The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 01-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #11
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Don't get me wrong...

I'm NOT a drifting fan. Like some of you... I think it's a waste of money gay and or stupid. The same could be, and i'm sure is said about doing burnouts in a vette, unless you're on an Old set of tires that you're getting ready to replace, what's the point?
Me... I'm not made of $ , whereas i'm going to throw it away just to show off while trying to impress others.JMO.
Unread 01-23-2007, 07:44 AM   #12
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Yeah, first I ever heard of it was when I watched that movie "Tokyo Drift". Disappointing movie to me.

Personally, to me drifting is something you do when you have mostly lost control of the car and are trying to regain control. Can't see much sense in purposely doing something like that at all. I guess it is a good talent to master if you drive on icy roads, but practically speaking, why else would you want to do something like that?

But I guess they say the same thing about straight line racing......
I guess I get to be the voice of dissention here. Drifters haven't "lost control" of thier vehicles. They are actually exhibiting greater control than most of us out here.

To be able to go around a banked turn at speed ahile hanging the back end out, takes some serious control. We tend to drive wround with our traction controls on and anti lock brakes and depend on the car to keep us out of the ditch.

We get excited and ohh ahhh, when we break the tires loose in a straight line

Drifters on the other hand (and please, I'm referring to professional drifters. Sponsored, on the track, I'm making money doing this...drifters) have complete (or as complete as possible when 2+ tires are moving sideways ) control of thier cars and where they're going. The "point" them where they want them to be, time the drift so as not to hit the wall and somehow (most the time) manage not to roll them over

And to be able to throw your car into a slide at will, again under full control? That takes some practice

Someone mentioned how many parts a guy replaced in his drifting vehicle.

Race the vette (seriously race it) and see what we end up replacing? Diff's, tranny's engines, they all break at some time.

Good tires? Not really. Most of these tires are purposely designed or worn down to drift.

Finally, like Ynkedad sad, most (or many) sports are judged. I think the finesse it takes to do this properly is amazing!

As far as watching hours on end of it?

I find it much more interesting than straight line, 1/4-1/8 mile drag racing, and only a little less boring than NASCAR

What I can't understand, is all the pople that will stand around in the sun quietly, while some joker chases a ball with a stick?

Watching golf is just below watching grass grow

Ok....fire away!!!
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #13
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :

You're right...The control they demonstrate while performing those maneuvers, is awesome to say the least! Not to mention racing, bracket or otherwise.
The $ it must cost for repairs, to do either event must run high, especially if you wreck.

I just wouldn't subject my DD to the rigorous beating cars must take under those extremes.
Would I do the drifting or racing thing...you bet your A$$ I would, just not in my Fete! Because, I know the wife would come unglued on me.
Until some loans me their car so that I might participate in either event...I'll be in the stands oooing and ahhhing.ooh aah!
Unread 01-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #14
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road

Shadows makes some good points and I guess it's all an acquired taste if you will. I still agree with Yankeedad that it's gay. I have to take the George Carlin and say that "drifting" is not a sport!

Drifting is entertainment. I know some will say it's on ESPN but hey, so is poker and that sure as hell is not a sport.....poker? WTF? Neither is ice skating, professional wrestling, tennis or any "sport" where you can't use your hands and doesn't have a ball.

Nice beer btw Yankeedad!

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #15
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'd love to do the drifting thing, but as the yank said, in someone else's car. Must be outrageously expensive to keep those cars up, but it'd be fun to do it. There's a short, indoor adult go-cart race course at Livingston's here in Sarasota and they actually oil the turns so you can drift through them. The carts are pretty quick for this short course, and has plenty of turns and cutbacks. Great fun for $10.00 a run ............Tom
Unread 01-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #16
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile
Yeah, I'd love to do the drifting thing, but as the yank said, in someone else's car. Must be outrageously expensive to keep those cars up, but it'd be fun to do it. There's a short, indoor adult go-cart race course at Livingston's here in Sarasota and they actually oil the turns so you can drift through them. The carts are pretty quick for this short course, and has plenty of turns and cutbacks. Great fun for $10.00 a run ............Tom
Unread 01-23-2007, 01:26 PM   #17
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :

Yea Right! Some of them Go-carts can relally !
Unread 01-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #18
Coastal

Name :
Coastal is on a distinguished road

I was drifting in my Corvair back in HS, before these kids parents were born I can't watch too much of it today but hey, they like it and as long as they don't do it in the street (like I did) let em have fun.

BTW...All sports are entertainment
Unread 01-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #19
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Hell, I remember drifting once way back when I was living in Maryland. Freezing rain caught me out on the road. Noticed the steering wheel felt loose, so I just barely touched the brakes, which of course, locked the rear wheels and stalled the engine. So here I am drifting down the road doing lazy 360s. Nothing I could do, so I just sat back and watched the scenery going by. A curb stopped that drifting event for me.......

Can't say I would want to do that again nor purposely put myself in a position where the tires have all lost traction. I could see where it would be good training to know how to regain control of your car after it lost traction, though.....
Unread 01-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #20
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Costs

Hell.........I can't afford the cost of the tires!!!!

Last edited by JIM KILL; 05-02-2008 at 12:52 PM.
JIM KILL is offline   Reply With Quote