The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 07-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Wonderful car dealership - not!

Quote:
Car dealer gives refund in thousands of pennies

Ken Amaro, WTLV- and WJXX-TV, Jacksonville, Fla.
5:57 p.m. EDT July 23, 2014

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — A woman who filed a complaint against a car dealership here was surprised when she went to pick up her refund: It was mostly in loose change.

In January, Irena Mujakovic bought a 2003 Saab from Holiday Motors of North Florida ended up with transmission problems. The dealer first repaired the vehicle for $300 then sold her a warranty.

But when the transmission went out again, the dealer charged Mujakovic an additional $400, saying its warranty didn't cover labor.

The student said she had to borrow the money to pay the bill. But she also went to the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles, whose investigators directed the company to give her a refund that she tried to get earlier this week.

"There were some $1 bills but mostly pennies, like two full bags," Mujakovic said.

Ed Di Miranda, who runs the dealership, said the money, about $400, was the cash he had on hand, about $85 in coins and the rest in dollar bills. He emptied containers where he keeps spare change because business has been slow.

"I'm doing what the DMV asked me to do," Di Miranda said. "It is legal tender."

Mujakovic was angry, leaving the bags of cash at Holiday Motors because she said she didn't have time to count every penny.

Some banks charge even their customers 2% of a transaction to process pennies, according to Bankrate.com. That would be about $8 in this case, $20 if a bank charged 5% as some do for noncustomers.

Coinstar machines frequently seen in grocery stores charge 10.9% — more than $40 in this case — if a user wants paper money rather than a gift card or e-certificate, according to the company's website.

Di Miranda said the incident occurred because he inadvertently omitted a clause in Mujakovic's warranty contract.

"The warranty did not cover labor, and I failed to write that in," he said. "That was her loophole."

Mujakovic still doesn't have her money; Di Miranda said the bags of cash are waiting for her at Holiday Motors.
Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...fund/13038515/
Unread 07-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Nice.....
Unread 07-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

That is bull chit .
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, if their business has been slow lately, just wait till potential customers catch wind of how they treat current customers.
Unread 07-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

When I lived in Jax there was a dealer that would sell trade-ins before the deal was complete. Sold several with out titles and the deal fell through leaving some one with out a car. Jax was/is notorious for this kind of thing.
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
Cor66Vette

Name :
Cor66Vette has disabled reputation

Those long-accepted attitudes of comparing used car salesmen to the lowest of life's inhabitants has always been enough for me to avoid them. I never did and never will buy a car off a used car lot. I would buy a used car from a car dealer's lot, but not from an independent lot.
Cor66Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
When I lived in Jax there was a dealer that would sell trade-ins before the deal was complete. Sold several with out titles and the deal fell through leaving some one with out a car. Jax was/is notorious for this kind of thing.
Had one of those who owned a local chebby dealer a few years ago. Was doing the exact same thing. At least he lost the dealership and spent a few years in a prison for his BS.