The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Events and Happenings

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Events and Happenings Shows | Cruises | Parties | Swap Meets

Unread 03-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
BlownVetteZ06

Name :
BlownVetteZ06 has disabled reputation
Default Another boring car show

Old Town was a bust today for me. If the success of a show was the count of cars, then this would have been successful. Not much to look at, especially after the contestants meeting where everyone was told all windows up, all hoods down, etc. I saw perhaps 3 other blown vettes. The pathetic judging criteria "looking for scratches on your windows." Didn't see anyone I knew. Maybe I am just jaded after working RF/CAN/NACA/IASCA car audio shows for a decade. I believe they were a lot more fun for the contestants, judges, and spectators. Perhaps this is an older group that enjoys life in the slow lane. '

I am still looking for a group of 'non-denominational car enthusiasts that enjoy all aspects of their car, beautifying, performance enhancements, audio/computer/nav, racing (not street), cruising, etc. All I see/hear about at the shows is people cleaning, detailing, polishing, preaning their cars. One show regular tells me she spends an *average* of 40 hours cleaning her car prior to a show. What is the point of having the dealer sticker in the car window? I saw more than just a few. There was nothing novel nor historic about them, these weren't C-1, C-2s. They were in C-6s.

I lived in Asia for 6 years and saw a custom where people would leave the stickers on their cars that came on them, also on their TV sets, especially Sony's which have the clear and red dotted sticker that is right on the CRT tube. They tell me it is a status symbol to leave the stickers on.

I guess I should have posted this in Ray's Rant-N-Rave room, sorry Ray. Move / delete the post as necessary.

Craig Rogers
BlownVetteZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road
Default Damn Craig

Maybe you need to see if anyone other then Craig enjoyed the show. I had a ball. It's not the wining or loosing or the traditional or the modified that matters. It's having fun. Sorry you wont be with us for the Ecklers' show next year but I suspect several of us will be there to enjoy each other and the show.
Unread 03-31-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

I personally had a GREAT time. I met some new friends and saw some great cars. Any show that I go to, I always attend looking to see friends and look at cars.

If there are good places to eat, that's a plus. If there are vendors or a flea market, that's another plus.
Going to the Eckler's Show you have to realize that the only vendor's that will be there are the ones that Eckler's deals with. It's their show! So don't expect anything more than that.

As far as the judging went. It is no different there that some of the other shows that I have been to. They want to see the top up, the windows up, etc. After all, they are judging the car.

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
BlownVetteZ06

Name :

I agree. Of the half a dozen shows I have gone to, I have not gone to compete but to meet/greet/and see other vettes. Without the ability to view others cars/mods and talk with them I might as well just go to a Chevy dealership and look at factory vettes. With the cars all buttoned up and the contestants wandering around trying to find others there wasn't anything to see after a cursory walk around and view of the exteriors of the cars.

I am glad you enjoyed the show Kap, although the atmosphere isn't for me.

Craig
Unread 03-31-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
PIVette

Name :
PIVette has disabled reputation

Hi Gals and Guys,

We had 11 cars drive over for the show from the Ponce Inlet Corvette Club. We had a good time .... Plenty of gorgeous cars, nice folks and lots of room to park (for a change).

I guess it's just like everything else, you can't please all the people all the time. Hats off to Eckler's for providing us with a nice way to spend a Saturday...Hats off to the good Lord, for the great weather.

PS. We even signed up a few cars for our upcoming show!!!!
PIVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #6
Mekanic
Injector Guy

Name :
Mekanic is on a distinguished road

HEY!!!!!

I used to compete in IASCA
Unread 04-01-2007, 07:14 AM   #7
larrybroga
Vett'n since 1961

Name : Larry Broga
larrybroga is on a distinguished road

I realize that I am kind of new to the car show/cruise scene ( I have only been doing it since 1961 ), but I really enjoyed myself. I guess it is all in what you expect and since I have been going to Ecklers for years, it was far better than in the past. As far as trying to find people, I had the corvetteflorida.com sign on my dash and there were a steady flow of people stopping to introduce themselves to my wife and me.

Growing old is inevitable !
Growing up is optional !!!!
larrybroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #8
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

I have been in this hobby for a long time and the last few years I have gotten a little disenchanted with SOME shows. I am not in Florida at the moment so I was not able to make the Eckler's show and cannot express an opinion on this show.

I do enjoy getting together with other Vette owners and looking at their cars, them look at mine, BS about the hobby, etc. This is a great way to meet and make friends with other people with similar interests.

I don't particularly like judged shows. It can be difficult to find enough judges to have the judging be consistent, fair and not take forever to finish the judging. So, I prefer "People's Choice" or "Entrants Choice" type shows. This is where either the entrants or spectators just vote for the cars they like in the class. No one tells you what they found "WRONG" with your car, it is just how many votes your car receives.

I also think that the shows can be a very long day and you need to be prepared for this, chair, shade of some sort, sun block, food, drink (typically non alcoholic if the event is sanctioned by NCCC), etc. But most important, is having other people to BS with, which I can do forever and kill the good part of any day! Between BS-ing and salavating over other cars I would love to have in my garage I can even make a Judged show bear-able.
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #9
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownVetteZ06
I agree. Of the half a dozen shows I have gone to, I have not gone to compete but to meet/greet/and see other vettes. Without the ability to view others cars/mods and talk with them I might as well just go to a Chevy dealership and look at factory vettes. With the cars all buttoned up and the contestants wandering around trying to find others there wasn't anything to see after a cursory walk around and view of the exteriors of the cars.

I am glad you enjoyed the show Kap, although the atmosphere isn't for me.

Craig
i felted the same way as you did at first .But i was trying to compare to back in the day .I have went to Slamfest and Nopi events and far as action goes they do know how to party .Live Bands,Burnout comp. Wet t-shirts, Bikini contests,Sound off comps. and Drag racing .Lots and Lots of Vendors not just afew but crap load. I am turning 47 and this old man just don't fit in anymore with that group anymore.I repect their hobbie and will still go to a show if local .In the late 70s and early 80s i was in a Vanclub and their saying on our club shirts was (Party til You Puke) So that being said i have partied with the best of them.Corvette people for the most are very laid back folks compare to others and thats because they are 40 years old plus .I just enjoy talkin and chekin out the vettes at the shows .
Unread 04-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #10
BlownVetteZ06

Name :

Thanks for the headsup on the NOPI car show series. I hadn't heard of them. Looks like a fun event and they have a class for vettes/vipers/gts. Next show is in Miami on April 14th. They are also holding and IASCA event at the show I'd be interested in seeing.