The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 09-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #2141
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I SERIOUSLY want a bigger lathe. The little one I got is OK, but working on anything bigger than, say, a bullet projectile, is pushing the limits with it.

Nothing huge, just big enough to not be stymied because it is too small. Actually my biggest hurtle would be just getting it inside the garage and set up on a stand. Even the smaller of the next step up for me is going to be around 250 lbs or better. Connie and I just can't manage that sort of lifting any longer. But I've been thinking of ways around that. Maybe I could use the lift to manhandle it into place off of the back of Connie's truck. I'll have to see how far the lift's arms extend the next time there isn't a car sitting on it.
Well, I finally found a lathe that I want. Quite a bit bigger than my current baby lathe, but not a huge one. Weighs in at somewhere between 460 and 650 lbs, depending on where you look for that sort of info.

It's the smallest lathe I could find with all the options I wanted and the ability to handle anything I think I might want to work on with a lathe in the foreseeable future.

Just picked up a 2 ton shop crane from Harbor Freight today that I need to put together, but there is really no rush as there is likely going to be a 10 to 12 week delay before it is actually shipped. I believe this is a very popular little machine from the reviews I've found.

Unread 09-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #2142
Rich Z

Incidentally, I was having an intermittent problem starting up the car that I believe I fixed. I would generally load in a new tune, and often times when I would start the car afterwards, I would get reduced engine power with service action control messages flashing on the DIC. Sometimes it would go away on a second restart and rarely might take a third or fourth restart before it would go away.

On a hunch, I pulled apart all the wheel sensor connectors, sprayed them down with electronic contact cleaner, and then reseated the connectors a couple of times. Seemed to me this problem started a while back when I had separated the driver's side front connector to reroute the cable and I did not think to disconnect the battery first. So when I started the car up afterwards, I got that same above mentioned error message that went away when I started the car up a second time. So this time I disconnected the battery first before cleaning the connectors, and so far (knock on wood) I haven't had a single reccurence of that problem.
Unread 09-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #2143
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

That's good info for ALL of us with C5's
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #2144
Rich Z

Quote:
Incidentally, I was having an intermittent problem starting up the car that I believe I fixed. I would generally load in a new tune, and often times when I would start the car afterwards, I would get reduced engine power with service action control messages flashing on the DIC. Sometimes it would go away on a second restart and rarely might take a third or fourth restart before it would go away.

On a hunch, I pulled apart all the wheel sensor connectors, sprayed them down with electronic contact cleaner, and then reseated the connectors a couple of times. Seemed to me this problem started a while back when I had separated the driver's side front connector to reroute the cable and I did not think to disconnect the battery first. So when I started the car up afterwards, I got that same above mentioned error message that went away when I started the car up a second time. So this time I disconnected the battery first before cleaning the connectors, and so far (knock on wood) I haven't had a single reccurence of that problem.
Well, so much for that hypothesis. Had the problem come back today while doing some test drives. I was changing tunes while sitting on parking lots and a couple of times after loading the new tune the car would go into "reduced engine power". I would have to keep restarting the car to make it go away.

Now I did notice that the times I get that REP error, that the car was real sluggish starting. So I'm thinking that since this is related to the traction control system which is related to the brake system which is related to the brake booster which is related to vacuum the engine generates, MAYBE the sluggish startup doesn't produce enough vacuum in the engine and the PCM feels that this is a problem. Just guessing, but it does seem to be coincidental.

Along those lines I tried to increase the fuel pulse at startup. Not only increased the pulse, but also reduced the delay programmed in that will keep a second pulse from taking place a certain amount of time from the last pulse. I've noticed that if the car will stall shortly after starting it, it is VERY sluggish trying to restart. Well, come to find out that there was a 10 second delay programmed in keeping that fuel pulse from being triggered again. So I reduced the delay to three seconds and will see how that works.
Unread 11-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #2145
Rich Z

I think it is FINISHED. Just wrapped up the tuning stuff as best I can -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...ad.php?t=92956

Car runs REALLY well. Pretty much like stock but with much bigger balls.

So, just thinking back at the long and rocky road, here's the timeline.

10-27-2009 - drove the car into Chris Harwood's shop.

09-18-2010 - car was towed to Aaron Scott's shop.

11-17-2011 - drove car home from Aaron Scott's shop.

11-21-2013 - FINISHED fixing the car (I hope!) 4 years and 25 days (and a case of Excedrin) later.
Unread 11-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #2146
donzee

Name :
donzee is on a distinguished road

Well , at least you got it done.
Got to hand it to you, you did hang in there to the completion.
donzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #2147
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

You owe yourself a very LARGE PARRRRR-TAY!
I can truthfully say that I'm gonna miss the posts with all of the insights, but
I can also truthfully say that I'm very glad for you that it's finally done.
Now you can get back to enjoying the "Beast"!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #2148
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

I think you now need to take the old hard tires and do a nice smokey burnout with them.... and do a video of course....
Unread 11-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #2149
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
I think you now need to take the old hard tires and do a nice smokey burnout with them.... and do a video of course....
It would be my luck that the suckers would explode and break the oil drain lines coming from my turbos with the flying rubber shrapnel.......
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #2150
Benjamin

Name : BENJAMIN LONG SR.
Benjamin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It would be my luck that the suckers would explode and break the oil drain lines coming from my turbos with the flying rubber shrapnel.......
you should always focus on the joy of things, not what could happen.

Who has done a burnout and NOT had a smile on their face during and afterwards? not this guy....

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports