The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 09-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #11
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail
Ray, I sent a reply to your thread earlier. Yes Borla's come in Quad tips and you might want to contact Corvettes West. I got my Borla Stingers there for $1100 installed.

Joe B.
Thanks Man!
Unread 09-18-2007, 10:10 PM   #12
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Bear in mind that if you get your parts from one place and have someone else install them, the warranty on the parts if something breaks will NOT include the expense of replacing them. If you can get a package deal where the shop will guarantee EVERYTHING, then even paying more for the parts might wind up being a better insurance policy for you.

In any event make sure you know UP FRONT about any warranty that applies. To give you an example, I have cut and pasted a warranty from a very well know national shop that installs MagnaCharger superchargers and offers a 3 year/36K mile warranty on their work. Sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

But the fine print may make you pause a bit.

Quote:
XXXXXX warrants the above-identified supercharger package it has installed on the above-listed vehicle to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first. This warranty is only valid on cars with less than 20,000 miles on them at the time of install. This warranty covers only the supercharger components and the lubricated components of the engine assembly, and it does not cover any other item including but not limited to maintenance or normal wear items, the clutch (if vehicle is equipped with manual transmission), torque converter (if vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission), transmission or parts thereof, or other drive-train components. This warranty will be voided if the boost level or computer tuning is altered in any way from the XXXXXX settings. Tampering with heat indicators or XXXXXX installed seals will void this warranty. The warranty period begins on the date of delivery. This warranty applies only to the original owner of the vehicle at the date of delivery by XXXXXX and is not transferable. This warranty does not apply to damage caused by detonation, overheating, misuse, incorrect maintenance, modification, abuse, racing, or accidents. In the event of a warranty claim by the warranty owner, the vehicle must be delivered to XXXXXX at the owner's expense for inspection before any warranty authorization will be given. XXXXXX reserves the right to repair or replace the engine assembly after inspection. XXXXXX disclaims and shall not be held liable for any consequential damages or attorney fees resulting from a warranty claim. THIS WARRANTY SUPERSEDES ALL PREVIOUSLY APPLICABLE WARRANTIES, IF ANY, AND EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE PROVIDED HEREIN, NO OTHER WARRANTY, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES OF FITNESS OR MERCHANTABILITY, IS PROVIDED TO YOU, BY XXXXXX OR ANY OTHER PARTY, FOR THIS SUPERCHARGER PACKAGE OR ANY COMPONENT THEREOF.
*identifying labels have been edited out.
Unread 09-18-2007, 10:39 PM   #13
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

Ah yes, the voice of reason, from the man of experience. Thanks, Rich!

The fact is, modified cars are NOT STOCK and, for all intents and purposes, the systems that are modified have NO WARRANTY. Yes, a good shop will give you something more than the traditional "5 feet or 5 seconds" IF there is infant mortality. Once you run it for a couple thousand miles, it's yours. The warranty that Rich quotes above is from one of the most respected and most expensive shops in the country. Yes, you get a warranty...and about a 25% premium on the bill. It may well be worth it, but the point is the warranty isn't "free".

As to the GM warranty. yes, there is Magnuson-Moss, but dealers have wide discretion in practice and if the guy doesn't want to fix your car, you'll play heck getting it fixed there. Lawyers or no.

Ray, the question you have to ask yourself is, are you prepared to deal with the potential crap of a modified car? Up to and including buying your own new engine if you have a catastrophic failure due to GM/aftermarket/your shop/fate/whatever? Are you willing to take it back to the shop 3 or 4 times to get it right? Are you willing to go through 3 tuners? Etc, etc. That's not to say that these horrible things WILL happen, as they probably won't. But they might and if they do, and your car is modded, you're on your own. Would that be just painful, or catastrophic? If the latter, leave it alone.

On the other hand, if you're willing to take a deep breath and start down the hot rod path, then the questions become much simpler. Indeed, there's only one question: speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

That's a smart-ass way of saying "set a budget and the rest comes from that". Decide on a dollar amount (more than stock), and a "hassle factor" (driveability, reliability, mileage, etc., all worse than stock) and then you can make a realistic plan and get useful advice on what might be an appropriate package for you. I wouldn't just throw parts at the car because "this is what everybody does". I see more useless crap at Vette shows than I can believe.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
Bradzvette
PW Pimp, keeper O' 'da thread

Name :
Bradzvette is on a distinguished road

Ray, I love to drive my car just about anywhere, it is my daily driver. I would jump at an excuse to drive over and meet you in person and let you take my vert for a spin. 96 miles is nothing. Then you can decide where you want to be at compared to my car and the mods I have done, less or more. From there we can get you a firm quote.

Let me know, looking forward to a little trip.

Brad
Bradzvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #15
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet
Ah yes, the voice of reason, from the man of experience. Thanks, Rich!

The fact is, modified cars are NOT STOCK and, for all intents and purposes, the systems that are modified have NO WARRANTY. Yes, a good shop will give you something more than the traditional "5 feet or 5 seconds" IF there is infant mortality. Once you run it for a couple thousand miles, it's yours. The warranty that Rich quotes above is from one of the most respected and most expensive shops in the country. Yes, you get a warranty...and about a 25% premium on the bill. It may well be worth it, but the point is the warranty isn't "free".

As to the GM warranty. yes, there is Magnuson-Moss, but dealers have wide discretion in practice and if the guy doesn't want to fix your car, you'll play heck getting it fixed there. Lawyers or no.

Ray, the question you have to ask yourself is, are you prepared to deal with the potential crap of a modified car? Up to and including buying your own new engine if you have a catastrophic failure due to GM/aftermarket/your shop/fate/whatever? Are you willing to take it back to the shop 3 or 4 times to get it right? Are you willing to go through 3 tuners? Etc, etc. That's not to say that these horrible things WILL happen, as they probably won't. But they might and if they do, and your car is modded, you're on your own. Would that be just painful, or catastrophic? If the latter, leave it alone.

On the other hand, if you're willing to take a deep breath and start down the hot rod path, then the questions become much simpler. Indeed, there's only one question: speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

That's a smart-ass way of saying "set a budget and the rest comes from that". Decide on a dollar amount (more than stock), and a "hassle factor" (driveability, reliability, mileage, etc., all worse than stock) and then you can make a realistic plan and get useful advice on what might be an appropriate package for you. I wouldn't just throw parts at the car because "this is what everybody does". I see more useless crap at Vette shows than I can believe.
This sounds reasonable and makes practical sense.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote