this fiasco. I hope it works out

Quote:
I am trying to get some locals to help with the trailer, but their work schedule is conflicting, and im going Wednesday bottom line.

I'm not worried about myself getting mad or doing anything, I am worried about Chris, that is why I want the Police present as I perceive his lack of answering any questions and only saying "be there Wednesday" etc etc as a possible threat. Like Shadow said, people at the brink will do anything outside their own nature.

I just want them there to make sure he doesn't do anything. I'd go today but I doubt he would be there.
Going today would defeat the purppose. he's given you a date, so stick with it It'll only make him look worse if he fails to appear.

Quote:
I perceive his lack of answering any questions and only saying "be there Wednesday" etc etc as a possible threat.
Yes sir, that was my concern as well. Doesn't sound like things are rational at this point on his end

I wish him well too. I hope whatever he's dealing with, gets handled and he can get back in business properly. Seen it done before, but it's tough.

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #134
Fatbum
My car got Xtremely F'd

O and I forgot to mention, 05 GTOs have LS2s, which is what I have, but I appreciate the offer Bradzvette.

The 04 GTOs have LS1s, none of them came with LS6s. Only C5 Z06s and CTS-Vs have come with LS6s from the factory. Although 04 GTOs are virtually a head/cam swap away from having an LS6. The main difference between the LS1 and LS6 being the casting they use for heads, LS1 = 241 and LS2/LS6 = 243/799
Unread 01-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #135
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Just for the record, unless Chris specifically requests that I NOT be there, I will be at Xtreme on Wednesday. I got the tracking info from LME and my engine is scheduled to be delivered early this week. I'm not sure if the delivery point is actually on site at Xtreme or a central depot needing to be picked up, however. So I will be there anyway with camcorders, recording the continuance of work being done with my car. If anyone wants a recording of this meeting for a non-biased record, then I will be willing to do so. I will send the raw files to whomever wants them. So I would hope everyone will remain civil.....
Unread 01-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #136
Fatbum
My car got Xtremely F'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Just for the record, unless Chris specifically requests that I NOT be there, I will be at Xtreme on Wednesday. I got the tracking info from LME and my engine is scheduled to be delivered early this week. I'm not sure if the delivery point is actually on site at Xtreme or a central depot needing to be picked up, however. So I will be there anyway with camcorders, recording the continuance of work being done with my car. If anyone wants a recording of this meeting for a non-biased record, then I will be willing to do so. I will send the raw files to whomever wants them. So I would hope everyone will remain civil.....
I don't know exactly what you would be filming.

I am picking up my car and whatever parts are there and that's it. If there is no motor for my car, then he has lied about one more thing and it will be noted when I file suit because a long block is lots of $. If the motor is there then its just one more thing I have to pack up. I just want what is mine and I want to GTF out of there. I don't want to say more then what is necessary to get my car back.

Best case scenario: I pull up and my car is completed, motor ready, dyno sheets and a smile on its face (although rather unlikely)
Good scenario: Chris hands me a check for $1400 and the complete motor, so all I need to do is throw it in the car next weekend (very unlikely)
Average scenario: I pick up my car and a complete motor, but have to file for my $1400. (I'd say 30% chance of that happening, although with Chris not even being able to say that he does in fact have a motor, its probably lower.)
Bad scenario: I pick my car up with no motor being present. So I have to file suit for the cost of labor, motor, and refund. (Most likely scenario)
Unread 01-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #137
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't know exactly what you would be filming.

I am picking up my car and whatever parts are there and that's it. If there is no motor for my car, then he has lied about one more thing and it will be noted when I file suit because a long block is lots of $. If the motor is there then its just one more thing I have to pack up. I just want what is mine and I want to GTF out of there. I don't want to say more then what is necessary to get my car back.

