The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road in Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road in Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences in Florida

Unread 06-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road
Default Points of interest in Florida.

Well folks, I need a vacation and would like to get away from the bay area at least. Sad to say, i have lived in FLA since 1990 and have never really been around the state.

Anyone have any places you can recommend (non amusement park) type place to relax and have fun? I'll be with my girlfriend of course....

Just throw whatever out there any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

p.s. roads need to be vette friendly!! screw gas prices!!
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road

That depends what you are looking for and how much you want to spend bud? Are you looking to get away completely, are you looking to party until the next afternoon or are you looking to catch a few sites, relax a little, do a little cruising and enjoy the breeze, etc.

I've been all over the state so I need a little more info and what your expectations are.

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
chris308
spam sniper

good catch, should have put that in there.

Neither my gf or myself really drink so not into the party clubs or getting sh1t-faced till morning!! LOL

Looking for maybe some nice resorts or beaches to relax on maybe do some scubba stuff like that, maybe check out some FL history stuff, crap like that i guess.

I've always wanted to go by key west area, maybe something to do down there or stay??

Thanks Guro
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
Guro305
Heathen

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris308 View Post
good catch, should have put that in there.

Neither my gf or myself really drink so not into the party clubs or getting sh1t-faced till morning!! LOL

Looking for maybe some nice resorts or beaches to relax on maybe do some scubba stuff like that, maybe check out some FL history stuff, crap like that i guess.

I've always wanted to go by key west area, maybe something to do down there or stay??

Thanks Guro
You're first and last statement are total contradictions!!!! You don't want to party till your s#!tfaced but you want to go to Key West?! Again.....

Key West is 8 sq. miles of nothing but crazy people who love to party and bulls#!t. If you want to catch some Florida history, then St. Augustine is your best bet. Remember, St. Augustine is the U.S.'s oldest city. It's older then dirt.....good stuff!

On the otherhand, Key West is the one place to go to get completely lost from any and all civilization. There is a reason the "conchs" (slang term for Key Westers) call it the "Conch Republic." It is the one place where it almost seems you are too far away from the rest of the country for them to really give a s#!t about. Kinda like Tatooine in Star Wars.

The scenary is beautiful. The eye candy is good too. However, while in Key West, if the eye candy gets too close, always, ALWAYS, poke it in the throat!!!! Better to be safe then sorry. Even if you don't drink, you should still have a blast. There is lots of stuff to do. There is the Key West Aquarium. Their is the Shipwreck Museum. Mel Fisher's Museum for the Atocha. The East Martello Museum (I'll touch on it later). There's Ripley's Believe it or Not.

If you want to go fishing, Key West sucks! In Key West, the only good fishing is to take a charter to the Dry Tortugas. There is also a great tour to the Dry Tortugas that takes you to Fort Jefferson State Park. It's cool as cool can be and has primo snorkeling. And Key West's biggest attraction is it's beautiful sunset off of Malory Square. This is not only an exquisite sunset but there is lots of street performers doing all kinds of stunts for tips. If you do goto Key West, I recommend you take the Ghost Tour out of La Concha Resort.

They will tell you about Robert the Enchanted Doll. Do your own research on this one. Robert, can be seen in all his glory at the East Martello Museum. I consider myself very lucky because I'm one of so-called few to have photographed it and not only got a clean picture but hasn't had anything bad happen to him. You must remember to ask for permission to photograph. Again, do your own research.

Did I mention it is a requirement when visiting Key West to a) stop at Sloppy Joe's and have a Sloppy Joe Sandwich b) Visit the Blonde Giraffe and have a piece of the greatest Key Lime pie on the face of the universe and c) Eat fresh Conch Fritters from the Conch Fritter stand in front of the aquarium? Well, now you know.

Unread 06-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Go the back roads to St. Augustine and stay in the oldest city in the USA for a couple days. Then head down to Cape Canaveral and take a behind the scenes tour of the Space program. Then head down to the Keys and stay in Key West and visit Hemingways' home, great restaurants, musems with recovered coins, etc. The Key deer are really a sight to behold. They look like Bambi!! I also recommend eating some of the best Pizza in the USA at the No Name Pub in No Name Key which is adjacent to BIG Pine KEy about 45 miles from Key West.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

I will throw in Islamorada. Snorkeling,Scuba,Fishing,Food,Laidback or Out Late, Resort or Motel, Condo or House, pick your accomidations. It's not Key West but they don't wanna be.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Guro305
Heathen

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail View Post
I will throw in Islamorada. Snorkeling,Scuba,Fishing,Food,Laidback or Out Late, Resort or Motel, Condo or House, pick your accomidations. It's not Key West but they don't wanna be.

Islamorada exists because a) It's the sports fishing capital of the world and b) the tiki bar. Outside of that

I'd still rather live there however, then hear.

I almost forgot, the Theatre of the Sea. It is worth seeing.

Last edited by Guro305; 06-11-2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Correction
Unread 06-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
chris308
spam sniper

Thanks for the posts so far guys! Much appreciated....

Guro, thanks man for the KW itinerary!! lol
Unread 06-12-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
Guro305
Heathen

Name :

Quote:
Thanks for the posts so far guys! Much appreciated....

Guro, thanks man for the KW itinerary!! lol
Jou got it meng! Don't forget the single biggest and most popular photo op' in the C.R......and also free, the "Southern Most Point" buoy.

No trip to Bone Key is complete without. Also, if you want to piss of the locals, make sure that you refer to Conchs as Conch or Conches not (Conks) as it's pronounced. However, when referring to La Concha Resort, make sure to call it La Conka. I know I'm being a bastard but it sure is funny to see the look on their faces!!!! Check out it's bar on the rooftop. It kicks ass and make sure you ask the bartender specifically for white wine. Check with the Ghost Tour people first but I'm sure it's white wine. This is only at the rooftop bar. You will laugh your a$s off at the look on the bartender's face and I promise you it'll be the only drink served to you in a plastic glass/cup and not glass. They will tell you why.

P.S. Two words you need to know for the Ghost Tour......"You're Doomed!"

Unread 06-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #10
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Quote:

p.s. roads need to be vette friendly!! screw gas prices!!
My sentiments EXACTLY!

From what I've seen and heard, there are more things to do and places to see in Florida than you can shake TWO sticks at! It all depends on what you're looking for.
Been to Key West twice.......both times by car....the ride down thru the Keys is worth it if you've never been there before, and Key West itself is.....well........Key West. Once you've been there, you'll know!
I think that there is a ferry to Key West as well, and I think it leaves from Naples. Go to Naples, spend a day or two, take the ferry to Key West (parking in Key West is non-existant/pain-in-the-@$$), stay a few days, then return to Naples on the ferry. I know that there is one Corvette club that has done this trip before with the Vettes.
Two things that I want to do with my wife in the near future are 1) an air boat ride in the Everglades, and 2) parasailing preferably somewhere in the Keys. I took our 3 kids to Key Largo for a weeks vacation, and 2 of them went parasailing. I got a waterproof disposable camera and let them each take some pictures while they were up there, and the pictures are AWESOME! You can see both sides of the Keys while you're up there, and the view appears to be wonderful. I've never parasailed in my life, so it should be an experience.
Whatever you decide to do, just go at it with the attitude that you're gonna have fun, and you will ! Just remember to let us know what you decide to do, and how you liked it. Someone else here might try it based on your experience.
As another thought......you might tag along with one of the clubs represented on this forum for a cruise somewhere. Most of the people that I've spoken with are eager to welcome ANYONE with a Vette to their cruises whether you're a member or not. Check out the events section and see if there's anything in your area or anything that interests you. If you're looking for someone to go with you, post what you are planning here and see if anyone else is interrested! I'm sure that there will be others jumping in here with their thoughts as well. Whatever you decide, HAVE FUN!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote