The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road in Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road in Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences in Florida

Unread 04-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #41
gunnerrun

Name :
gunnerrun has disabled reputation
Default Trap

The area around Tally appears to always be heavily patrolled with both marked and unmarked units. Coming west on I-10 around Greenville, I believe it is Greenville, there is an overpass that has a FHP working the west side of it. He is almost always hidden in the thick median woods or writing a ticket in the area. I think he's using the instant on but don't know for sure. I've seen him there so many times I am on the limit as soon as I approach the overpass.

I also have a Val-1 and love it. I think of my vette as ticket target and even though I might be at the same speed as the other traffic I worry that it might attract the wrong kind of attention. When my detector goes off I make sure I am at the limit or very close regardless of what those around me are doing. Most of the other vettes I see on the interstate are usually moving with the flow of traffic. I guess much of leo interest stems from the premise that vettes either have or will be speeders, so for a few MPH when leo has the opportunity he issues a nasty based on the principle of missed opportunity. When I'm in the towns there is so much detector noise I am especially careful to be at the limit.
gunnerrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #42
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerrun View Post
I guess much of leo interest stems from the premise that vettes either have or will be speeders, so for a few MPH when leo has the opportunity he issues a nasty based on the principle of missed opportunity. When I'm in the towns there is so much detector noise I am especially careful to be at the limit.

Wrong.

There are thousands of cars passing him every few minutes on a highway like that. Police don't care who's speeding. The "premise that vettes either have or will be speeders" is ridiculous. I think that could be said on ANY automotive board. Mustanks would say it, zippy little Italian cars or German cars could say it, the ricers say it... PLEEEAASSEEE. Police don't care that you went by at the speed limit, and don't care to hold a grudge "Boy that guy pissed me off because I am dying to write a Vette owner a ticket. If I get a VETTE at 3mph over he's getting it".

If you go by and are doing the speed limit the police officer doesnt care. He will wait a few more minutes and nab the giant SUV with the driver gabbing on the cell phone for all he cares. They do not falsify tickets, and the make of the car (or color for that matter no matter what people and rumors say) matter to the radar or laser unit. Just stick close to the speed limit and you will be ok.

It is true that the Mayors, County Commissions, and State governing bodies want more tickets due to decreased tax revenue and this false "budget shortfall" that they want to trick us into believing, but the officers swore an oath, and BELIEVE in that oath to act in a lawful manner.

YOU ARE NOT A TARGET JUST BECAUSE YOU HAPPEN TO OWN OR DRIVE A CORVETTE.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #43
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

^ I agree. Actually the little rice burners get more attention than the Vettes do. Why? Young kids usually are the drivers of the rice burners, the Vette drivers are usually old guys like me. I don't recall the last time I stopped a Vette (besides running down Rich last year!) Vette drivers are for the most part good drivers. The ricers.....well, we were all young once weren't we! As for the revenue generated by traffic citations, I believe the county keeps about $12.00 on each citation. The state gets most of it, along with DMV.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #44
gunnerrun

Name :
Smile Better Safe

Better safe than sorry. My view help keep me safe from tickets. Good point re the ricers.

Used to know a lot of leos. They liked ticketing the fancy cars. There's some of everything out there in all profession, kinda like opinions.
Unread 04-09-2008, 01:35 AM   #45
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerrun View Post
Better safe than sorry. My view help keep me safe from tickets. Good point re the ricers.

Used to know a lot of leos. They liked ticketing the fancy cars. There's some of everything out there in all profession, kinda like opinions.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. LEOs are all people and there are a lot of different personalities out there. I do know for a fact that my C5Z catches a lot of looks from the leos when they are in oncoming traffic. So they ARE paying attention to our cars. I don't get near the looks in the Silverado or the Astro van......
Unread 04-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #46
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. LEOs are all people and there are a lot of different personalities out there. I do know for a fact that my C5Z catches a lot of looks from the leos when they are in oncoming traffic. So they ARE paying attention to our cars. I don't get near the looks in the Silverado or the Astro van......
But most LEO's (not all, just most) are men, so a sports car is appealing to them. I look at sports cars be it Corvettes, Mustanks, European imports etc.... How many people have you heard say,,, "oh oh, I cant wait to buy an Astro van"........

In my 10 years I have NEVER heard another LEO say that they like to ticket any type of car (make/model). I have heard, and have my own pet peeves that I like to enforce. My favorite is stereo volume noise pollution, along with people that pull out in front of you to violate your right of way. I HATE the bass thump that you can hear from blocks away, and the danger of the crash the right of way violators can cause. My old squad partner was an eagle eye for expired tags,,, got several a day it seemed. Still others may feel a need to write speed cites, but it has never been any specific make/model/color of a car that was "targeted". If the officer is in the mood to write a pet peeve citation it will happen no matter what the violator is driving if that person violated the law that the officer is looking for.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #47
gunnerrun

Name :
Default LEO

My apologies to any of the leos that may have taken my stereotypical comments regarding targeting corvettes. I hold no ill will against leos. I very much respect and appreciate the fact they work in a profession that is many times highly stressful, dangerous, taxing on family life, and unappreciated all to often by the people they work for. All the best to the hard working LEOs that truly believe in serving and protecting. My hat is off to you.