Best case scenario: I pull up and my car is completed, motor ready, dyno sheets and a smile on its face (although rather unlikely)
Good scenario: Chris hands me a check for $1400 and the complete motor, so all I need to do is throw it in the car next weekend (very unlikely)
Average scenario: I pick up my car and a complete motor, but have to file for my $1400. (I'd say 30% chance of that happening, although with Chris not even being able to say that he does in fact have a motor, its probably lower.)
Bad scenario: I pick my car up with no motor being present. So I have to file suit for the cost of labor, motor, and refund. (Most likely scenario)
I really don't know what the situation will be with your car and truly hope this works out for both you and Chris with out further rancor. I haven't been in the shop for a while now and can't comment first hand on whatever progress has been made on any of the cars there. I do know that the last time I was there, there was a motor NEAR your car, but I didn't look closely enough at it to tell you if it was the one that came out, or the one supposed to go into your car.

I will likely be at the shop anyway to video my own car being worked on, which hopefully will be continuing the install of my own new engine.

So if anyone would like to have things on video to make certain there is a video record, and no "he did, he did not" stuff, then I will be glad to help. Or if by having things on video helps to keep everyone civil, then that is fine with me as well. If not, then heck, I'll just stay out of everybody's way. This is absolutely between you and Chris. Both of you would probably like nothing more than to wash your hands of the other, so I hope that can happen without escalating matters nor tempers.
Unread 01-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #138
Bradzvette
PW Pimp, keeper O' 'da thread

Name :
Bradzvette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
O and I forgot to mention, 05 GTOs have LS2s, which is what I have, but I appreciate the offer Bradzvette.

The 04 GTOs have LS1s, none of them came with LS6s. Only C5 Z06s and CTS-Vs have come with LS6s from the factory. Although 04 GTOs are virtually a head/cam swap away from having an LS6. The main difference between the LS1 and LS6 being the casting they use for heads, LS1 = 241 and LS2/LS6 = 243/799
Gotcha. Thought you had the 04. I know at some point every LS1 block GM made was actually an LS6 I believe. Either way I am always scouring around so I will take note of things if I see them. Let us know what the status of the engine is (if there is one, hopefully) and what if anything it needs and we can go from there.

Consider this too, if you have another shop set up to work on it and willing to go on record, then I would have them look at it and document their findings. I am sure you will have a camera in hand as well.

Be prepared that what ever has been done is more then likely been a rush job. I would go over the car with a fine tooth comb and another set of experienced eyes.

And I am all about back up plans, I would call the county court house on Monday and find out exactly what court to file in and what paper work would be required to get a judge to issue an order for Chris to release the car and motor to you and schedule a mediation hearing if things dont go as planned wednesday.

Remember the police are not going to force him to give your car to you. However, you come back with a judges order, the game has changed and they will arrest him for contempt if he refuses to comply. The judge may even grant you the right to lawfully enter the premesis as well if you state your property may be in jeopardy. Shadow may have more info on that, but i was close to filing that stuff myself against the machine shop that had my engine last year and was trying to sell it on ebay and craigs list.

Thank God I painted it orange or I might have missed it. Not many orange LS4 383 engines around. LOL

Sincerely wishing you the best.

Cheers
Bradzvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #139
Fatbum
My car got Xtremely F'd

Actually I don't need a court order to get my car back. It is unlawful for him not to allow me access to it/take it. As I didn't not pay for something that I was supposed to.

Chris said he would be there for me to take my car back.

Rich Z, the motor you would have saw would have either been my old motor or the first new motor. The supposed second motor may or may not exist but it would have came after you saw the motor sitting next to my car.

I can't really have any shop comb over anything, because I suspect there will be less parts then I started with. (The motor).

He refused again to answer if there was a motor or not (since I am trying to figure out what I can use to tow, ill need to know if I need to have something to transfer the motor too). I swear I'll have to get a ****ing judge to force him to answer these easy ****ing questions. This **** is ridiculous. Yes or no is all it takes. Im going to find out eventually on Wednesday and if he doesn't have the car down or the parts and refund check then he is getting sued, and I quarantee you it will be at least $12k I'll be going for. He is simply trying to screw me even more but not letting me be prepared to pick the car up.
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:24 AM   #140
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

So what's the outcome? Did you get your car back yesterday?